Posted to rec.woodworking

Default dresser carcass construction with dovetails bearer rail

I'm planning on building a mission style dresser with 3 rows of
drawers. Across the bottom there are supports for the drawers that
are fit into the legs. I have seen this drawer runner to leg joint
being done with a dovetail. Does anyone have any helpful hints on
creating the bearer rails in a carcass dovetail without using hand
tools. It seems as if a jig can be used to make the pin in the leg
but given the rail is about 60 inches long I can't determine a machine
method of cutting the tail of the rail / drawer runner. Any help
would be appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 24, 9:45*am, "Charley" wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

wrote:
I'm planning on building a mission style dresser with 3 rows of
drawers. *Across the bottom there are supports for the drawers that
are fit into the legs. *I have seen this drawer runner to leg joint
being done with a dovetail. *Does anyone have any helpful hints on
creating the bearer rails in a carcass dovetail without using hand
tools. *It seems as if a jig can be used to make the pin in the leg
but given the rail is about 60 inches long I can't determine a machine
method of cutting the tail of the rail / drawer runner. *Any help
would be appreciated.

Why no hand tools? *Seems like a handsaw and chisel would be the
simplest way to do this.

Anyways, two suggestions:

1) Mount a jig on the wall high enough for the piece to clear the floor,
stand on a chair/stool/bench while routing.

2) Make a jig to route it with the router held horizontally.

Chris

My Leigh D4R as well as my FMT jig have been clamped at the edge of the
pull-down stairway opening to the upper level of my shop so that I could
work on long pieces. One time I even made use of the railing of a deck to
get the height that I needed. It just takes a little creativity to come up
with a way to solve those unique one-time situations.

Charley- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, so the Leigh can cut this type? I'm guessing for this
application its essentially the pin of a narrow sliding dovetail?