Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default board foot rule

I'm looking for a rule (not a ruler :-) ) that lumberyards frequently use
to calculate the number of bd ft in a board. It's 18" to 2' long, and has a
metal hook at one end. The hook serves a dual purpose of hooking over the
edge of the boards to slide them around (secondary purpose), but it also
serves as a small hammer which leaves a small dimple in the board which is
used as a reference point for the next swing of the rule/hammer. The way I
understand that it's used is you measure the width of the board, find that
marking on the body of the rule and use that point as a pivot to walk/mark
your way to the end of the board, and the number of swings is the number of
bdft.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

Thanks!

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 1:24*pm, "joe" wrote:
I'm looking for a rule (not a ruler *:-) *) that lumberyards frequently use
to calculate the number of bd ft in a board. *It's 18" to 2' long, and has a
metal hook at one end. *The hook serves a dual purpose of hooking over the
edge of the boards to slide them around (secondary purpose), but it also
serves as a small hammer which leaves a small dimple in the board which is
used as a reference point for the next swing of the rule/hammer. *The way I
understand that it's used is you measure the width of the board, find that
marking on the body of the rule and use that point as a pivot to walk/mark
your way to the end of the board, and the number of swings is the number of
bdft.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

Thanks!

Joe

Sure Joe, here's one.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...ge.asp?mi=1448

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
Posted to rec.woodworking

joe wrote:

I'm looking for a rule (not a ruler :-) ) that lumberyards frequently use
to calculate the number of bd ft in a board. It's 18" to 2' long, and has a
metal hook at one end. The hook serves a dual purpose of hooking over the
edge of the boards to slide them around (secondary purpose), but it also
serves as a small hammer which leaves a small dimple in the board which is
used as a reference point for the next swing of the rule/hammer. The way I
understand that it's used is you measure the width of the board, find that
marking on the body of the rule and use that point as a pivot to walk/mark
your way to the end of the board, and the number of swings is the number of
bdft.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

Thanks!

Joe

They're "lumber rules". See:

http://www.conwaycleveland.com/lumber_rules.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

To learn how to properly utilize this instrument, follow the
directions precisely to get an accurate accounting of the actual bf of
a piece of lumber, then as the customer looks away add approximately
33% just to help the companies bottom line.

On Mar 11, 11:24*am, "joe" wrote:
I'm looking for a rule (not a ruler *:-) *) that lumberyards frequently use
to calculate the number of bd ft in a board. *It's 18" to 2' long, and has a
metal hook at one end. *The hook serves a dual purpose of hooking over the
edge of the boards to slide them around (secondary purpose), but it also
serves as a small hammer which leaves a small dimple in the board which is
used as a reference point for the next swing of the rule/hammer. *The way I
understand that it's used is you measure the width of the board, find that
marking on the body of the rule and use that point as a pivot to walk/mark
your way to the end of the board, and the number of swings is the number of
bdft.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

Thanks!

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

I use something like that method when I golf. When on the green, I place my
ball marker directly behind my ball. When replacing the ball, I put it 33%
closer to the hole than where the ball marker is.

Seems slightly more ethical when golfing.

In all seriousness, one of the lumberyards I go to has a guy who applies
the inverse of your rule (is that a drive-by gloat? I forget the rules). I
get the best deals there everytime. AAMOF, if I go and he's not working,
I'll just peruse the piles, then go back home and try again the next day.

jc

On Mar 11, 11:24 am, "joe" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"joe" wrote in message
t...
I'm looking for a rule (not a ruler :-) ) that lumberyards frequently
use to calculate the number of bd ft in a board. [...]

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

I don't have any idea what you are talking about. We used to measure timber
in cubic feet and now we use cubic meters. What is a Board Foot?

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim W wrote:
"joe" wrote in message
t...

I'm looking for a rule (not a ruler :-) ) that lumberyards frequently
use to calculate the number of bd ft in a board. [...]

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

I don't have any idea what you are talking about. We used to measure timber
in cubic feet and now we use cubic meters. What is a Board Foot?

Tim w

12" x 12" x 1" = 1 board foot

Standard measurement for rough lumber for non construction
hardwoods. IOW, when you go down to buy some cherry or maple in
4/4 or 8/4, you are going to buy it by the board foot.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Tim W" wrote in message

"joe" wrote in message
t...
I'm looking for a rule (not a ruler :-) ) that lumberyards frequently
use to calculate the number of bd ft in a board. [...]

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

I don't have any idea what you are talking about. We used to measure
timber in cubic feet and now we use cubic meters. What is a Board Foot?

Tim w

144 cubic inches or 0.002359 cubic meters

Jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, one place that I frequent is pretty open about adding in some
specific percentage to account for the skip planing and straight
edging, etc. I always tell them that is a scam in my opinin and they
should just add it into the bf price. But no, they just add in some
non-existant bf. They alway claim FAS grade too but they won't let me
charge back the knots, cracks and white wood that make 20%+ drop very
common.

