Posted to rec.woodworking

Default CABINET SCRAPER

On Feb 25, 7:53 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.woodzone.com/articles/scrapers/index.htm

Seems to pretty well cover it. A single edge razor blade will
work, but a tad small in a lot of cases. And, I did a search, and
didn't see a thing about the scraper should flex.

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker

I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

I don't use scraper much except for glue cleanup. I have always held
the scraper in a way that would allow me to flex a bit so that the
corners didn't dig in if I didn't have perfect alignment.

Check this out... this is from the article you linked to:

***************

"The second trick is to bend the scraper slightly in the middle. (See
picture to the right.) The easiest way to bend the scraper is to hold
the edges and apply pressure to the middle. There are a number of
commercial jigs that hold and bend scrapers for easier use."

***************

They even make flex holders that will keep the scraper at the perfect
bend (you determine) when for your specific use.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 10:15 pm, (J T) wrote:
Mon, Feb 25, 2008, 7:00pm (EST-3) doth sayeth:
I don't use scraper much except for glue cleanup. I have always held the
scraper in a way that would allow me to flex a bit so that the corners
didn't dig in if I didn't have perfect alignment.
Check this out... this is from the article you linked to: snip

I'd just round the edges a bit. Eh, I've never heard of flexing a
scraper, until on rec.woodworking. And I searched for flex, not bend.
No biggie. I've never had any problems with a non-bendy scraper, which
includes, glass, and knife blades. But, if you do want bendy, I don't
see any reason why they won't work OK. Last time I can actually recall
scraping anything was something probably around 12-13 years back, and
for that I used glass - worked just fine.

Isn't bending the scraper the same as skewing a plane?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 9:30 pm, (J T) wrote:

ADDENDUM:
In thinking, the only time I might opt for a flexible, or bendable,
scraper, is if I were an instrument maker, and would need precise tools.
Even in that event ho, I believe I'd prefer to just make specific
shapped scrapers, rather than flex them.

I think that is one of the reasons there are so many different shapes
of scrapers out there now, including home made ones.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 10:26 pm, RicodJour wrote:

Isn't bending the scraper the same as skewing a plane?

I don't think so.

Skewing a plane means to make your cut angle skewed to the surface
grain, rather than to cut directly parallel or perpendicular. You do
no physically bend the blade causing it to be misshapen. You still
cut across the width of the blade.

When you literally bend the blade on a scraper, you actually flex the
blade into concave shape, with the lower part of the curve on the
surface you are scraping with the edges bent up. You only cut at the
point of contact, the bottom of your flexed scraper, making the cut
area much smaller and easier to control.

My 0.02, etc.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 26, 1:02 am, "
wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:26 pm, RicodJour wrote:

Isn't bending the scraper the same as skewing a plane?

I don't think so.

Skewing a plane means to make your cut angle skewed to the surface
grain, rather than to cut directly parallel or perpendicular. You do
no physically bend the blade causing it to be misshapen. You still
cut across the width of the blade.

When you literally bend the blade on a scraper, you actually flex the
blade into concave shape, with the lower part of the curve on the
surface you are scraping with the edges bent up. You only cut at the
point of contact, the bottom of your flexed scraper, making the cut
area much smaller and easier to control.

I realize that bending the scraper is primarily intended to keep the
edges from digging in, but skewing the plane changes the effective
angle of the blade, and that's what's happening when you bend a
scraper. Ancillary benefit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

Isn't bending the scraper the same as skewing a plane?

I understand the bend is done for the same reason we camber a smooth
plane blade, to help blend each track with no edges digging in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 26, 6:52 am, RicodJour wrote:

I realize that bending the scraper is primarily intended to keep the
edges from digging in, but skewing the plane changes the effective
angle of the blade, and that's what's happening when you bend a
scraper. Ancillary benefit.

Sounds good to me.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 26, 1:02 am, "
wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:26 pm, RicodJour wrote:

Isn't bending the scraper the same as skewing a plane?

I don't think so.

Skewing a plane means to make your cut angle skewed to the surface
grain, rather than to cut directly parallel or perpendicular. You do
no physically bend the blade causing it to be misshapen. You still
cut across the width of the blade.

When you literally bend the blade on a scraper, you actually flex the
blade into concave shape, with the lower part of the curve on the
surface you are scraping with the edges bent up.

Convex.

You only cut at the
point of contact, the bottom of your flexed scraper, making the cut
area much smaller and easier to control.

It also prevents the corners from digging in.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 10:30 pm, (J T) wrote:
Mon, Feb 25, 2008, 7:00pm (EST-3) did post:
all snipped

ADDENDUM:
In thinking, the only time I might opt for a flexible, or bendable,
scraper, is if I were an instrument maker, and would need precise tools.
Even in that event ho, I believe I'd prefer to just make specific
shapped scrapers, rather than flex them. Be a bit time-consuming maybe,
but I think it'd be well worth the effort in the end. That's if I make
my own, if someone wants to donate any to me, I'll take what's offered,
hank them, and use it.

I bought several antique scraper planes.

Some of them had the irons ground to a crown.

--

FF