Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Vista question

Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where outlook
express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the newsgroups
there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?

Thanks

SD

Posted to rec.woodworking

SHOPDOG wrote:
Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where outlook
express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the newsgroups
there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?

Thanks

SD

I got a low end Compaq laptop that came with Vista Basic. It had 512MB
of memory wich is fine after I put XP on it, but wasa about 1.5GB short
for Vista. I ended up putting Ubuntu 7.10 on it with vmware for running
Windows XP. I also upgraded the memory from .5GB to 2GB from
Crucial.com for about $79.

As for a news client, Thunderbird works fine under Linux and Windows (XP
or Vista).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Have you entered a newsgroup feed? My isp tells me what the name of
teir newsgroup servers are. Once I have that I can search for groups.
I happen to use Agent but the concept is the same. Windows Mail.

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 02:55:54 GMT, "SHOPDOG"
wrote:

Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where outlook
express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the newsgroups
there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?

Thanks

SD

Posted to rec.woodworking

SHOPDOG wrote:
Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where
outlook express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the
newsgroups there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the
group?

Tools/Accounts/Add/Newsgroup Account, then provide the appropriate
information.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Don't take this a gospel, but ---

I believe Vista uses Windows Live for mail but not for anything else.

If you want news you must use Outlook Express (or TB) for that function.

I have not checked to see if the MSN interface between OE and the web-based mail function in Vista is still viable.

You will probably have to DL a copy of OE or TB from the net to get the news goodies.

P D Q

"SHOPDOG" wrote in message news:_2Jzj.11081$1_.645@trnddc02...
Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where outlook
express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the newsgroups
there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?

Thanks

SD

Posted to rec.woodworking

ok, thanks for the replys.... I found how to acess it through the web
(google groups) DUH!

It just not in my mail program anymore

Well at least I can still get it on the road

Thansk
SD

Posted to rec.woodworking

PDQ wrote:
Don't take this a gospel, but ---

I believe Vista uses Windows Live for mail but not for anything
else.

If you want news you must use Outlook Express (or TB) for that
function.

I have not checked to see if the MSN interface between OE and the
web-based mail function in Vista is still viable.

You will probably have to DL a copy of OE or TB from the net to get
the news goodies.

Vista comes with "Windows Mail", which is for just about all practical
purposes "Outlook Express" with a different label. If you check my
headers you'll find "X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail
6.0.6000.16480" which I'm using from Vista. Even works with
OE-Quotefix.

Windows Live is a service, not a client.

Personally I'm using Outlook (not Express) for a mail client but
that's because I run an Exchange server to get centralized filtering.

P D Q

"SHOPDOG" wrote in message
Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where
outlook express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find
the
newsgroups there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the
group?

Thanks

SD

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"SHOPDOG" wrote in

Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where
outlook express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the
newsgroups there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the
group?

Thanks

SD

My Xnews works just fine under Vista home basic. Free, does yenc, etc.
does both binaries and text.
Maybe there is a bit of a learning curve, but I tried several other readers
(not all by far), and Xnews is it for me.

also see news:news.software.readers
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 6:10 am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
"SHOPDOG" writes:
ok, thanks for the replys.... I found how to acess it through the web
(google groups) DUH!

Bad idea. Some people ignore postings from google gropus because of the spam.

And you can't have kill files. And it's hard to just read new articles
(since last time you read them). And it's slower as a GUI.

If you use Firefox, there is an add-in called Greasemonkey that uses a
script file called "Google Groups Killfile" which allows for basic
killfile functionality. It basically takes the fully rendered page and
hides the stuff that matches the entries in the killfine script. It's
not perfect, but it works well enough for me.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SHOPDOG" wrote in message
Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where outlook
express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the newsgroups
there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?

You can add newsgroup accounts to "Windows Mail" from the top menu bar by
simply clicking on TOOL|ACCOUNTS|ADD| and choosing "Newsgroup Account", then
entering your server and login information.

With Vista, you might want to go with "Windows Live Mail", which is more
like (almost) Outlook Express than "Windows' Mail", although both appear to
be designed by the dumb**** generation that thinks whiz/bang/flash is more
important than basic functionality.

