Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard Corners

Hi,

Im creating a corner for a doorway in my partition wall, and the angle
will not be the normal right angle 90 degrees, but much shallower,
does anyone know where I can buy thin plastic corner beading which
hasnt got a set angle but can be attached at any angle, i have read
about this stuff in books to do with drylining etc but cant seem to
find it in the usual places...

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 09:25:28 +0100, Thomarse said:

Hi,

Im creating a corner for a doorway in my partition wall, and the angle
will not be the normal right angle 90 degrees, but much shallower,
does anyone know where I can buy thin plastic corner beading which
hasnt got a set angle but can be attached at any angle, i have read
about this stuff in books to do with drylining etc but cant seem to
find it in the usual places...

Tom

Does it specifically have to be plastic?

If metal will work, then have a look at the Expamet site. They have a
range of metal plasterwork components that can be cut and bent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 09:25:28 +0100, Thomarse said:

Hi,

Im creating a corner for a doorway in my partition wall, and the angle
will not be the normal right angle 90 degrees, but much shallower,
does anyone know where I can buy thin plastic corner beading which
hasnt got a set angle but can be attached at any angle, i have read
about this stuff in books to do with drylining etc but cant seem to
find it in the usual places...

Tom

Does it specifically have to be plastic?

If metal will work, then have a look at the Expamet site. They have a
range of metal plasterwork components that can be cut and bent.

not specifically, but it has to be as thin as possible, with no
"ridge" on the corner liek you get with normal plaster beading ad I
wont be plastering the plasterboard once done, I will just be
feathering in with jointing compund so the corner strip needs to be
thin enough to be easily covered and hidden by the compound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 09:25:28 +0100, Thomarse said:

Hi,

[...]

In that case, tape may be a more suitable choice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 09:25:28 +0100, Thomarse
said:

Hi,

Im creating a corner for a doorway in my partition wall, and the
angle
will not be the normal right angle 90 degrees, but much shallower,
does anyone know where I can buy thin plastic corner beading which
hasnt got a set angle but can be attached at any angle, i have read
about this stuff in books to do with drylining etc but cant seem to
find it in the usual places...

Tom

Does it specifically have to be plastic?

If metal will work, then have a look at the Expamet site. They have
a range of metal plasterwork components that can be cut and bent.

What about plasterboard tape as a last resort?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 09:25:28 +0100, Thomarse
said:

Hi,

Im creating a corner for a doorway in my partition wall, and the
angle
will not be the normal right angle 90 degrees, but much shallower,
does anyone know where I can buy thin plastic corner beading which
hasnt got a set angle but can be attached at any angle, i have read
about this stuff in books to do with drylining etc but cant seem to
find it in the usual places...

Tom

Does it specifically have to be plastic?

If metal will work, then have a look at the Expamet site. They have
a range of metal plasterwork components that can be cut and bent.

What about plasterboard tape as a last resort?

Yes I agree.

One could use the fibreglass stuff as long as it was being feathered
out to the nearby surfaces, but paper would require fewer coats

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 09:25:28 +0100, Thomarse
said:

Hi,

Im creating a corner for a doorway in my partition wall, and the
angle
will not be the normal right angle 90 degrees, but much shallower,
does anyone know where I can buy thin plastic corner beading which
hasnt got a set angle but can be attached at any angle, i have read
about this stuff in books to do with drylining etc but cant seem to
find it in the usual places...

Tom

Does it specifically have to be plastic?

If metal will work, then have a look at the Expamet site. They have
a range of metal plasterwork components that can be cut and bent.

What about plasterboard tape as a last resort?

Yes I agree.

One could use the fibreglass stuff as long as it was being feathered out
to the nearby surfaces, but paper would require fewer coats

Can it be that difficult to bend the standard bead? If the corner's
going to be straight and resistant to knocks, I don't see there's much
option. IIRC the smaller bead is only about 2mm so doesn't affect the
levels significantly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:11:45 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Can it be that difficult to bend the standard bead?

No it's not it bends rather too easily...

If the corner's going to be straight and resistant to knocks, I don't
see there's much option.

If this is an external corner it'll need something to take the knocks,
IMHO the only thing that do that is metal. The grid goes behind the board
and only the bead is at the surface. Get the right stuff for your
thickness of board and you'll just have gap to fill and bead to board to
feather.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 13:11:45 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

Can it be that difficult to bend the standard bead?

It depends on the material and the angles involved.

If the corner's going to be straight and resistant to knocks, I don't
see there's much option. IIRC the smaller bead is only about 2mm so
doesn't affect the levels significantly.

Then it becomes an issue of blending the edges so that they disappear

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:

not specifically, but it has to be as thin as possible, with no
"ridge" on the corner liek you get with normal plaster beading ad I
wont be plastering the plasterboard once done, I will just be
feathering in with jointing compund so the corner strip needs to be
thin enough to be easily covered and hidden by the compound.

If you must have a bead in this case, use right angle and cut one side
off it, leaving a corner bead and one flat bit. You get an invisible
result you will need to cut away the paper on the board under its edge
though, then fill right over on one side, and up to on the other.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 19:35:56 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-07-10 13:11:45 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

Can it be that difficult to bend the standard bead?

It depends on the material and the angles involved.

If the corner's going to be straight and resistant to knocks, I don't
see there's much option. IIRC the smaller bead is only about 2mm so
doesn't affect the levels significantly.

Then it becomes an issue of blending the edges so that they disappear

Trivial

Well it is, but if you haven't done it before may seem insurmountable
to the point that one will seek alternatives.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 19:35:56 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-07-10 13:11:45 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

Can it be that difficult to bend the standard bead?

It depends on the material and the angles involved.

If the corner's going to be straight and resistant to knocks, I
don't see there's much option. IIRC the smaller bead is only about
2mm so doesn't affect the levels significantly.

Then it becomes an issue of blending the edges so that they disappear

Trivial

Well it is, but if you haven't done it before may seem insurmountable to
the point that one will seek alternatives.

The trouble with a corner is that imperfections stand out like a sore
thumb from any angle, and in any light. Imperfections on the face might
catch your eye now and again

Question about rigid inside drywall corners and plain tape corners Eigenvector Home Repair 1 December 25th 06 10:18 AM
Bosch miter finder, outside corners vs inside corners Perry Templeton Woodworking 1 January 13th 06 04:44 AM
Sharp corners foggytown Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 07:23 PM
Drywall/plasterboard corners Philip Wagstaff UK diy 2 September 30th 03 11:28 AM
Plasterboard corners Stephen Darlington UK diy 1 August 12th 03 09:20 AM