Posted to rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

Default Strong corners

I am building a plyometric jumping box using 3/4 plywood with about a 7
degree taper (to avoid tip over) with a platform size of 20 x 24. There will
be 5 total boards; front, rear, right, left and a center for extra strength.
I am thinking about dadoing the corners and the center on the front and rear
boards for the sides to slide into to gain extra strength and stability as
opposed to just butting the ends together with glue and nails.

Is dadoing a better option? I know it's probably not the strongest
connection compared to a dovetail or something else, but I don't have a
dovetail template. Therefore, will the dado be sufficient or is something
else better?

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

"SBH" wrote in message
news:Nb2dnQ_Q8JH2MozVnZ2dnUVZ_smnnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
I am building a plyometric jumping box using 3/4 plywood with about a 7
degree taper (to avoid tip over) with a platform size of 20 x 24. There
will be 5 total boards; front, rear, right, left and a center for extra
strength. I am thinking about dadoing the corners and the center on the
front and rear boards for the sides to slide into to gain extra strength
and stability as opposed to just butting the ends together with glue and
nails.

Is dadoing a better option? I know it's probably not the strongest
connection compared to a dovetail or something else, but I don't have a
dovetail template. Therefore, will the dado be sufficient or is something
else better?

Thank you

Perhaps "rabbeting" is also prefered over "dadoing".

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi,

I'm not quite sure what a jujping box is, but I assume that you will
be jumping on it.

The force of jumping on it is going to try to push the two adjacent
sides apart. A rabbet joint doesn't give you any more long wood grain
surfaces in contact than does a butt joint, if you think about it.

I'd cut a dado in the top for the sides. That will keep the side
panels from spreading apart, at the top. Then fasten the side to
side joint with glue and screws, and at the bottom of the side to side
join, on the inside, put a glue block to keep the bottom from
spreading when a person jumps on it.

The 7 degree taper will make it interesting to cut dados and glue
blocks that are tight fitting, but it should be possible with a few
mental gymnastics. (If it were me, I have to cut two test joints
first, to spoil them in figuring it out.)

Good luck.

Old Guy

On Apr 25, 5:18*am, "SBH" wrote:
I am building a plyometric jumping box using 3/4 plywood with about a 7
degree taper (to avoid tip over) with a platform size of 20 x 24. There will
be 5 total boards; front, rear, right, left and a center for extra strength.
I am thinking about dadoing the corners and the center on the front and rear
boards for the sides to slide into to gain extra strength and stability as
opposed to just butting the ends together with glue and nails.

Is dadoing a better option? I know it's probably not the strongest
connection compared to a dovetail or something else, but I don't have a
dovetail template. Therefore, will the dado be sufficient or is something
else better?

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
I am building a plyometric jumping box using 3/4 plywood with about a 7
degree taper (to avoid tip over) with a platform size of 20 x 24. There

will
be 5 total boards; front, rear, right, left and a center for extra

strength.
I am thinking about dadoing the corners and the center on the front and

rear
boards for the sides to slide into to gain extra strength and stability as
opposed to just butting the ends together with glue and nails.

Is dadoing a better option? I know it's probably not the strongest
connection compared to a dovetail or something else, but I don't have a
dovetail template. Therefore, will the dado be sufficient or is something
else better?

Just some FWIW, off the cuff, thoughts:

If I understand your concept, and since these things are normally made of
welded metal due to the forces they encounter, the "taper" appears to be the
'Achilles heel' as far as strength/resistance to the corner joints spreading
under force is concerned.

IMO, if you're going to rely solely on woodworking joints to hold up under
the intended use, it would behoove you to use a joint exhibiting the
strongest inherent mechanical properties.

If dovetails are out of the question, my next choice would probably be a
well glued "locking rabbet" joint for the four corners.

This type of joint can be cut with either a router bit set made for the
purpose, or on a table saw, and will give you more strength along than a
rebate joint.

I would also consider insetting/gluing the top "platform" in a dado, which
would increase the strength a bit more as well and/or, if weight is not an
issue, insetting a bottom, just like the top.

and a center for extra strength.

Due to the taper, and the force from jumping, you might want to consider
interior cross bracing, to tie the tapered sides together, as well.

.... I have a severe tendency to overbuild/engineer, so you might want to
take that into consideration as well.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message
news:Nb2dnQ_Q8JH2MozVnZ2dnUVZ_smnnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
I am building a plyometric jumping box using 3/4 plywood with about
a 7 degree taper (to avoid tip over) with a platform size of 20 x
24. There will be 5 total boards; front, rear, right, left and a
center for extra strength. I am thinking about dadoing the corners
and the center on the front and rear boards for the sides to slide
into to gain extra strength and stability as opposed to just
butting
the ends together with glue and nails.

Is dadoing a better option? I know it's probably not the strongest
connection compared to a dovetail or something else, but I don't
have a dovetail template. Therefore, will the dado be sufficient or
is something else better?

Thank you

Perhaps "rabbeting" is also prefered over "dadoing".

Certainly a rabbet will help, but you might want to consider using
some blocking in the corners--this is what you're going
for--http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/cornerblock.php

According to my CAD program, for your 7 degree corners you need an
angle on the "square" side of 89.14 degrees. If you leave it at 90,
over a 3/4 inch section that should put you out about .01 inch, so
it's worthwhile to cut the angle--if you can hit 89.14 that's good but
just going for 89 should put you close enough for an adequate glue
bond (you want the bond line to be between .003 and .006 inch with
most adhesives).

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
: Certainly a rabbet will help, but you might want to consider using
: some blocking in the corners [...]

: According to my CAD program, for your 7 degree corners you need an
: angle on the "square" side of 89.14 degrees. If you leave it at 90,
: over a 3/4 inch section that should put you out about .01 inch, so
: it's worthwhile to cut the angle [...]

