Hylourgos

Default Home-made timber saw: thoughts?

Have you seen the large (12"-15" blade) timber framing saws? They're
just a heavy duty circular saw with large blades, seems to me. The
Makita I recently saw was only 12 amps at that...

What would prevent someone from making their own from a decent
circular saw to begin with, then fabricating a larger safety housing
for the blade? That housing alone, it seems, jacks the price up about
$200.

Just curious,

ps: I'm not looking for dire warnings from scaredycats and
hypersafetyites. If you have genuine experience with this sort of
thing and can offer reasoned caveats, however, feel welcome to offer
something.
My Old Tools

I have the Makita 16" and the Big Foot 10". The Big Foot is a Skill
Sidewinder with a larger housing and shoe bolted on. I think they also do a
14". Check Tool Crib. The Sidewinder has more torque than conventional
direct drive saws.

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
Have you seen the large (12"-15" blade) timber framing saws? They're
just a heavy duty circular saw with large blades, seems to me. The
Makita I recently saw was only 12 amps at that...

What would prevent someone from making their own from a decent
circular saw to begin with, then fabricating a larger safety housing
for the blade? That housing alone, it seems, jacks the price up about
$200.

Just curious,

ps: I'm not looking for dire warnings from scaredycats and
hypersafetyites. If you have genuine experience with this sort of
thing and can offer reasoned caveats, however, feel welcome to offer
something.

Hylourgos

Ahh...I hadn't considered torque. Even a sidewinder would most likely
bog down under 7" or so of timber. g

Thanks for jogging my brains,

"My Old Tools" wrote in message ...
I have the Makita 16" and the Big Foot 10". The Big Foot is a Skill
Sidewinder with a larger housing and shoe bolted on. I think they also do a
14". Check Tool Crib. The Sidewinder has more torque than conventional
direct drive saws.

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
Have you seen the large (12"-15" blade) timber framing saws? They're
just a heavy duty circular saw with large blades, seems to me. The
Makita I recently saw was only 12 amps at that...

What would prevent someone from making their own from a decent
circular saw to begin with, then fabricating a larger safety housing
for the blade? That housing alone, it seems, jacks the price up about
$200.

Just curious,

ps: I'm not looking for dire warnings from scaredycats and
hypersafetyites. If you have genuine experience with this sort of
thing and can offer reasoned caveats, however, feel welcome to offer
something.

Dan Petroski

It would seem to me that would be fairly easy to do buy cutting off just the
outer part of the shield and expanding the dia of the shield and doing the
same with the base of the saw to accommodate the increase in blade dia. As a
tool and die maker of some 40 years I too make a lot of my tools and get
chastised . Forgive them for they do not understand. Have fun at what you
do.
"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
Have you seen the large (12"-15" blade) timber framing saws? They're
just a heavy duty circular saw with large blades, seems to me. The
Makita I recently saw was only 12 amps at that...

What would prevent someone from making their own from a decent
circular saw to begin with, then fabricating a larger safety housing
for the blade? That housing alone, it seems, jacks the price up about
$200.

Just curious,

ps: I'm not looking for dire warnings from scaredycats and
hypersafetyites. If you have genuine experience with this sort of
thing and can offer reasoned caveats, however, feel welcome to offer
something.

Jay Pique

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:10:52 -0700, "Dan Petroski"
wrote:

It would seem to me that would be fairly easy to do buy cutting off just the
outer part of the shield and expanding the dia of the shield and doing the
same with the base of the saw to accommodate the increase in blade dia. As a
tool and die maker of some 40 years I too make a lot of my tools and get
chastised . Forgive them for they do not understand. Have fun at what you
do.

Amen brother. I'm a lawyer and it really ****es me off at all the
namby-pamby lawsuits that are out there. I really think that part of
what has historically made the U.S. great is our willingness to be
adventurous and take risks. As a nation, I think we've gone soft. It
bugs me that *I'm* soft. Maybe it's just the natural progression of
things - people bust there asses and take risks so that their children
can live more comfortably. Who knows. It's not just the lawsuits
either, it's our overall attitude towards things. My sister just
tonight was freaking *adamant* about not wanting her son (MY nephew)
to play goalie on his hockey team b/c she was afraid he'd get hurt.
"Wear your helmet", "Ban firearms", "Buckle Up - It's the LAW",
"Strict Liability", "War Is Evil" etc.... Next thing you know
they'll require warning signs on all staircases to the effect that if
you fall down them you are likely to do SERIOUS BODILY HARM. I'm sure
the sticker and adhesive companies are already hard at work....writing
checks to their lobbyists.

Who knows.

JP
Born too late.