Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dewalt 735 thickness planer

It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17%
off until 3/31/08.
DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 9:01*pm, Jerome wrote:
It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17%
off until 3/31/08.
DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.

Infinity cutting tools has better knives for the dw735.

"Specialty Planer & Jointer Knives

These premium quality HSS Planer knives are forged from a special
grade of German tool steel. This material is extremely resistant to
abrasion and wear while their deep hardening properties make them
particularly suitable for tools requiring repeated sharpening.

Currently we offer specialty knives for the DeWalt 735 planer. These
knives have two ground edges so you can change sides once one becomes
dull. Our knives should hold their edge longer under normal conditions
and they can be sharpened with a diamond hone. "

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 8:01 pm, Jerome wrote:
It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17%
off until 3/31/08.
DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.

Lowe's is a long drive for me but that does sound interesting when
combined with the hundred dollar card I got for Christmas.

But all I can find is a drop to 455 at Delavan WI. Doesn't say
anything about 17% off. Is that a store thing, or something off on all
DeWalt stuff, or something like that?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Mar 9, 8:01 pm, Jerome wrote:
It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17%
off until 3/31/08.
DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.

Lowe's is a long drive for me but that does sound interesting when
combined with the hundred dollar card I got for Christmas.

But all I can find is a drop to 455 at Delavan WI. Doesn't say
anything about 17% off. Is that a store thing, or something off on all
DeWalt stuff, or something like that?

Here the price is $455 after applying the 17% off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

But all I can find is a drop to 455 at Delavan WI. Doesn't say
anything about 17% off. Is that a store thing, or something off on all
DeWalt stuff, or something like that?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...735&lpage=none

$410.85
Boone, NC Reflects Lower Local Price.

Give them a call. If you are really serious about the dw735 then
maybe they will match another Lowe's price.

Looks like Home Depot also has 17% off certain Dewalt tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 9:01*pm, Jerome wrote:
It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17%
off until 3/31/08.
DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.

the 17% off is an in store rebate from home deopt, not sure lowes has
it. Ours doesnt.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 9:01 pm, Jerome wrote:
It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17%
off until 3/31/08.
DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.

I paid $650.00 (including the stand) and it was worth every penny.
DeWalt's claims of snipe reduction are fairly accurate. I've planed
chair rails flush to one another after cutting mortise and tenons
without wrecking the piece.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the tip. I've been in the market for a jointer and planer
this month. I stopped at 3 different Lowes on the way home but they
were all sold out. The price is still marked at $549 but there's a
card there stating that it's 17% off, taken at the register. It comes
to $455.67 before tax.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jerome" wrote in message
It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17%
off until 3/31/08.
DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.

How long do those thin disposable knives last? My neighbor has one and he
has problem with it as the knives don't stay sharp for long. I have the old
one with the thick knives that could be sharpen many times. Hit a knot
couple of months ago and torn off the gears and related parts - good thing
is parts are available and reasonably priced, even for the old version. Why
did DeWalt switched disposable knives?

Posted to rec.woodworking

How long do those thin disposable knives last? My neighbor has one and he
has problem with it as the knives don't stay sharp for long. I have the old
one with the thick knives that could be sharpen many times. Hit a knot
couple of months ago and torn off the gears and related parts - good thing
is parts are available and reasonably priced, even for the old version. Why
did DeWalt switched disposable knives?

"My first few board feet were pine, so, no problem, but my passes on
pecan had the machine smoking and stalling. I was only taking off
paper-thin amounts but the wood came out burned every time. It took me
hours to plane 35 board feet of 1 1/4 inch rough pecan to 3/4, using
both sides of the knives, and I almost gave up the project all
together. In frustration I did an internet search on Dewalt planer
replacement knives and found ONE company that made their own high
speed steel knives specifically for the Dewalt planer. Theirs are only
a few dollars more and are resharpenable. I have planed another 30
feet of pecan in 1/10 the time and am still on the same knife edge. No
smoke or burn marks and I can take off a lot more wood on each pass.
Dewalt must deliberately make flimsy, disposable knives to guarantee a
revenue stream and I don't understand why more companies don't make
alternatives. The company I purchased the blades from is Infinity
Tools, and the knives are under "Specialty Planer and Jointer Knives."
I ordered another set almost immediately and I'm still on the first
knife side of the first set! If I had not found an alternative source
for knives I would not be able to recommend this planer. I have a
spare set of Dewalt knives that will never see the outside of the
package."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:54:39 -0700, " Frank"
wrote:

"Jerome" wrote in message
It seems that Lowe's has lowered their price to $498. And there is 17%
off until 3/31/08.
DW735 for around $400 does not seem to bad a price to pay.

How long do those thin disposable knives last? My neighbor has one and he
has problem with it as the knives don't stay sharp for long. I have the old
one with the thick knives that could be sharpen many times. Hit a knot
couple of months ago and torn off the gears and related parts - good thing
is parts are available and reasonably priced, even for the old version. Why
did DeWalt switched disposable knives?

I found that most of the new knives out of the package for the 735 had
small nicks. I'm on my 5th set of knives and have run 100's of BF of
red cedar thru the unit.

Before I install the new blades I hone them on a piece of MDF charged
with rubbing compound and chalk, this seems to make them last longer
and keeps the nicks that are already on the blade from causing too
many problems.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 6:30 am, Jerome wrote:
"My first few board feet were pine, so, no problem, but my passes on
pecan had the machine smoking and stalling. I was only taking off
paper-thin amounts but the wood came out burned every time. It took me
hours to plane 35 board feet of 1 1/4 inch rough pecan to 3/4, using
both sides of the knives, and I almost gave up the project all
together. In frustration I did an internet search on Dewalt planer
replacement knives and found ONE company that made their own high
speed steel knives specifically for the Dewalt planer. Theirs are only
a few dollars more and are resharpenable.

That pretty much killed it for me. I've got the 733. It's loud, it
only has two knives, and the shroud is a little bit of a pain but it
cuts good and there's hardly any snipe since I've been using a shelf
board as an extended infeed/outfeed table.

I just had it repaired and I was thinking of combining my lowe's gift
card and this sale to buy it and then sell the 733, but now I think
I'll keep the 733 a few more years.

If I have to get a couple sets of after-market knives, it doesn't look
like that great a deal any more. Especially when this one still works
fine. I'll hunt around for something else to blow that gift card on.

I like this group. :-)