Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood grain filler

What's the best product to use? Mohawk sells pre-tinted grain filler in
Walnut and Mahogany. Of course there is untinted which I have to tint
myself, apparently using regular wood stain. What about this Crystalac
waterborne clear filler? Anyone use that, and if so what were the results?

The application is an antique radio that has been stripped, and has a pretty
open grain wood. I'm looking for a smooth "piano finish" and will be using
Mohawk lacquer for the the finishing coats. I'll probably stain first.

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:40:20 -0500, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

The application is an antique radio that has been stripped, and has a pretty
open grain wood. I'm looking for a smooth "piano finish" and will be using
Mohawk lacquer for the the finishing coats. I'll probably stain first.

If you're purchasing everything, vs. trying to use what's in stock,
I'd probably stick with Mohawk for the entire system.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm purchasing everything - nothing is "in stock' so I can choose whatever
is best. And of course if there is something that will save me some work
that would be preferable.

wrote:

The application is an antique radio that has been stripped, and has a
pretty
open grain wood. I'm looking for a smooth "piano finish" and will be
using
Mohawk lacquer for the the finishing coats. I'll probably stain first.

If you're purchasing everything, vs. trying to use what's in stock,
I'd probably stick with Mohawk for the entire system.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unrevealed Source said:

What's the best product to use? Mohawk sells pre-tinted grain filler in
Walnut and Mahogany. Of course there is untinted which I have to tint
myself, apparently using regular wood stain. What about this Crystalac
waterborne clear filler? Anyone use that, and if so what were the results?

The application is an antique radio that has been stripped, and has a pretty
open grain wood. I'm looking for a smooth "piano finish" and will be using
Mohawk lacquer for the the finishing coats. I'll probably stain first.

IMHO, the filler will distract from the wood. I would use the lacquer
as both filler and finish, but will require sanding between coats
until filled.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:51:53 -0500, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

I'm purchasing everything - nothing is "in stock' so I can choose whatever
is best. And of course if there is something that will save me some work
that would be preferable.

In that case...

Sticking with a system has a neat way of saving unexpected work.

I'd still stay with the same manufacturer's products.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unrevealed Source said:

I think I asked this question in the wrong group.

Oh, I don't know...
http://www.thevideodoc.com/pelectr1.htm

Greg G.