Tim Douglass

Default How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:55:25 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
t wrote:

Two or three is about all I'm capable of. Always been a big boy, but I've
kept myself in marginally good enough shape to do what needs to be done.
One thing I have worried about, as a volunteer firefighter, is getting into
trouble and having my fellow FF's not be able to get me out. Full air pack
and gear I tip the scales at almost 340 lbs.

I remember that. I was a vol. FF for several years before moving. We
had a little gal about 120 lbs soaking wet who wanted to work on the
hose teams. I refused to work with her because she couldn't even drag
me across a smooth concrete floor. If there wasn't someone big enough
to make a serious stab at moving me I just stayed out of the
structure.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Andrew Barss

Charlie Self wrote:
: Mark Jerde asks:

:Charlie Self wrote:
:
: Do NOT use drywall screws.
:
:Why is that?
:

: They're brittle, so their shear strength is poor.

This is absolutely true. But I've never known why.
So ... why are drywall screws so hard and brittle?
They're designed to go through drywall, which is
not very hard, and then softwood 2xs.

Anyone know?

-- Andy Barss

todd

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Charlie Self wrote:
: Mark Jerde asks:

:Charlie Self wrote:
:
: Do NOT use drywall screws.
:
:Why is that?
:

: They're brittle, so their shear strength is poor.

This is absolutely true. But I've never known why.
So ... why are drywall screws so hard and brittle?
They're designed to go through drywall, which is
not very hard, and then softwood 2xs.

Anyone know?

-- Andy Barss

Don't forget that they're also designed to be drilled into a metal stud.
Perhaps they are as hard as they are to be able to drill through the steel.

todd

Charlie Self

todd responds:

Don't forget that they're also designed to be drilled into a metal stud.
Perhaps they are as hard as they are to be able to drill through the steel

Might be, except I think drywall screws pre-date metal studs by quite a few
years.

And it has never bothered fastener manufacturers to put out an extra product or
two to cover things like metal studs. The confusion factor is not theirs, it's
ours.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would
promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Henry E Schaffer

In article ,
todd wrote:
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Charlie Self wrote:
: Mark Jerde asks:

:Charlie Self wrote:
:
: Do NOT use drywall screws.
:
:Why is that?
:

: They're brittle, so their shear strength is poor.

This is absolutely true. But I've never known why.
So ... why are drywall screws so hard and brittle?
They're designed to go through drywall, which is
not very hard, and then softwood 2xs.

Anyone know?

-- Andy Barss

Don't forget that they're also designed to be drilled into a metal stud.
Perhaps they are as hard as they are to be able to drill through the steel.

Maybe to save money - they are hardened so they aren't dead soft, and
then they save the tempering step.
--
--henry schaffer

Silvan

Andrew Barss wrote:

This is absolutely true. But I've never known why.
So ... why are drywall screws so hard and brittle?
They're designed to go through drywall, which is
not very hard, and then softwood 2xs.

Anyone know?

So you twist lots of heads off and have to buy more screws?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/