Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lathe Gouge Sharpening

It seems that Norm's gouges are essentially flat across the end as
opposed to rounded which seems to be the way new gouges are supplied.
I'm curious as to which shape is best for what type of turning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 11:43*am, wrote:
It seems that Norm's gouges are essentially flat across the end as
opposed to rounded which seems to be the way new gouges are supplied.
I'm curious as to which shape is best for what type of turning.

The flat type are used more for roughing out. The rounded better know
ar a finger nail gound are better for spindle work.
And the flat end skew is used for final shaping.
Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
It seems that Norm's gouges are essentially flat across the end as
opposed to rounded which seems to be the way new gouges are supplied.
I'm curious as to which shape is best for what type of turning.

Square peel better, pointed poke better. Depends on what you're doing. If
you're going across the grain at a steep angle, poke; at a shallow angle,
peel. Norm's doing spindles, so he should be peeling, though for reasons
known only to himself, he stuffs the nose into the piece rather than doing
it as others do.

This guy is somewhere in between on the gouge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuGMZ3SBlYs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQTo1pAIpQ4

He could also be peeling like he does here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQTo1pAIpQ4

Lathe tool sharpening kup Woodworking 2 January 29th 08 12:19 AM
Mystery gouge Henry St.Pierre[_2_] Woodturning 7 August 15th 07 10:33 PM
Gouge/Chisel Storage for lathe Ecnerwal Woodturning 3 June 19th 07 03:22 PM
My Next Gouge George Woodturning 2 April 29th 05 06:58 PM
Need jig for sharpening lathe tools [email protected] Metalworking 14 March 25th 05 04:59 PM