FWIW, I'm not a Vista basher, have been running it on my laptop for about a
year, and thoroughly enjoy the OS, its security benefits, and its basic
Internet functionality...

... however, that does not in any way excuse the fact that MSFT, which
always based its hiring practices on "youth", did not take into account the
increasing lack of maturity of the subsequent programmer generation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 07:35:40 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"SHOPDOG" wrote in message
[...]

I visit the Microsoft campus every year for the past 3 or 4 years. I
always find it somewhat interesting that most of the staff is young
enough to be my children. And I am not all that old. Indeed that youth
does affect things as simple as using a 6 point font for licenses
(need to get reading glasses or magnifying glass) to things like not
understanding how the real world works. They do have some people there
of my generation (tail end of boomers) some are great, some are just
MS youth that grew old.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote

I visit the Microsoft campus every year for the past 3 or 4 years.

First, and only, visit to MSFT was in 1994, which was notable, in
retrospect, for the response to _every_ query being the apparent buzz word
of their cultu

"Absolutely!"

AAMOF, at one point we counted the number of "Absolutely's" uttered by all
the Microsofties involved in a presentation ... it was worse than
involuntarily focusing in on the "you know's" of modern speech.

(tail end of boomers) some are great, some are just
MS youth that grew old.

Priceless!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

AAMOF, at one point we counted the number of "Absolutely's" uttered by all
the Microsofties involved in a presentation ... it was worse than
involuntarily focusing in on the "you know's" of modern speech.

Reminds me of John Denver on the tonight show. His favorite phrase was,
"far out!" They would count how many times he uttered that phrase during the
times he hosted the show. I don't remember the number, but it was far beyond
what any normal human being needed to use during any kind of rational,
intelligent conversation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

"Swingman" wrote

AAMOF, at one point we counted the number of "Absolutely's" uttered by

all
the Microsofties involved in a presentation ... it was worse than
involuntarily focusing in on the "you know's" of modern speech.

Reminds me of John Denver on the tonight show. His favorite phrase was,
"far out!" They would count how many times he uttered that phrase during

the
times he hosted the show. I don't remember the number, but it was far

beyond
what any normal human being needed to use during any kind of rational,
intelligent conversation.

I have a dear musician friend who delivered the eulogy for her deceased
musician brother, also a dear friend.

Another studio owner/musician friend and I teamed up to record the entire
service because of the three hundred musicians who showed up to perform a
song my wife wrote called "Let Him Go Gently" (She later recorded the song
for an album with Ray Wiley Hubbard, and they latter sang it at Townes Van
Zandt's funeral at the request of the family).

Point is, I was to do the editing for a master tape of the service. I
deleted over 200 "you knows" from a 20 minute eulogy, BEFORE the advent of
digital editing, using a razor blade and splicing block!

I don't think the poor girl is even aware of that fact to this day.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
PDQ wrote:
Don't take this a gospel, but ---

SNIP

Vista comes with "Windows Mail", which is for just about all practical
purposes "Outlook Express" with a different label. If you check my
headers you'll find "X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail
6.0.6000.16480" which I'm using from Vista. Even works with
OE-Quotefix.

Windows Live is a service, not a client.

Personally I'm using Outlook (not Express) for a mail client but
that's because I run an Exchange server to get centralized filtering.

Thanks for the correction. From all the bashing I have seen re Vista, I have refrained from joining the new generation (95/98 is not dead yet).

Most of what I have seen seemed to tell me that OE was dying too and I am not a real lover of "Hotmail".

It is nice to know that MSN has seen fit to keep OE viable even if under another name.

Thanks for the update

P D Q

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

AAMOF, at one point we counted the number of "Absolutely's" uttered
by all the Microsofties involved in a presentation ... it was worse
than involuntarily focusing in on the "you know's" of modern
speech.

Reminds me of John Denver on the tonight show. His favorite phrase
was, "far out!" They would count how many times he uttered that
phrase during the times he hosted the show. I don't remember the
number, but it was far beyond what any normal human being needed to
use during any kind of rational, intelligent conversation.

