Posted to rec.woodworking
superpac

Default porter cable dovetail jig

I bought the pc dovetail jig 4212 and really love it. for the first time I
am able to make dovetails for drawers etc, and they do look sweet. My
question is, does anyone know where I can get replacement bits. I would
like an extra set, so I can send one for sharpening, and still be able to
continue with my projects. Plus just like everything, the original bit will
wear out and need to be replaced. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL

What kind of bit did it come with? I have the older 4112 and it came with a
junk 1/4" HSS dovetail bit. I burnt it out after a few days of use and
replaced it with a 1/2" carbide bit which I'm still using to this day. All
the name brand bit makers (Freud, CMT, etc.) have them as well as the
imports (Woodline, Grizzly, etc.). Your favorite woodworking store will
have it.

"superpac" wrote in message
I bought the pc dovetail jig 4212 and really love it. for the first time I
am able to make dovetails for drawers etc, and they do look sweet. My
question is, does anyone know where I can get replacement bits. I would
like an extra set, so I can send one for sharpening, and still be able to
continue with my projects. Plus just like everything, the original bit
will wear out and need to be replaced. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
superpac

it came with a carbide bit, good bit but even the porter cable site parts
section doesn't have them. it is a 7 degree 17/32" dovetail 1/2" shank bit
the product code is 43776 PC

"superpac" wrote in message
I bought the pc dovetail jig 4212 and really love it. for the first time
I am able to make dovetails for drawers etc, and they do look sweet. My
question is, does anyone know where I can get replacement bits. I would
like an extra set, so I can send one for sharpening, and still be able to
continue with my projects. Plus just like everything, the original bit
will wear out and need to be replaced. Any help would be most
appreciated. Thanks.

steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"superpac" wrote in message
I bought the pc dovetail jig 4212 and really love it. for the first time

am able to make dovetails for drawers etc, and they do look sweet. My
question is, does anyone know where I can get replacement bits. I would
like an extra set, so I can send one for sharpening, and still be able to
continue with my projects. Plus just like everything, the original bit

will
wear out and need to be replaced. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

steve

Yeah, what Al said. There's nothing magical about the dovetail bit it comes
with. Just buy another one when needed. As someone mentioned when I was
first getting familiar with the 4212 that I recently bought, each dovetail
bit has a magical depth setting that cuts the pins and tails such that they
generate a snug fit. If you've gone through that process with the current
bit, it's likely the depth setting will be different for the next one.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
superpac

forgive my amateurishism, but dovetails are still new and mysterious. can i
use a different size/degree bit in the same jig? Is the jig teeth geared
for a particular size bit, or am I just having trouble "picturing" that I
can use any bit

steve

"todd" wrote in message
"superpac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

Hi Steve,
Not every bit will "fit" each jig. See below as an example. I have a Leigh jig
and for HB dovetails, the width of the bit and the angle will determine the
length of sides of the dovetail hence the thickness of wood a bit can handle.
Cheers, JG

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...83098_20052+70

"todd" wrote in message
"superpac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
superpac

okay, another question. for through dovetails, I need to use both a
dovetail bit (17/32"), and a straight bit (13/32"). If I do use a different
size dovetail for example 3/4" 7 degree. what size straight bit would I
need? based on the originals, I would assume that I need one that is approx
1/8" smaller in diameter. does this continue to hold true if I use a bit
with a different degree ie 7.5 or 8 degrees.

jg, thanks for the website also. at least I can order the original bit if I
want to. but I may try other sizes as well.

steve

"todd" wrote in message
"superpac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

hi Steve,
I don't know. Maybe it's too early in the morning. The following may help.
Cheers, JG

http://www.leighjigs.com/cutters-d4.php

"todd" wrote in message
"superpac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sheckster

I have the same 4112 jig and bit and wonder what you mean by "burned it
out"? Mine has discolored and looks rusted after a weekend of heavy
practice and use.

Is it junk now?

Thx

"superpac" wrote in message
I bought the pc dovetail jig 4212 and really love it. for the first time
I am able to make dovetails for drawers etc, and they do look sweet. My
question is, does anyone know where I can get replacement bits. I would
like an extra set, so I can send one for sharpening, and still be able to
continue with my projects. Plus just like everything, the original bit
will wear out and need to be replaced. Any help would be most
appreciated. Thanks.

steve

Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE David Rhoades Woodworking 7 June 7th 21 08:17 PM
Porter Cable 7518 Router- Brand New - Just Died Scott Willett Woodworking 9 February 27th 05 05:04 PM
Porter Cable Mike Reed Woodworking 3 January 25th 05 07:03 PM
Need Cable TV expert - I have questions exray Electronics Repair 4 March 28th 04 02:29 PM
Porter Cable Router Gloat at the BORG! A.I. Woodworking 14 September 15th 03 10:21 PM