Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stick Templating

Can someone please explain "stick templating"? Is it just gluing up strips
of thin wood into like a lattice to measure a countertop ? Thanks, John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 7:17 am, Johnny_A_58 wrote:
Can someone please explain "stick templating"? Is it just gluing up strips
of thin wood into like a lattice to measure a countertop ? Thanks, John

basically, yes.

the thin strips allow you to scribe walls individually rather than
having to fit the whole thing in one shot. hot glue and brads or
staples seems to be the ticket for a quick strong lightweight template.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 May 2008 14:17:35 GMT, Johnny_A_58
wrote:

Can someone please explain "stick templating"? Is it just gluing up strips
of thin wood into like a lattice to measure a countertop ?

Yes. The granite guys here use that method to template the
countertops. One guy uses strips of cardboard and another uses
corrugated plastic sign material. I don't know how they hold together
on the truck ride back to the shop. I guess they do because the tops
usually fit.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike O. wrote:

Yes. The granite guys here use that method to template the
countertops. One guy uses strips of cardboard and another uses
corrugated plastic sign material. I don't know how they hold together
on the truck ride back to the shop. I guess they do because the tops
usually fit.

I've seen a version of it with just a single stick, and the outline of
the stick is drawn in various locations on the template material. Since
the size of the stick is fixed, this allows for the shape to be
recreated later.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:

I've seen a version of it with just a single stick, and the outline of
the stick is drawn in various locations on the template material. Since
the size of the stick is fixed, this allows for the shape to be
recreated later.

That's the boat builder's version of sticking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 10:17*am, Johnny_A_58 wrote:
Can someone please explain "stick templating"? *Is it just gluing up strips
of thin wood into like a lattice to measure a countertop ? Thanks, John

Buy a luan doorskin..(less than 10 bucks) and rip it into 2-7/8"
strips. Use tin-snips to cut to length and hot-melt with an Arrow 1/2"
hotmelt gun. Total value of the deal.. about 30 bucks... and it is the
way to do bathroom floor templates, countertops, slabs of barkerboard
around windows..etc, etc.

My countertops always fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Mike O. wrote:

Yes. The granite guys here use that method to template the
countertops. One guy uses strips of cardboard and another uses
corrugated plastic sign material. I don't know how they hold together
on the truck ride back to the shop. I guess they do because the tops
usually fit.

I've seen a version of it with just a single stick, and the outline of the
stick is drawn in various locations on the template material. Since the
size of the stick is fixed, this allows for the shape to be recreated
later.

Chris

Also, called a story stick. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 22:19:46 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"
wrote:

Also, called a story stick. :-)

Not really.

In "tick sticking", you're marking the location of the stick on the
template, not on the stick.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Scribing_three_edges.html

A "story stick" is marked itself, with things like shelf locations,
for making identical or mirror imaged parts.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote:

Not really.

In "tick sticking", you're marking the location of the stick on the
template, not on the stick.

A "story stick" is marked itself, with things like shelf locations,
for making identical or mirror imaged parts.

Standard stuff to layout bulkheads inside a boat hull.

Fred Bingham covers it in Practical Yacht Joinery.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 May 2008 00:13:29 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Standard stuff to layout bulkheads inside a boat hull.

Fred Bingham covers it in Practical Yacht Joinery.

Lew

I was so waiting for you to post that. Seriously! G

I learned to tick stick from a yacht fitter.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Also, called a story stick. :-)

Not really.

In "tick sticking", you're marking the location of the stick on the
template, not on the stick.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Scribing_three_edges.html

A "story stick" is marked itself, with things like shelf locations,
for making identical or mirror imaged parts.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

I re-read the earlier post, and I agree it's not a story stick. I use sticks
a lot instead of measuring, but the marks are always on the stick.

Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 05:31 AM
USB Mem stick / pen Fred Electronics Repair 5 June 26th 06 06:51 AM
non-stick jig Dan Major Woodworking 3 July 20th 05 06:08 PM
Templating method. Robatoy Woodworking 1 March 3rd 05 04:26 PM