I feel it is like advertising a piece of furniture at $500 and then
when someone wants to buy it I tell them I am adding another $20 for
lacquer and wax.

On Mar 11, 11:24 am, "joe" wrote:

I'm looking for a rule (not a ruler :-) ) that lumberyards frequently use
to calculate the number of bd ft in a board. It's 18" to 2' long, and has
metal hook at one end. The hook serves a dual purpose of hooking over the
edge of the boards to slide them around (secondary purpose), but it also
serves as a small hammer which leaves a small dimple in the board which is
used as a reference point for the next swing of the rule/hammer. The way I
understand that it's used is you measure the width of the board, find that
marking on the body of the rule and use that point as a pivot to walk/mark
your way to the end of the board, and the number of swings is the number
of
bdft.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

Thanks!

Joe- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

lumber graders call it a green stick. you could also check
www.baileysonline.com
it's a loggers supply outfit in Ca. and Tn.
they carry them in their catalog called board rule.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

joe wrote:

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what it's called and where to get it?

One of the magazines, maybe Popular "Woodworking" or "Woodworking"
recently had an article on how to make one. Essentially, it was a
hooked ruler with columns for the length of the board. The user reads
the width directly to the length for the board feet.

They're not a precision device, so it looked easy. I think he marked
4-5-6-7-8 foot columns, which were doubled for 8-10-12-14-16 foot
boards. He may also have made versions for different thicknesses of
stock.

If you can't find the article, you could easily make one with basic math
and the photos from the other links. My local dealer uses rulers that
appear to be shop made.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"joe" wrote in message
et...

"Tim W" wrote in message

What is a Board Foot?

144 cubic inches or 0.002359 cubic meters

Alright. A twelfth of a cubic foot. excellent. And you see what a stupid way
of measuring timber a cubic meter is. Order it over the phone and you may
get ten times or a tenth of what you wanted.

Luckily a square meter is quite close to ten square feet so an old bloke
like me can think in cubic feet then easily approximate to cubic meters by
multiplying by ten, er I mean a hundred, no ten thousand if you started with
board feet but only one thousand from cubic feet which is three decimal
places to the left, no right I think, always remmember a four figure number
that's three decimal places except we want four. Anyway you can use a
calculator.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim W wrote:
"joe" wrote in message
et...

"Tim W" wrote in message

What is a Board Foot?

144 cubic inches or 0.002359 cubic meters

Alright. A twelfth of a cubic foot. excellent. And you see what a
stupid way of measuring timber a cubic meter is. Order it over the
phone and you may get ten times or a tenth of what you wanted.

How about two and a half liters? Works as well for dry measure as for
liquid.

Luckily a square meter is quite close to ten square feet so an old
bloke like me can think in cubic feet then easily approximate to
cubic meters by multiplying by ten, er I mean a hundred, no ten
thousand if you started with board feet but only one thousand from
cubic feet which is three decimal places to the left, no right I
think, always remmember a four figure number that's three decimal
places except we want four. Anyway you can use a calculator.

Tim w

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

you ever sit in one place to long and have your leg and foot fall to
sleep? now thatsa one board foot.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Luckily a square meter is quite close to ten square feet so an old bloke
like me can think in cubic feet then easily approximate to cubic meters by
multiplying by ten, er I mean a hundred, no ten thousand if you started
with board feet but only one thousand from cubic feet which is three
decimal places to the left, no right I think, always remmember a four
figure number that's three decimal places except we want four. Anyway you
can use a calculator.

Tim w

You're making my brain hurt. g

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ross Hebeisen wrote:
you ever sit in one place to long and have your leg and foot fall to
sleep? now thatsa one board foot.
ross

Or is it a bored foot?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I'd love to, but my patent is pending.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Blasphemer! g

Obviously no McGyver fan. You can do *anything* with enough caulk,
cardboard and duct tape

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

joe wrote:

Blasphemer! g

Obviously no McGyver fan. You can do *anything* with enough caulk,
cardboard and duct tape

But only if you also have chewing gum and a Swiss Army Knife.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"joe" wrote in news:7hsCj.43623$G23.23841
@newsreading01.news.tds.net:

Blasphemer! g

Obviously no McGyver fan. You can do *anything* with enough caulk,
cardboard and duct tape

jc

Nope, you need some metals in there somewhere. Without them, there's a
whole world unavailable to you.

(Obligitory wood content.) You could probably make boards out of caulk,
and work them just like you'd work wood. Depends on the caulk...

Puckdropper

rule [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 10th 08 01:01 PM
30-Year-Old Planed Oak - $2 Per Board Foot (Dallas Area) Martin Woodworking 5 February 11th 07 10:40 PM
Max distance between electrical outlets, is the 6 foot rule stillvalid? andy everett Home Repair 7 January 20th 07 11:57 AM
The Three Day Rule Steve B Metalworking 18 December 31st 05 07:45 PM
Cost of Wood and Charges per Board Foot Greg G. Woodworking 66 December 6th 05 12:15 PM