Default Need jig for sharpening lathe tools

Does anyone know of a source for a jig to use when sharpening lathe
cutting tools. It would need to handle the compound angles found on
most cutting tools. Sometimes grinding machines come with a tilting
table with a miter gauge attached. That is what I need, but I don't
want to buy a grinding machine just to get the jig.
Thanks in advance,

Jim R.

Robert Swinney

See previous discussion re. Glendo. You can buy only the tilting table and
cross slide protractor guide to use with your own bench grinder.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know of a source for a jig to use when sharpening lathe
cutting tools. It would need to handle the compound angles found on
most cutting tools. Sometimes grinding machines come with a tilting
table with a miter gauge attached. That is what I need, but I don't
want to buy a grinding machine just to get the jig.
Thanks in advance,

Jim R.

Charles A. Sherwood

Does anyone know of a source for a jig to use when sharpening lathe
cutting tools.

Delta makes a "uni-vise" that can be used to hold things a surface
grinder. Works well but grinding toolbits on a surface grinder is SLOW.

chuck

Boris Beizer

wrote in message
ups.com...

A low cost solution that has worked well for me is to buy the Veritas tool
grinder setup. The tool rest is $39.95 and the grinding jig is 19.95 .. you
can buy the entire setup for $52.00 .. I made an additional jig for holding
lathe bits. One nice thing about this jig is that there is a couple of
hundreth's play in the slide. You set the tool with the jig on the back of
the slide and then with gentle forward pressure you grind deeper without
burning the bit. A fancy compound table would be nice, but this is an
adequate compromise quite suitable for home workshop use.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com

Daniel A. Mitchell

Robert Swinney wrote:

See previous discussion re. Glendo. You can buy only the tilting table and
cross slide protractor guide to use with your own bench grinder.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
ups.com...

Does anyone know of a source for a jig to use when sharpening lathe
cutting tools. It would need to handle the compound angles found on
most cutting tools. Sometimes grinding machines come with a tilting
table with a miter gauge attached. That is what I need, but I don't
want to buy a grinding machine just to get the jig.
Thanks in advance,

Jim R.

I second the motion on the Glendo table. It's intended for a 7" or 8"
grinder, but I adapted mine to a 6" grinder by putting a riser block
under the grinder. It works very well.

Dan Mitchell
============
Grant Erwin

Robert Swinney wrote:

Ooopps! Sorry Grant. I didn't see your post. Whyn't you try to sell him
you Darex M3 - if you have the tables with it?.

Bob Swinney

I sold my Baldor/Glendo/Darex unit locally, Robert. I don't think I priced
it correctly because the demand was very strong. I'm afraid I disappointed
a lot of guys.

GWE

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:38:22 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:

Ooopps! Sorry Grant. I didn't see your post. Whyn't you try to sell him
you Darex M3 - if you have the tables with it?.

Bob Swinney

I sold my Baldor/Glendo/Darex unit locally, Robert. I don't think I priced
it correctly because the demand was very strong. I'm afraid I disappointed
a lot of guys.

I snoozed, I losed g.

Snarl

Phil Kangas

"jim rozen" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a source for a jig to use when

sharpening lathe
cutting tools.

I'm honestly suprised that Harold had not weighed in on

this
thread. Most lathe tools can be ground offhand pretty

easily - are
you making some specialized tooling that is particularly

tricky?

Jim

Harold probably gave up trying to get his point across and I
don't blame hime.
After reading his posts I went out to my shop and removed
the little table on
my Baldor 612 leaving only the arm that the table was bolted
to. That arm is
a handy knuckle rest and now I totally agree with Harold.
I've added another
trick and that is to use a small vise grip pliers to hold
the bit if it is not already
mounted in a quick change holder. Harolds method gives
_much_ better feel
when grinding. I threw that useless little table in the
trash can.
Phil Kangas

I can't find information about Veritas. A Google search didn't turn
up any company by that name connected with tooling. Could you please
give me a url?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Boris Beizer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I can't find information about Veritas. A Google search didn't turn
up any company by that name connected with tooling. Could you please
give me a url?

Thanks,

www.leevalley.com

Veritas is a line owned by Lee Valley. Sorry about that.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting
1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com

DE

Jim wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for a jig to use when sharpening lathe
cutting tools.

I'm honestly suprised that Harold had not weighed in on this
thread. Most lathe tools can be ground offhand pretty easily - are
you making some specialized tooling that is particularly tricky?

Jim

I recall back when I went to machinist school we were
given wood tool blanks to practice with. I know it sounds
corny but if hand grinding tools is a problem play around
with some wood blanks make em 1/2" pine. The instructor
also gave some good lectures on cutting geometry at that time.
Great program it's all cnc now.\

DE