Here's what I'd do:

The important thing is that the angle on the blocks matches the angle
on the sides for a good glue joint. I wouldn't trust myself to be
able to measure anything down to less than a degree, but I can handle
"the same". You're going to need to cut the sides with the compound
angles, so I'd attach blocks to the corners before cutting, and cut
the blocks and sides at the same time. Or cut the blocks using the
same setup as the sides.

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

I would also consider insetting/gluing the top "platform" in a dado, which
would increase the strength a bit more as well and/or, if weight is not an
issue, insetting a bottom, just like the top.

and a center for extra strength.

I have seen these plyometric boxes made of doubled 3/4" plyood. Esentially
an inch and a half plywood boards. That was strong and heavy.

Due to the taper, and the force from jumping, you might want to consider
interior cross bracing, to tie the tapered sides together, as well.

I have seen the wood boxes made with internal braces of steel. They were
attached with carriage bolts. This made for a smooth appearance and no
jagged edges on the outside of the boxes.

... I have a severe tendency to overbuild/engineer, so you might want to
take that into consideration as well.

Nothing wrong with that. Particularly if human flesh and bone hangs in the
balance. I have built a lot of gym equipment over the years and my stuff is
strong enough to support elephants.

True story; I was on a fitness newsgroup when somebody asked me to help him
with "step racks". This is just a simple plywood and 2 X 4 rack to protect
you if you fail at the bench press or squat movements. I made a crude
drawing in Corel Draw, and gave him some feedback to insure he built it
strong enough. He was intimidated by the project and had a carpenter friend
build it for him.

He became emboldened with his new safety devices and pushed himself beyond
his abilities to recover safely while doing the bench press. He lost the
lift and the weight crashed into the step racks. He ended up with a minor
bruise on his chest. He had a good scare and learned much from the
experience. Nothing hurt but his pride though.

He had his carpenter friend check out the rack after the big crash. It got a
clean bill of health and comment on he could now see why I emphasized all
the extra bracing and adhesive. I built a lot of these step racks over the
years and it felt good that I was able to prevent an injury in this case.
Sooooo....., there ain't no such thing as overbuilding when it comes to
flesh and bone.

Lee Michaels

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote:
I am building a plyometric jumping box using 3/4 plywood with about a
7 degree taper (to avoid tip over) with a platform size of 20 x 24.
There will be 5 total boards; front, rear, right, left and a center
for extra strength. I am thinking about dadoing the corners and the
center on the front and rear boards for the sides to slide into to
gain extra strength and stability as opposed to just butting the ends
together with glue and nails.

If I were going to build these, I would use epoxy, fiberglass and
fairing putty made using epoxy and microballoons.

Position the pieces using butt joints that are "close" (they don't
have to be exact), then apply fairing putty.

Next day, sand off rough spots, then apply a layer of glass wet out
with epoxy.

Let it cure a couple of days before using.

The plywood will turn to compost before the joint fails.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

"SBH" wrote in message
news:Nb2dnQ_Q8JH2MozVnZ2dnUVZ_smnnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
I am building a plyometric jumping box using 3/4 plywood with about a 7
degree taper (to avoid tip over) with a platform size of 20 x 24. There
will be 5 total boards; front, rear, right, left and a center for extra
strength. I am thinking about dadoing the corners and the center on the
front and rear boards for the sides to slide into to gain extra strength
and stability as opposed to just butting the ends together with glue and
nails.

Is dadoing a better option? I know it's probably not the strongest
connection compared to a dovetail or something else, but I don't have a
dovetail template. Therefore, will the dado be sufficient or is something
else better?

Thank you

Thank you for all the advice and am considering all of them. I do have one
more question, which the words from the advice have made me think.

The platform, as I stated, will be a 24 x 20 rectangle, of course.
Obviously, the idea to taper is purely to eliminate the potential to tip
over, especially at 30" in height. In general, I would believe a square box
with straight 90 degree sides, would/could tip over. But since this is
rectangle, I was thinking of making two sides at the tapered angle while the
ends of the 24" side would be straight (90 degree), since I beleive the
potential to tip over is limited, or non existence, on a 2 foot length. The
main reason I think of changing is to add strength to the box, as some have
stated when jumping/landing on top. Thus, the straight 90 degree sides will
provide a structure with greater integrity and the front and back tapered
sides will eliminate tipping over.

Any extra thoughts?

Thank you

BTW, I've decided to use boxed corner joint and a traingular blocking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote:
I am building a plyometric jumping box using 3/4 plywood with about a
7 degree taper (to avoid tip over) with a platform size of 20 x 24.
There will be 5 total boards; front, rear, right, left and a center
for extra strength. I am thinking about dadoing the corners and the
center on the front and rear boards for the sides to slide into to
gain extra strength and stability as opposed to just butting the ends
together with glue and nails.

Another approach:

Cut two (2) identical trapazoidal shaped pieces complete with a slot
in the middle the width of the plywood thickness cut halfway thru.

Slot is cut from top on one piece, from the bottom on the other piece.

Now assemble pieces at the slots to form an intersecting cross, much
like an egg crate.

Fit a square piece of ply on the top and secure with glue blocks and
screws.

They won't stack but are simple to build, strong, and stable.

Lew

Plasterboard Corners Thomarse UK diy 12 July 11th 07 12:26 PM
Question about rigid inside drywall corners and plain tape corners Eigenvector Home Repair 1 December 25th 06 10:18 AM
Bosch miter finder, outside corners vs inside corners Perry Templeton Woodworking 1 January 13th 06 04:44 AM
Sharp corners foggytown Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 07:23 PM
Plasterboard corners Stephen Darlington UK diy 1 August 12th 03 09:20 AM