Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Max distance between electrical outlets, is the 6 foot rule stillvalid?

Given that the electrical code varies by locality is the 6 foot rule
still the latest national electrical code?

Thank you for your time.

From google groups:

From: Anthony Straight
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: min/max distance between outlets?
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 12:35:12 -0700

Rob wrote:

Is there a minimum or maximum distance that must be be between power
outlets that are on the same wall, or a min/max distance a power
outlet must be from a doorway? I tried looking this info up, but
couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Rob

NEC section 210.52(A)(1) (2002 edition) gives the minimum requirements
for outlets in the living areas of a home: "Receptacles shall be
installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in
any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet."
paragraph (2) defines a wall as any unbroken space 2 ft or more in
width, including space measured around corners, and free-standing
counters and bars, but excluding sliding panels. This is the minimum
requirement. I have never heard a complaint about having too many outlets.

There is no minimum spacing. There is also no minimum distance from a
doorway. Use good judgment to avoid a tripping hazard or damage to cords
and equipment.

--
Best regards,
Anthony Straight
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article VP7sh.461$Kf.311@trndny07, andy everett wrote:
Given that the electrical code varies by locality is the 6 foot rule
still the latest national electrical code?

Yes. In the USA, at least. And I believe that the CEC (Canada) has the same
rule.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, but if you doing stuff in the Kitchen of course it's different.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Better to add some extras and outlets by doors for sweepers is a PLUS.
remember the code is miniumum for safety, convenience requires more

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:09:57 GMT, andy everett
wrote:

Given that the electrical code varies by locality is the 6 foot rule
still the latest national electrical code?

imho:

Actually it's 6 feet between any point on a wall and an outlet. So
the max between outlets can be 12 feet. Since you can't go any
further than 6 feet before hitting an outlet.

Just a quick reply, always follow the electrical codes.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Thank you for your time.

From google groups:

Posted to alt.home.repair

et...
wrote:
| Given that the electrical code varies by locality is the 6 foot rule
| still the latest national electrical code?
|
| Yes. In the USA, at least. And I believe that the CEC (Canada) has the
same
| rule.

who cares about canada with the largest islamic cult

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Yes, but if you doing stuff in the Kitchen of course it's different.

yes, its every 4ft of countertop space
including islands

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

| Better to add some extras and outlets by doors for sweepers is a PLUS.
| remember the code is miniumum for safety, convenience requires more

outlets near corners work better than the middle of the wall.