William R. Hopcraft

Default leigh dovetail jig

I'm thinking about taking the plunge a buying a Leigh D4 dovetail jig. I've
seen demonstrations at shows and like the design and features. About the
only thing that worries me is how many of these things show up on ebay with
a description like 'only used once or twice'. Makes me wonder if people
hate these things after they buy them. anybody out there have any thoughts?

Swingman

A good deal of the answer to your questions revolves around how often you
will be using the jig, and only you can honestly foresee that. I use mine on
every project that I make drawers for, which is most of them. While
initially expensive, it has saved me a lot of time and, in that sense alone,
it was worth every penny.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"William R. Hopcraft" wrote in message
I'm thinking about taking the plunge a buying a Leigh D4 dovetail jig.

I've
seen demonstrations at shows and like the design and features. About the
only thing that worries me is how many of these things show up on ebay

with
a description like 'only used once or twice'. Makes me wonder if people
hate these things after they buy them. anybody out there have any

thoughts?

Tom Dacon

It's a little complicated to learn, and each time you use it you need to
make one or more test cuts on samples of the specific stock you will be
using, in order to fine-tune your setup. So occasional users might get
frustrated with it. For me, since I use it only occasionally myself, I
pretty much have to start over with it each time. So that might account for
those 'only used once or twice' comments. I'd say that buying one of those
on eBay might get you a good bargain since it'll be nearly new.

Tom Dacon

"William R. Hopcraft" wrote in message
I'm thinking about taking the plunge a buying a Leigh D4 dovetail jig.

I've
seen demonstrations at shows and like the design and features. About the
only thing that worries me is how many of these things show up on ebay

with
a description like 'only used once or twice'. Makes me wonder if people
hate these things after they buy them. anybody out there have any

thoughts?

Leon

"Joe" wrote in message
I myself like the Akeda dovetail jig. It's much easier to use than the
Leigh.

Easier but less versatitable.. An 18" dovetail would be out of the question
IIRC.

Mike in Mystic

now THAT sounds like a pain in the ass.

And the Leigh is NOT complicated AT ALL. The only prerequisite is the
ability to read.

"Joe" wrote in message
I have glued mine together and have made drawers as wide as 24" with the
Akeda.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Joe" wrote in message
I myself like the Akeda dovetail jig. It's much easier to use than the
Leigh.

Easier but less versatitable.. An 18" dovetail would be out of the

question
IIRC.

Lazarus Long

I love my Leigh. There's a lot of parts in the box to assemble, maybe
the sheer number of parts is overwhelming to some.

There's a good manual that comes with it. I didn't read it cover to
cover, just the parts relevant to what I wanted to do. This of course
is through dovetails to make some drawers. After a while I wanted to
do sliding dovetails. No problem. Read the relevant section.

And so on. This jig can do a lot, or as little as you want. And you
can add different template guides to make other kinds of joints. It's
really very versatile. As much or as little as you want.