Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a small router

Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have actually
used it.

:http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=PR20EVSK

Anything better?
No Festool please.
;-)
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used
one of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to
be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have
actually
used it.

:http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=PR20EVSK

Anything better?
No Festool please.
;-)
--
Lits Slut #9

I have one and am well pleased with it. I keep a 3/16" round over bit
in it but also use it for chamfers and laminate trimming.
Nice little router.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have actually
used it.

:http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=PR20EVSK

Anything better?
No Festool please.
;-)

I have several Bosch routers, including the Colt - mine is not variable
speed. It has a "soft start", a nice feature. It's primarily an edge
trimming machine and for that, it works fine. I don't use it for dados,
joinery etc.

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote

Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one

of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have actually
used it.

Have the Colt ... use it more often than I thought when I bought as a
laminate trimmer. I turned into the "go to" router for almost all edge
routing tasks that don't require an edge guide.

In short, if it's a 1/4" bit job, it usually goes to the Bosch Colt.

Possible the only dislike is the locking arbor for bit changes. I am a "two
wrench" router guy, and hate fiddling with the damned arbor lock button on
the Colt.

Other than that, you will not go wrong with the tool in my estimation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Stein took a can of maroon spray paint on April 30, 2008 05:45 pm and
wrote the following:

FrozenNorth wrote:
Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one
of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have
actually used it.

:http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=PR20EVSK

Anything better?
No Festool please.
;-)

I have several Bosch routers, including the Colt - mine is not variable
speed. It has a "soft start", a nice feature. It's primarily an edge
trimming machine and for that, it works fine. I don't use it for dados,
joinery etc.

Edge trimming is what I need, but due to space constraints, don't have room
to get a full size router to the edge that needs trimming. How do you
think it would do with a 3/4" straight bit with a bearing (I'll get a Lee
Valley bit as they are only 10 minutes away and I can pick it up) in knotty
pine.

--
Lits Slut #9

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman took a can of maroon spray paint on April 30, 2008 05:50 pm and
wrote the following:

"FrozenNorth" wrote

Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one

of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have
actually used it.

Have the Colt ... use it more often than I thought when I bought as a
laminate trimmer. I turned into the "go to" router for almost all edge
routing tasks that don't require an edge guide.

In short, if it's a 1/4" bit job, it usually goes to the Bosch Colt.

Possible the only dislike is the locking arbor for bit changes. I am a
"two wrench" router guy, and hate fiddling with the damned arbor lock
button on the Colt.

Other than that, you will not go wrong with the tool in my estimation.

So far sounds good, I'll stop by Lee Valley and get a nice sharp bit on the
way home from work tomorrow, the router is 20% off this weekend at Rona (a
Canadian Borg, but with *much* more knowledgable staff than HD).

--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:17:37 GMT, FrozenNorth
wrote:

Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have actually
used it.

:http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=PR20EVSK

Anything better?
No Festool please.
;-)

Someday I'm going to get a trim router. Probably Bosch or Milwaukee,
Porter Cable is not what it used to be. The router attachment on the
Dremmel works well for small jobs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 4:17*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? *The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have actually
used it.

:http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...ductDetail.asp...

Anything better?
No Festool please.
;-)
--
Lits Slut #9

I have a Bosch Colt Plam router and it great, the soft start makes it
is to handle and it has plenty of power.. It great for rounding over
or other small jobs.

Randy
http:/nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have actually
used it.

:http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=PR20EVSK

Anything better?
No Festool please.
;-)

Have the PC trim router, most used router I have. Light, easy to
control. No frills, just does the job. Only complaint is the bit
usually sticks in the collet, requiring a tap on the side of the bit
with a block of wood to loosen it. Depth control is rather crude, but works.

Plenty of power for most edge work. Also spins a 1/4" spiral bit well
enough to cleanly cut wheels out of 3/4 material with three passes.

Wife got it for me on a significant day of some sort. It won't die,
else I think I would get the Bosch. Never used one, but the feel in the
store is nice.

--
Bill B.

http://home.comcast.net/~bberg100

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote

So far sounds good, I'll stop by Lee Valley and get a nice sharp bit on

the
way home from work tomorrow, the router is 20% off this weekend at Rona (a
Canadian Borg, but with *much* more knowledgable staff than HD).

I think I got mine at Lowes. You will be pleased with the tool ... it's one
of those that just feels good to the hand.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 5:50*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"FrozenNorth" wrote

Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one

of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? *The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have actually
used it.

