Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] else24@gmail.com is offline

Default Dewalt 735 thickness planer

On Mar 11, 6:30 am, Jerome wrote:
"My first few board feet were pine, so, no problem, but my passes on
pecan had the machine smoking and stalling. I was only taking off
paper-thin amounts but the wood came out burned every time. It took me
hours to plane 35 board feet of 1 1/4 inch rough pecan to 3/4, using
both sides of the knives, and I almost gave up the project all
together. In frustration I did an internet search on Dewalt planer
replacement knives and found ONE company that made their own high
speed steel knives specifically for the Dewalt planer. Theirs are only
a few dollars more and are resharpenable.

That pretty much killed it for me. I've got the 733. It's loud, it
only has two knives, and the shroud is a little bit of a pain but it
cuts good and there's hardly any snipe since I've been using a shelf
board as an extended infeed/outfeed table.

I just had it repaired and I was thinking of combining my lowe's gift
card and this sale to buy it and then sell the 733, but now I think
I'll keep the 733 a few more years.

If I have to get a couple sets of after-market knives, it doesn't look
like that great a deal any more. Especially when this one still works
fine. I'll hunt around for something else to blow that gift card on.

I like this group. :-)