Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dead beech tree

Yes I know this is possibly a bit OT, but DIY'ing one's own logs makes
it OK ... I think.

Anyway I noticed late last summer that a beech tree nearby had
suddenly gone brown - all the leaves had died. So I mentally marked
it for a request to the local farmer for permission to fell it this
year for logs. The 'felling' part has proved to be unnecessary as
nature has brought it down for me - the farmer is now complaining of
course as it damaged his fencing.

What puzzles me is that the tree appears to have died from the roots
up in that there is really very little root ball and the roots have
broken off pretty close to the bole. The tree is mature (30 inch
diameter) but there's no rot. It could have been caused by the dry
summer but there is a burn close by.

Anybody got an explanation as I would have expected the dead tree to
have stood for some time before falling and there to be significant
ground damage when it did come down.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"robgraham" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Does it look like it had
http://tinyurl.com/3ymrx3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Mar, 19:31, "R" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I don't remember seeing anything like that last year when the tree was
standing and I wasn't aware of anything when I was logging this
afternoon, but it might well be that such lesions will have
disappeared once the tree died. It does have a canker on it which is
more like a elm burr which I'll investigate for turning.

I've been onto the Forestry Commission website and they have a contact
number for this condition - fortunately I live only half a dozen miles
out of Edinburgh so should be able to get an answer quickly.

Thanks for answering - pretty unlikely it is this I suspect but at
least I'll get a professional answer on why the tree did die so
quickly. Can't see this pleasing the farmer either !.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
[...]

Could be fungal, could be lightning strike.

We walk the woods pretty regularly. Loads of trees that have fungal
attack simply snap off at the base..

Or as you have, the lateral roots have gone and it just uproots.

Its good firewood, is beech.

What are the possible uses of an American Beech Tree Patrick Rose Woodworking 9 March 8th 07 05:36 PM
Dead tree amidst copse Treelady UK diy 2 January 27th 07 07:21 PM
Milling wood from a dead tree shooter Woodworking 1 April 10th 06 06:47 AM
Tree Roots from neighbor's tree causing sewer problem Keller, TX??? mscraven Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 12:06 AM