A friend of mine who was a PhD physicist and big fan of Ursula K.
Leguin would drop "So it goes" into the conversation at every
opportunity. There were times when I wanted to strangle him.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Maxwell Lol" wrote

"Lee Michaels" writes:

"Swingman" wrote

AAMOF, at one point we counted the number of "Absolutely's" uttered by
all
the Microsofties involved in a presentation ... it was worse than
involuntarily focusing in on the "you know's" of modern speech.

Reminds me of John Denver on the tonight show. His favorite phrase was,
"far out!" They would count how many times he uttered that phrase during
the
times he hosted the show. I don't remember the number, but it was far
beyond
what any normal human being needed to use during any kind of rational,
intelligent conversation.

Was it a drinking game? Or perhaps a toking game?

Apparently it was his normal speech at that time. Years later he was
obviously embarrassed by mention of this behavior. I am certain being
immersed in the culture of the time had something to do with it. (oblique
reference to drugs here)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Jim Behning" wrote

I visit the Microsoft campus every year for the past 3 or 4 years.

First, and only, visit to MSFT was in 1994, which was notable, in
retrospect, for the response to _every_ query being the apparent buzz word
of their cultu

"Absolutely!"

AAMOF, at one point we counted the number of "Absolutely's" uttered by all
the Microsofties involved in a presentation ... it was worse than
involuntarily focusing in on the "you know's" of modern speech.

(tail end of boomers) some are great, some are just
MS youth that grew old.

Priceless!

Sup! Broghameniean?

Well like you know that is the way we like are suppose to speak these days.
Like "My Bad" is seriously cool like those prison bitch britches every one
is like wearing. Totally!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote

"Swingman" wrote

[...]

You removed 1/3 or the eulogy? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

A friend of mine who was a PhD physicist and big fan of Ursula K.
Leguin would drop "So it goes" into the conversation at every
opportunity.

Reminds me of Linda Ellerbee's tag line at the close of her show,
"...and so it goes".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"PDQ" wrote in message.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Windows Live is a service, not a client.

Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for the update

Unfortunately, he's totally wrong. "Windows Live Mail" is indeed a desktop
mail "CLIENT" and is MSFT's latest replacement for Outlook Express and can
be run on both Vista and Windows XP/SP2

"Windows Mail" is more or less the crippled mail client that ships with
Vista only.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SHOPDOG" writes:
ok, thanks for the replys.... I found how to acess it through the web
(google groups) DUH!

Bad idea. Some people ignore postings from google gropus because of the spam.

And you can't have kill files. And it's hard to just read new articles
(since last time you read them). And it's slower as a GUI.

It may be 'slower' but it is a lot faster than I can read and write.

It is trivial to use, follows threads accross multiple groups
searches back to the earliest days of UseNet, you don't have
to subscribe to individual newsgroups, and you can use it on
any machine with web access.

The absence of a kill file is its greatest weakness, IMHO.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SHOPDOG" writes:
ok, thanks for the replys.... I found how to acess it through the web
(google groups) DUH!

Bad idea. Some people ignore postings from google gropus because of the spam.

And you can't have kill files. And it's hard to just read new articles
(since last time you read them). And it's slower as a GUI.

If you use Firefox, there is an add-in called Greasemonkey that uses a
script file called "Google Groups Killfile" which allows for basic
killfile functionality. It basically takes the fully rendered page and
hides the stuff that matches the entries in the killfine script. It's
not perfect, but it works well enough for me.

Way cool!

Thanks!

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default [OT] Vista question

Fred the Red Shirt wrote in
:

Bad idea. Some people ignore postings from google gropus because of
the spam.

And you can't have kill files. And it's hard to just read new
articles (since last time you read them). And it's slower as a GUI.

It may be 'slower' but it is a lot faster than I can read and write.

It is trivial to use, follows threads accross multiple groups
searches back to the earliest days of UseNet, you don't have
to subscribe to individual newsgroups, and you can use it on
any machine with web access.

The absence of a kill file is its greatest weakness, IMHO.

--

FF

I've used Google Groups a bit, and have not been impressed. Everything's
so much easier through a real newsreader. Plus, I have a kill file. (It
matches regular expressions, too, so I get some practice.)

My ISP recently "switched to Google" or "Offloaded a bunch of stuff to
Google so they can make more profit." One of the things to go was NNTP
access. So now, I'm paying for Usenet NNTP access.

I do switch to Google Groups when I want to search for messages. One
thing Google excells at is, of course, search.

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 11:29 am, "J. Clarke" wrote:

A friend of mine who was a PhD physicist and big fan of Ursula K.
Leguin would drop "So it goes" into the conversation at every
opportunity. There were times when I wanted to strangle him.

I thought that originated with "Slaughtehouse Five" by
Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 9:55*pm, "SHOPDOG" wrote:
Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where outlook
express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the newsgroups
there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?

Thanks

SD

I have a Mac, as a result, I have no opinion. None. About anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charley" wrote in message
I never upgrade operating systems until the latest and greatest has been

out
for 6 months or so and Microsoft has come out with at least one service

pack
upgrade. None of their products are worth using until they have come out
with at least the first round of fixes for them.

I use whatever OS/OS version will run my software needs most reliably ...
IMO, it's the only smart way to chose/upgrade an operating system, server or
workstation, regardless of version. AAMOF, until last year I still had four
DNS servers running NT4 because that was the only thing an older version of
BIND, for which we wrote our custom DNS software, would reliably run on.

With MSFT these days, a service pack is mostly a collection of previously
issued/pushed fixes. IME, an _individual_ can miss out on some advanced
computing, particularly in the area of security, by being too rigid on when
you upgrade (all bets are off if you must support a large company of
servers/workstations).

A good example is Vista ... most, if not all, of the "performance and
reliability fixes" had already been pushed well in advance of SP1. AAMOF,
those who have installed Vista SP1 as of the last couple of days report
seeing no improvements in this area whatsoever.

Just my tuppence ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charley" wrote
I didn't even know that there was a SP1 for Vista yet. It's still way too
soon to adopt it, in my opinion. I'll stick with XP Pro and it's fixes.

It's
working quite well for me right now so I have no desire to open a new can

of
worms.

Don't blame you ... IIRC, SP1 "Final" for Vista was sent to manufacturing in
early to mid February, but many already have it, including those SP1 beta
testers for various parts of the OS. (I was involved in testing the USB
"ReadyBoost" feature and had the opportunity to download the final a couple
of weeks back, but didn't bother).

I'll wait until SP1 is pushed out on Windows Update, since I have no
problems whatsoever with Vista at this point due to the "performance and
reliability" fixes already installed.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim Stuyck wrote:
If I recall correctly, the original question dealt with using
Windows
Mail, in Vista, to access these newsgroups. I'm doing just that,
right now: Have been since I got this new computer a few days
before Christmas. I suppose I could use Microsoft Outlook, in
fact I did for a week or so, but for whatever reasons I decided
I preferred the simplicity of Windows Mail.

Accessing newsgroups from Outlook requires a third-party add-on or an
Exchange server set up to provide NNTP access.

This computer is sitting next to a 7-year-old computer that is
currently running Windows XP with SP2. Both work well, but
the new machine has 4 times the memory and three times the
speed and, frankly, it's now my favorite. I got used to the look
and feel of Vista (not that much different from XP) and have
no problems with either system.

YMMV

Jim Stuyck

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I have a Mac, as a result, I have no opinion. None. About anything.

That would certainly explain some of your posts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

SHOPDOG wrote:
Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where
outlook express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the
newsgroups there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?

Thanks

SD

I got a low end Compaq laptop that came with Vista Basic. It had 512MB
of memory wich is fine after I put XP on it, but wasa about 1.5GB short
for Vista. I ended up putting Ubuntu 7.10 on it with vmware for running
Windows XP. I also upgraded the memory from .5GB to 2GB from
Crucial.com for about $79.

As for a news client, Thunderbird works fine under Linux and Windows (XP
or Vista).

Great quote from Robert Cringely: "Microsoft finally figured out how to
get respect for one of its operating systems: release a new one that sucks
harder than the last one"

/happy user of OpenSuse and amazed at how much faster it runs than Windows.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:

SHOPDOG wrote:
[...]

