Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ideal power switch

I've been pondering this as I use the various tools in my shop. I've
thought of some qualities my "ideal" power switch would have, and I
thought I'd share my thoughts.

* Recessed ON button. I don't mean "has a collar around it" I mean
"inside the switch body". Nothing I can bump by accident, or get
something caught on.

* Small ON button. Big enough for a finger to push, not big enough
for anything else to push.

* Protruding OFF button. Stick it way out. I want to be able to shut
the tools off *fast* and *easily*, with whatever happens to be
available to hit that button with. I usually slap mine with the
palm of my hand while keeping my attention on the whirling sharp
parts.

* OFF button sticks out further than the ON button. Yes, this should
be implicit from the above, but it's important - if I hit the switch
with the palm of my hand, I want the tool OFF.

* Bigger OFF then ON button. I want to be sure I'm hitting the right
one when groping around while keeping my eyes on the wood and
blades.

* Turns OFF and stays OFF when power is lost. If I hit the ON button
while the tool is unplugged, it should NOT turn on if I then plug it
in.

I know people will say I should mention locking switches, but I kill
the shop's whole subpanel at the main breaker panel when needed.

Ok folks, add your ideas!