Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight - Extended Warranty

Lobby Dosser wrote:

That's right, HF is now offering extended warranties. Got to the cash
register the other day with a ten dollar electric buffer and the clerk
asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for it. I started laughing
and he took that as a no. I think the price was in the neighborhood of
what I'd just paid for the buffer.

I had a lathe (knock off of a Jet/Delta 14") that had the motor go out on
it. I dropped by my local HF and asked if they could order the motor for
me. The manager asked if I had an extended warranty? I said no and that I
had bought it from the mail order branch about three years ago. He
said, "Tell you what, you buy a two year warranty and I will replace the
entire lathe." Not being born yesterday, I took home a new lathe cheaper
than I could have purchased the motor.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

That's right, HF is now offering extended warranties. Got to the cash
register the other day with a ten dollar electric buffer and the
clerk asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for it. I started
laughing and he took that as a no. I think the price was in the
neighborhood of what I'd just paid for the buffer.

I had a lathe (knock off of a Jet/Delta 14") that had the motor go out
on it. I dropped by my local HF and asked if they could order the
motor for me. The manager asked if I had an extended warranty? I
said no and that I had bought it from the mail order branch about
three years ago. He said, "Tell you what, you buy a two year warranty
and I will replace the entire lathe." Not being born yesterday, I
took home a new lathe cheaper than I could have purchased the motor.

I have seen stuff hauled in that looked like it had been dragged behind
the customers truck.

'Course, I've seen stuff carried out that looked like it was dragged
across the Pacific. But yes, I do shop there for stuff I expect to kill
pretty quickly. I'd rather kill a $10 buffer I might never use again than
buy a $150 Brand. And, as someone else noted, some of it just won't die.