Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scanning the Sunday classifieds

Under building supplies for sale, in the Roanoke Times, I found a
30x70 chestnut log barn, from the 1800s.

Ah, to be young enough. Anyone interested can probably find it under
www.roanoketimes.com. No pprice indicated, but my guess is that if the
logs are in decent shape, it won't be cheap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Under building supplies for sale, in the Roanoke Times, I found a
30x70 chestnut log barn, from the 1800s.

Ah, to be young enough. Anyone interested can probably find it under
www.roanoketimes.com. No pprice indicated, but my guess is that if the
logs are in decent shape, it won't be cheap.

Sounds like that has cool shop potential. My wife and I often take a short
trip out of town to relax. We stay in an 1860's 2 story log cabin that was
an old tobacco drying shelter. The building was disassembled and
transported from somewhere in the eastern US and was relocated in SE Texas.
This thing is very solid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Under building supplies for sale, in the Roanoke Times, I found a
30x70 chestnut log barn, from the 1800s.

Ah, to be young enough. Anyone interested can probably find it under
www.roanoketimes.com. No pprice indicated, but my guess is that if the
logs are in decent shape, it won't be cheap.

Sounds like that has cool shop potential. My wife and I often take a short
trip out of town to relax. We stay in an 1860's 2 story log cabin that was
an old tobacco drying shelter. The building was disassembled and
transported from somewhere in the eastern US and was relocated in SE Texas.
This thing is very solid.

Since the American chestnut tree has been just about wiped out I imagine
you could sell the lumber and build a really cool shop... and a house to
go with it.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 5:41 pm, Nova wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Under building supplies for sale, in the Roanoke Times, I found a
30x70 chestnut log barn, from the 1800s.

Ah, to be young enough. Anyone interested can probably find it under
www.roanoketimes.com. No pprice indicated, but my guess is that if the
logs are in decent shape, it won't be cheap.

Sounds like that has cool shop potential. My wife and I often take a short
trip out of town to relax. We stay in an 1860's 2 story log cabin that was
an old tobacco drying shelter. The building was disassembled and
transported from somewhere in the eastern US and was relocated in SE Texas.
This thing is very solid.

Since the American chestnut tree has been just about wiped out I imagine
you could sell the lumber and build a really cool shop... and a house to
go with it.

Well, yeah, but...tearing that sucker down and constructing another
house is beyond me at this stage of my life (closer to end game than
the state cops thought I'd get when I was a kid, but that was more
than 50 years ago). It was actually in the Miscellaneous section, too,
not building supplies. My poplar sided 25x48 shop will have to
suffice. We just put new windows in the house, a roof three years ago,
and siding is due for replacement this month. And I did NONE of it.
Great feeling.