Richards

Default Leigh FMT Jig

I just received the Leigh FMT Jig this morning. My first mortise and
tenon was perfect! Great jig. Great manual. In my opinion it's well
worth the money if you're going to cut a lot of mortise and tenon
joints. The resulting joint is *much* better than the joints I've been
getting with my dedicated mortiser (Jet) and my tenoning jig (Delta) on
my Unisaw.

J.B. Bobbitt

"Richards" wrote in message
J.B. Bobbitt wrote:
Disclaimers?

Does praise for a tool mean that I am associated with the tool maker?

Often, yes. This is the I-n-t-er-n-e-t. For an $800+ tool, I want to know.

I have no affiliation with Leigh Jigs, nor their representatives, nor
anyone who sells their tools; however, I am a very satisfied customer,
both of the FMT and the D4 dovetail jig. The Leigh people know what
they're doing and they know how to write an instruction manual.

I'm a proud and satisfied owner of a D4 myself. Excelent jig.

-JBB

Mark Jerde

Richards wrote:

Does praise for a tool mean that I am associated with the tool maker?

Unfortunately, though I've only been here a few months, there are some
glowing posts that are calculated to get people to buy X, Y or Z.

The Leigh people know what
they're doing and they know how to write an instruction manual.

I'm glad to hear about the excellence of the instruction manual. I've been
in the software industry for 20+ years and good documentation is incredibly
hard to produce. Congrats for companies that do it well.

-- Mark

Edwin Pawlowski

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message

Does praise for a tool mean that I am associated with the tool maker?

Often, yes. This is the I-n-t-er-n-e-t. For an $800+ tool, I want to

know.

Yeah, we want to see copies of the bill of sale posted, photos of you
picking it up at the store and an affidavit from the salesman that you paid
retail price.
Ed

Wood Butcher

Thanks for the praise Leon, but I had nothing
to do with it. Really.

Art

"Leon" wrote in message
y.com...
All of the Leigh manuals are a work of art... ;~)

Lazarus Long

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 15:28:25 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message

Does praise for a tool mean that I am associated with the tool maker?

Often, yes. This is the I-n-t-er-n-e-t. For an $800+ tool, I want to

know.

Yeah, we want to see copies of the bill of sale posted, photos of you
picking it up at the store and an affidavit from the salesman that you paid
retail price.
Ed

Looks like we gotta get out the lawyers and go to trial.

william kossack

Anyone know where to get that 1/32 bit they talk about in the manual for
cutting mortise on a match stick? I've been searching all week (got my
FMT on Monday the 3rd from highland before the price increase) and I
have not been able to find one that will fit on a router. I've talked
to leigh who says they can buy the bits locally where they are in BC.
I've talked to highland (forget any woodworking supply place). I've
even talked to mscdirect and a local machine tool supplier in denver.
The best I can do is a 1/32 with an 1/8th inch shaft which can not be
fitted to a routher without a 1/8-1/4 collet.

This saturday I was able to spend a little time mounting and setting it
up. I had a little trouble with my first attempts but that was because
of something I did wrong (got to learn to read;-). When I discovered
what I had done wrong the temperature was dropping and the sun was going
down and I had other things I needed to get done. This afternoon after
it warms up outside I'm going to try again

For those that care I can only wish I was associated with leigh. I've
had a D4 for two years and I've been doing things like the little
christmas present boxes shown at
http://home.comcast.net/~wskossack/boxes.html

My main justification for buying the FMT is some furniture projects
planned for next year and a problem that I don't have any space to leave
tools out. All my tools must be portable so I can put them on a shelf
afterwards. The idea of saving space by being able to use my pc 693
instead of buying a mortiser or a better tablesaw etc is attractive to me.

One project involves the rebuild of a wooden base fore a large brass
table. If you imagine a six legged wooden base that folds up. Each leg
is contructed of 3 pieces of wood (I think indonesean rosewood but the
base and table are from india) and joined with bolts and the wood is
about and inch thick. The base was damaged in shipment recently and
then fell breaking many of the joints. To rebuild I need mortise and
tenons and some will probably have to be angled.

Richards wrote:

I just received the Leigh FMT Jig this morning. My first mortise and
tenon was perfect! Great jig. Great manual. In my opinion it's well
worth the money if you're going to cut a lot of mortise and tenon
joints. The resulting joint is *much* better than the joints I've
been getting with my dedicated mortiser (Jet) and my tenoning jig
(Delta) on my Unisaw.

william kossack

second day went much better Isn't it interesting when you tighten in
the correct direction. After a few tries I had a mortise and tenon that
fit tight enough to pop when I pulled them apart

william kossack wrote:

I just received the Leigh FMT Jig this morning. My first mortise and
tenon was perfect! Great jig. Great manual. In my opinion it's well
worth the money if you're going to cut a lot of mortise and tenon
joints. The resulting joint is *much* better than the joints I've
been getting with my dedicated mortiser (Jet) and my tenoning jig
(Delta) on my Unisaw.

Robin Lee

Richards wrote:

I just received the Leigh FMT Jig this morning. My first mortise and
tenon was perfect! Great jig. Great manual. In my opinion it's well
worth the money if you're going to cut a lot of mortise and tenon
joints. The resulting joint is *much* better than the joints I've
been getting with my dedicated mortiser (Jet) and my tenoning jig
(Delta) on my Unisaw.

William -

We go down to 1/16 -

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...6168,46171&abs
page=1&ccurrency=2&SID=

Have never seen a 1/32 bit for a router...

Best bet would be to look at a dremel, with router attachment...

Cheers -

Rob Lee

william kossack

I thought of that but the router must attach to the FMT and I don't
think a dremel would attach correctly.

According to the leigh manual it is a milling bit for metal. I've found
some end mills down to 1/32 but the
shank is 1/8th. I've found a collet to step 1/8th up to 1/4 but that
adds more than $20 to the cost. Leigh
says they can buy the bit they use locally in BC.