Posted to rec.woodworking

Default used table saws

Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppes
http://www.worldgiftshoppes.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mrsnippy" wrote in message
Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. any help?

Depends on what you want. Cheap saws are for sale every week in our local
shopping paper. I've seen one good saw listed in the past 5 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

Depending on your definition of "abused" will it determine the spectrum of
saws for sale. I see many saws almost daily passing through Craigslist, that
is, at least in my area. In some cases, or more, people sell their equipment
for reasons such as financial downfall, death in the family, physical
limitations, etc. Therefore, many of these saws, as well as other tools, are
still in fair to great shape. If you learn more about the functions of these
machines and tools, you'll provide a vast amount of knowledge for yourself,
then knowing what to look for within a tool, in which the payoffs will be
much more rewarding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 07:22:47 -0700 (PDT), mrsnippy
wrote:

Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppes
http://www.worldgiftshoppes.com

You need to do a lot of looking. Keep looking in your local newspaper
and estate sales. I looked for 4 years and had no luck, but I saved
up while searching then bought a new one. Get a good one, and you
won't have the frustrations and you won't need to buy again!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 9:22*am, mrsnippy wrote:
Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? *I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. *any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppeshttp://www.worldgiftshoppes.com

You can try estate sales, or ebay....
Where are you I have BT3100 that might get you started

Randy
http://nokeswoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

mrsnippy wrote:

Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppes
http://www.worldgiftshoppes.com

Couple of years ago I bought a Jet Cabinet Table Saw off ebay for $350.00 it
was hardly used. Solid cast iron top with extension and upgraded fence. I
believe this same saw would have sold for 1200.00 to 1500.00 brand new. I
live in Southern California and at the time a few were listed. If you live
in a smaller community you might have to look longer or drive farther to
pick it up. It's not something you want to ship! btw the guy threw in a
bunch of extras too, which probably added up to 350.00.

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:27:36 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

You need to do a lot of looking. Keep looking in your local newspaper
and estate sales. I looked for 4 years and had no luck, but I saved
up while searching then bought a new one.

I did the same when upgrading from a contractor saw to a cabinet saw.

In some areas, good used tools are everywhere. In others, you gotta'
be ready, fast, and somewhat lucky to get a good used tool.

Proving I live in the latter type of area, I used my Jet contractor's
saw for 5 years for "almost free"! I paid $500, new in '97, and sold
it for $525 in 2002. The saw was listed in my local "Bargain Shopper"
for less than one day, literally hours, selling to the first caller. I
got 3 or 4 more calls while the buyer was loading the saw into his
truck.

On another note, I paid $1650 for my General 650 cabinet saw in 2002.
The same saw now goes $2600 - $3000, depending on the dealer. I
could probably sell the 650 quite quickly, for more than I paid for
it.

Most top quality stationary machines and hand tools will at least hold
their value. The tools that don't hold value well seem to be
"homeowner" quality tools and cordless construction tools.

Pardon my simplicity with the above numbers, I do understand
opportunity costs and time value of money, that's why I said "almost"
free. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

mrsnippy wrote:

Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppes
http://www.worldgiftshoppes.com

Thought you made garden benches. How are you doing that without a table
saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

on 4/13/2008 4:42 PM Mark & Juanita said the following:
mrsnippy wrote:

Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppes
http://www.worldgiftshoppes.com

Thought you made garden benches. How are you doing that without a table
saw?

Circular saw? Hand saw?
There's not much ripping in garden benches.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 10:22*am, mrsnippy
wrote:
Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? *I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. *any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppeshttp://www.worldgiftshoppes.com

I, too, looked for a long time. I finally obtained a Powermatic 66
from a public school auction. Many high-schools are doing away with
their vocational education facilities, so industrial equipment comes
up for auction from time to time. In my experience, the schools buy
good quality equipment and maintain it pretty well. One caveat,
however. Almost all of the stuff I've seen is 3-phase (as was the saw
I got). If you don't have 3-phase power, you'll have to re-motor it,
make/buy a phase converter, or put a VFD on it. I went the VFD route,
because I already had it (free cast-off from employer). Good luck,
and be patient.

Regards,
John.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:51:40 -0700, the_tool_man wrote:

I, too, looked for a long time. I finally obtained a Powermatic 66
from a public school auction. Many high-schools are doing away with
their vocational education facilities, so industrial equipment comes
up for auction from time to time. In my experience, the schools buy
good quality equipment and maintain it pretty well.

Should be good pickings around here in a few years - all the schools are
buying Sawstops :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Depends upon where you live, I suppose. In Minneapolis MN there's a
company called Peterson Machine that sells all sorts of used woodworking
equipment (new, too). They have a pretty good reputation for checking
out the used stuff the sell. Try the yellow pages.

Pete Stanaitis

mrsnippy wrote:

Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppes
http://www.worldgiftshoppes.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 4:42*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
mrsnippy wrote:
Is there any where that u can get good used table saws that havent
been abused? *I m new to woodworking and i am just setting up my shop
but cant afford new machines. *any help?
William Swinehart
World Gift Shoppes
http://www.worldgiftshoppes.com

* Thought you made garden benches. *How are you doing that without a table
saw?

i use a hand saw, but tired of doing all the cutting that way.

Table Saws - rich Woodworking 20 September 18th 05 02:01 AM
How do SawStop Table Saws Compare as Saws? woodworker88 Woodworking 8 August 11th 05 04:42 AM
Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw? Tim Nicholson UK diy 6 May 9th 04 11:29 AM
10" table saws SagDEG Woodworking 8 December 29th 03 08:54 AM
Table saws Kelly ODonald Woodworking 2 October 10th 03 01:05 PM