Ain't it the truth! Using vmware server under Ubuntu on my desktop with
2.5GB, I also run Fedora, Win2K, WinXP and Solaris 10 simultaneously.
That combo runs faster and takes less ram than Vista, not to mention
supports all my old peripherals.
Posted to rec.woodworking

SHOPDOG wrote:

Ok, I just got a new laptop. After setting things up I found where outlook
express used to be is microsoft mail. Well, I can;t find the newsgroups
there. What gives? Is there a way to subscribe to the group?

Thanks

SD

See:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...166861033.aspx

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 7:44 pm, Maxwell Lol wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt writes:

It may be 'slower' but it is a lot faster than I can read and write.

It's up to you. But I once timed google groups, and it took me TEN
TIMES LONGER to read the same amount of articles than with a dedicated
news reader.

I don't see how that could be, but then again I don;t know
how you were using either or what your interests were.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 6:38 am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt writes:

It may be 'slower' but it is a lot faster than I can read and write.

It's up to you. But I once timed google groups, and it took me TEN
TIMES LONGER to read the same amount of articles than with a dedicated
news reader.

I don't see how that could be, but then again I don;t know
how you were using either or what your interests were.

How quickly can you read 10 new postings in 10 new threads?
By this I
mean the first 30 lines of each posting?

I don't see the relevance of the question. I
don't display any lines in any articles unless the
subject of the thread looks interesting.

Or - (as it's the same to
me) to read just the 30 new postings that occured that day?

Don't count replying. Don't count taking notes, or postings that
require thought. Think about as if the article contains information
that when you look at it, you have no interest in, but you don't know
until you read the first few lines.

If the subject line doesn't look to be interesting I don't display
the first few lines, much less the whole thread.

When I do display a thread, that I have already partially read,
I sort it by date and then quickly scroll down to the new
articles.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 7:43 am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt writes:

How quickly can you read 10 new postings in 10 new threads?
By this I
mean the first 30 lines of each posting?

I don't see the relevance of the question. I
don't display any lines in any articles unless the
subject of the thread looks interesting.

So assume the subject does look interesting.

The subject line for this thread has nothing to do with the topic.

Well that's the same with any newsreader too, right?

If the subject line doesn't look to be interesting I don't display
the first few lines, much less the whole thread.

When I do display a thread, that I have already partially read,
I sort it by date and then quickly scroll down to the new
articles.

And how long does that take you each time you do it? You have to
click on the subject line. Click on the Sort-By-Date,

That is done so fast I can't conveniently time it. Let's say
one second.

I actually open each thread that looks interesting in it's own tab,
before reading any. So it may take 5 seconds or so to open
10 threads in ten tabs.

and scroll/click
to the one you want to read.

It takes about a second or so to get the sorted list, and then
how long it takes to get to the articles depends on the
length of the thread. It can be cumbersome for threads with
more than a hundred articles, but if I log in there is also a 'new'
that goes directly to the first unread article in the thread.

And then click back to the index of threads, so you can do the next one.

I close the tab and go to the next tab.

I also so an 'ego search' to go directly to those articles that
quote mine.

By comparison, newsreaders I have used are slow and kludgy.
I may have had slow newsfeeds.

But hey, if you like how your newsreaders works, great! Some
people don't like pine, some people do.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
et...
snip

Well like you know that is the way we like are suppose to speak these
days. Like "My Bad" is seriously cool like those prison bitch britches
every one is like wearing. Totally!

Chill, Dude!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt writes:

How quickly can you read 10 new postings in 10 new threads?
By this I
mean the first 30 lines of each posting?

I don't see the relevance of the question. I
don't display any lines in any articles unless the
subject of the thread looks interesting.

So assume the subject does look interesting.

The subject line for this thread has nothing to do with the topic.

Well that's the same with any newsreader too, right?

Yes. Which is why I made this point. I didn't want to include the case
where the subject line is used to skip over the article. I have
killfiles that automatically skip over some topics. It takes me zero
time to do this, and I did not want to include this in the comparison
of a newsrerader vs. googlegroups.

The lack of a decent kill file is a huge drawback to
google groups. No doubt about that.

--

FF