Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any Idea how this was made?

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 02:31:20 GMT, Jerome Ranch
wrote:

Little gimmicky thing a friend got from his father.
The fellow who presumably made it has passed away, and he took the
method he used to make it with him, presumably.

http://www.jerrysbigworld.com/GolfAr..._0733small.jpg

The golf ball has a very smooth hole driled through it, and it moves
freely on the wood shaft. Both ends of the shaft are too thick for
the ball to pass over them.

We looked under a 30X dissecting microscope at work..no joints

Hit it with various wavelengths of UV thinking if any glue was used
and the join was well disguised, we might detect flourescence from the
glue ..nothing.

Did the fellow drill the hole, and have the tree grow through it?

Was the ball split? We can't detect any evidence of this on the ball
either.

Let me know what ya' think

Thanks

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

You already have the answer, but arguably, the real question
is not "How?" but "Why?"g

All the best,
--
Kenneth

We looked under a 30X dissecting microscope at work..no
joints

Hit it with various wavelengths of UV thinking if any glue
was used and the join was well disguised, we might detect
flourescence from the glue ..nothing.

Did the fellow drill the hole, and have the tree grow
through it?

Was the ball split? We can't detect any evidence of this on
the ball either.

Let me know what ya' think

Thanks

Jerry

Try looking here...
http://members.cox.net/lvplans/arrowheartpuz.html

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ah yes
Thanks Larry

Try looking here...
http://members.cox.net/lvplans/arrowheartpuz.html

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Since I'm not a golfer (and don't CARE to be a golfer) ... probably a
gag gift for a golfer?

A bunch of us as work today spent a significant amount of time today
trying to figure this out (scientist youy know), so some fellow is
having a big laugh today from the big woodshop in the sky !

Jerry

You already have the answer, but arguably, the real question
is not "How?" but "Why?"g

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jerome Ranch" wrote in message
Since I'm not a golfer (and don't CARE to be a golfer) ... probably a
gag gift for a golfer?

A bunch of us as work today spent a significant amount of time today
trying to figure this out (scientist youy know), so some fellow is
having a big laugh today from the big woodshop in the sky !

Jerry

Easily done. You drill the hole and then put he golf ball over a branch of
a tree. In about 6 to 10 years (depends on species and weather) you just
cut the branch and trim away the excess wood. Sand smooth, of course.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

Easily done. You drill the hole and then put he golf ball over a branch
of a tree. In about 6 to 10 years (depends on species and weather) you
just cut the branch and trim away the excess wood. Sand smooth, of
course.

.... and paint to match.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Larry had a way to make it that will work for an "arrow" that is just a
little bigger than the hole...for a larger arrowhead, I'd make the arrow
with the shaft being not quite twice the length of the diameter of the ball,
carefully cut the shaft in the center, then glue a small diameter dowel into
one end of the shaft, then put the two together, being VERY careful to align
the flats of the arrow.

By making the shaft less than the size of the ball, a person wouldn't be
able to see the glue joint without heroic measures.

But that's just one idea for it...

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.jerrysbigworld.com/GolfAr..._0733small.jpg

The golf ball has a very smooth hole driled through it, and it moves
freely on the wood shaft. Both ends of the shaft are too thick for
the ball to pass over them.

There are several ways to make these.

The "real" way is to push the pointy end through the golf ball. The
pointy end is flat, the ball is squishy. You squeeze the ball in a
clamp, the hole goes oval and it slips over neatly.

Alternatively, squeeze the timber. Use something like lime (linden /
basswood) and steam it first, then squish it in a vice. Supposedly this
works with any of the timbers that steam bend well. I've done this with
lime a fair few times (making carved Welsh love spoons - a heart with an
arrow through it is a traditional pattern), but never had success with
other timbers.

The quick way is to use a short glued scarf joint, or a Japanese
birdsmouth. Because the ball is wide and the distance it can slide is
short, you can never move the ball far enough to see where the join is.