Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Working Beech

Started making the legs for my new bench.

I had bought Beech and Ash years ago from a farm going under.
I paid more than it was worth, while the woman thought I didn't pay
enough. I wanted it for the bench but it was too small 8/4's and not
straight at all. So I decided to use the beech for legs. This is my
first time working with beech. Wow, this stuff works great. Hand planing
was easy, ripping on the band saw smooth as silk.

If it were easy to find, I would do more in beech and less in maple.
I'll have to glue up the legs to get to my 2 3/4 thickness. After
milling close to size then planing to get it straight, I am at 1 3/4..

NICE WOOD

Dead beech tree robgraham UK diy 3 March 10th 07 12:27 PM
What are the possible uses of an American Beech Tree Patrick Rose Woodworking 9 March 8th 07 05:36 PM
Beech front door 51 UK diy 4 November 7th 06 07:58 AM
where can I find some beech for a workbench top? Pete Stolz Woodworking 14 February 10th 06 03:05 AM
Third Bite of Beech George Woodturning 3 January 28th 06 08:41 PM