Have the Colt ... use it more often than I thought when I bought as a
laminate trimmer. I turned into the "go to" router for almost all edge
routing tasks that don't require an edge guide.

In short, if it's a 1/4" bit job, it usually goes to the Bosch Colt.

Possible the only dislike is the locking arbor for bit changes. I am a "two
wrench" router guy, and hate fiddling with the damned arbor lock button on
the Colt.

Other than that, you will not go wrong with the tool in my estimation.

I quite like the Colt. Perfect for a one-handed easing of an edge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

Most Bosch tools seem to get a good recommendation here, anyone used one
of
these smaller "palm" routers, any thoughts? The link below appears to be
pretty good, just would like an opinion from someone who may have actually
used it.

:http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=PR20EVSK

I got one in December. I've been mostly satisfied, however, the depth
adjustment is a bit non-intuitive and is difficult to get fine adjustments
(tends to be quite a bit of friction to overcome to get things to move and
then everything moves at once). Otherwise, it works really well and I
really like it for smaller work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 11:22*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:

*I've been mostly satisfied, however, the depth
adjustment is a bit non-intuitive and is difficult to get fine adjustments
(tends to be quite a bit of friction to overcome to get things to move and
then everything moves at once). *

Yes. I found that as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 30, 11:22 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:

I've been mostly satisfied, however, the depth
adjustment is a bit non-intuitive and is difficult to get fine

adjustments
(tends to be quite a bit of friction to overcome to get things to move

and
then everything moves at once).

Yes. I found that as well.

Hmmm ... mine works quite well. AAMOF, I thought it was rather remarkable in
that the fine adjustment on my Colt worked better than on any other router I
own.

Quality Control ... or could it have something to do with the locking
mechanism?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman took a can of maroon spray paint on April 30, 2008 09:59 pm and
wrote the following:

"FrozenNorth" wrote

So far sounds good, I'll stop by Lee Valley and get a nice sharp bit on

the
way home from work tomorrow, the router is 20% off this weekend at Rona
(a Canadian Borg, but with *much* more knowledgable staff than HD).

I think I got mine at Lowes. You will be pleased with the tool ... it's
one of those that just feels good to the hand.

Got the bits, ordered them from the Lee Valley website for an in store
pickup, after the prior post here, got an email this morning before 9am
that they were ready for pickup, stopped by and got them on the way home
from work, in and out in less than a minute.

Now that is a shopping experience.
;-)

I'll get the router tomorrow, assuming my local Rona store has them in
stock, probably use it on Saturday, I'll post my impressions.
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 30, 11:22 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:

I've been mostly satisfied, however, the depth
adjustment is a bit non-intuitive and is difficult to get fine

adjustments
(tends to be quite a bit of friction to overcome to get things to move

and
then everything moves at once).

Yes. I found that as well.

Hmmm ... mine works quite well. AAMOF, I thought it was rather remarkable
in that the fine adjustment on my Colt worked better than on any other
router I own.

Quality Control ... or could it have something to do with the locking
mechanism?

It definitely has something to do with the locking mechanism. In addition
to the large amount of "sticktion" that must be overcome to get things
moving, I've also found that after I get the depth I want, if I'm not
extremely careful locking down the adjustment, the locking mechanism shifts
the depth for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth took a can of maroon spray paint on May 1, 2008 05:45 pm and
wrote the following:

Swingman took a can of maroon spray paint on April 30, 2008 09:59 pm and
wrote the following:

"FrozenNorth" wrote

So far sounds good, I'll stop by Lee Valley and get a nice sharp bit on

the
way home from work tomorrow, the router is 20% off this weekend at Rona
(a Canadian Borg, but with *much* more knowledgable staff than HD).

I think I got mine at Lowes. You will be pleased with the tool ... it's
one of those that just feels good to the hand.

Got the bits, ordered them from the Lee Valley website for an in store
pickup, after the prior post here, got an email this morning before 9am
that they were ready for pickup, stopped by and got them on the way home
from work, in and out in less than a minute.

Now that is a shopping experience.
;-)

I'll get the router tomorrow, assuming my local Rona store has them in
stock, probably use it on Saturday, I'll post my impressions.

As a follow-up, wow, that is an amazing tool, no problems with the depth
adjustment, it trimmed out exactly what I wanted that my full sized router
would never have gotten near.

Colour me impressed, need to dig out the chisels to clean a few parts up,
but the major part of the job is done. Thanks all.
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

Have some experience with that Colt, see link:
http://patwarner.com/pr20_subbase.html