Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable Dovetail Jig

Anybody out there familiar with the Porter Cable model 4210 dovetail jig?
Just started using this jig for the first time, and even though I'm
following the instructions step by step, and using supplied dovetail bit,
the pins are always larger then the tail, and will not fit together.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Anybody out there familiar with the Porter Cable model 4210 dovetail jig?
Just started using this jig for the first time, and even though I'm
following the instructions step by step, and using supplied dovetail bit,
the pins are always larger then the tail, and will not fit together.

thanks

Seems to be a problem with the jig. This was discussed at some length
several weeks ago. IIRC the problem was that the bits supplied with the jig
were incorrectly made or were the wrong size to begin with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 05:19:09 GMT, "Jim Lewis"
wrote:

Anybody out there familiar with the Porter Cable model 4210 dovetail jig?
Just started using this jig for the first time, and even though I'm
following the instructions step by step, and using supplied dovetail bit,
the pins are always larger then the tail, and will not fit together.

Can we assume that you are using the bit at the correct depth? I
don't have the porter cable, but am using a simular one. When my
joints were too tight or loose, it took a while to figure I needed to
set the bit height correctly. Try raising the bit higher a wee
fraction at a time.

The instructions on any dovetail jig seem to be a bit shy of some
basic instructions on bit settings.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Pete,

I set the bit at 3/8, which is what the manual calls for, and I have raised
the height, lowered it, and tried moving the template in, and out a little.
Probally need to follow your advice, and keep tweaking.

Jim
wrote:

Anybody out there familiar with the Porter Cable model 4210 dovetail jig?
Just started using this jig for the first time, and even though I'm
following the instructions step by step, and using supplied dovetail bit,
the pins are always larger then the tail, and will not fit together.

Can we assume that you are using the bit at the correct depth? I
don't have the porter cable, but am using a simular one. When my
joints were too tight or loose, it took a while to figure I needed to
set the bit height correctly. Try raising the bit higher a wee
fraction at a time.

The instructions on any dovetail jig seem to be a bit shy of some
basic instructions on bit settings.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 16:04:13 GMT, "Jim Lewis"
wrote:

Thanks Pete,

I set the bit at 3/8, which is what the manual calls for, and I have raised
the height, lowered it, and tried moving the template in, and out a little.
Probally need to follow your advice, and keep tweaking.

No one ever mentions the setup time.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

Go to a store and buy Freud bits. Your problem will
go away. I just went through this whole mess.

The Porter Cable(chinese) bit is made incorrectly
and will not produce correct joints.