Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workbench Lumber

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
While on that page, select 'oak' and zoom in on it.

Doesn't look like oak to me--looks more like stained rubber wood
or ramin. The beech does look like beech.
FF

I've bought several of the Ikea birch counter tops and have been quite happy
with them....when shopping, the Oak version was indeed oak and looked very
nice....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:25:36 -0800 (PST), yugami
wrote:

On Jan 27, 1:19 pm, Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:
On Jan 26, 9:38 pm, "DGDevin" wrote:

"yugami" wrote in message

While the woodcraft ones are of a different class theIkeaones are 30
Bucks for some sizes.
Not too shabby. Put some 3/4" ply under that and you should have a
nice rigid top.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40091673

This is the one I was thinking of, about 25 x 50 for $89.00, for some reason
I remembered it being more like $50 but apparently that's for the 15" deep
version which is too small for my purposes.

While on that page, select 'oak' and zoom in on it.

Doesn't look like oak to me--looks more like stained rubber wood
or ramin. The beech does look like beech.

After selecting oak the page does claim that it is solid Oak.

product description & measurements
Solid oak, Oil

I would guess that if it wasn't solid oak that they would be sued.
IKEA would make a pretty big target for false claims lawsuits

It doesn't say what KIND of oak.
Oak is a bit like a DOG. just because you recognize one breed doesn't
mean you recognize another. (think Jack Russel vs St Bernard)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 9:51 pm, "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in ...

While on that page, select 'oak' and zoom in on it.

Doesn't look like oak to me--looks more like stained rubber wood
or ramin. The beech does look like beech.
FF

I've bought several of the Ikea birch counter tops and have been quite happy
with them....when shopping, the Oak version was indeed oak and looked very
nice....Rod

I was just at an Ikea the other night and indeed the oak countertops
there were oak.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

"yugami" wrote in message

[...]

So like, if you don't recognize what sort of dog this is:

http://slayeroffice.com/gr/javascript_the_cat.jpg

would you suppose it is some sort of dog you hadn't
seen before?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Jan 26, 9:38 pm, "DGDevin" wrote:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40091673

This is the one I was thinking of, about 25 x 50 for $89.00, for some reason
I remembered it being more like $50 but apparently that's for the 15" deep
version which is too small for my purposes.

While on that page, select 'oak' and zoom in on it.

Doesn't look like oak to me--looks more like stained rubber wood
or ramin. The beech does look like beech.

After selecting oak the page does claim that it is solid Oak.

product description & measurements
Solid oak, Oil

I would guess that if it wasn't solid oak that they would be sued.
IKEA would make a pretty big target for false claims lawsuits

My guess is that the wrong picture is being used.

BTW,
K-Mart sells rubber or ramin wood furniture, the boxes or tags
say color: oak. They don't say the wood is oak.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

"yugami" wrote in message

[...]

My thought exactly - many DOGS look more like that CAT than like a St
Bernard, or Lab, or Wolfhound.
If you only knew Jack Russels as dogs you might think a wolfhound or a
St Bernard as some kind of Horse, cow, deer, or whatever else you
might be aquainted with..
Likewise, you might think a particular oak was ash, hickory, or some
other wood - just like some mistake them for Oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"yugami" wrote in message

[...]

But if you DO see an animal that you DO recognize as being a cat,
would you suppose it is really a dog you don't recognize?

If you only knew Jack Russels as dogs you might think a wolfhound or a
St Bernard as some kind of Horse, cow, deer, or whatever else you
might be aquainted with..
Likewise, you might think a particular oak was ash, hickory, or some
other wood - just like some mistake them for Oak.

Indeed but also irrelevant as the wood in the picture does not look
like
ask or hickory. It looks like rubber wood or ramin. I can't tell
the
difference between rubber wood or ramin, but neither looks at all
like oak, ash, chestnut or any similar wood.

--

FF

What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard eganders Woodworking 9 October 15th 07 10:27 PM
New workbench Martin Carroll UK diy 6 July 10th 07 07:21 PM
Building a Workbench and Lumber Storage Rack - Free Diagrams csb001 Woodworking 2 June 14th 07 09:53 PM
Workbench - plywood or laminate lumber Ben Woodworking 17 September 7th 06 06:47 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM