Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router for a table

Bought a used Fein RT1800 to mount under a table and now have a sick
feeling that it may not work very well for that. It just doesn't have
much reach. At what distance (tabletop to collet) do you declare the
situation hopeless? Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:54:05 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

Bought a used Fein RT1800 to mount under a table and now have a sick
feeling that it may not work very well for that. It just doesn't have
much reach. At what distance (tabletop to collet) do you declare the
situation hopeless? Thanks.

When that distance is greater than you can accomodate with one of
these?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11074

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 12, 5:54*pm, Davej wrote:
Bought a used Fein RT1800 to mount under a table and now have a sick
feeling that it may not work very well for that. It just doesn't have
much reach. At what distance (tabletop to collet) do you declare the
situation hopeless? Thanks.

As John mentioned, the Xtreme Xtension does as it says and extends the
reach of your router bits through the table. I have a Hitachi M12V
mounted on a 3/8" piece of plexiglass in my router table. I bought a
Router Raizer and an Xtreme Xtension and am quite happy with both
purchases. I can change bits and raise and lower the router all from
above. I had some doubts about the Xtreme Xtensions capability to hold
bits without slipping but I'm happy to say it has worked flawlessly
from day one. I use both 1/2" and 1/4" shank bits with no problems.
Happy woodworking.

Dale
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 12, 10:29 pm, dale martin wrote:
On Jan 12, 5:54 pm, Davej wrote:

Bought a used Fein RT1800 to mount under a table and now have a sick
feeling that it may not work very well for that. It just doesn't have
much reach. At what distance (tabletop to collet) do you declare the
situation hopeless? Thanks.

As John mentioned, the Xtreme Xtension does as it says and extends the
reach of your router bits through the table. I have a Hitachi M12V
mounted on a 3/8" piece of plexiglass in my router table. I bought a
Router Raizer and an Xtreme Xtension and am quite happy with both
purchases. I can change bits and raise and lower the router all from
above. I had some doubts about the Xtreme Xtensions capability to hold
bits without slipping but I'm happy to say it has worked flawlessly
from day one. I use both 1/2" and 1/4" shank bits with no problems.
Happy woodworking.

Ok, that looks like a solution. I feel rather stupid though. I could
have bought a new Triton for the price of this used Fein plus an
expensive extender. How many big routers need add-ons to work in a
table? I would have thought that any manufacturer of a big router
would give consideration to table usage. It seems a bit kooky to me.
Thanks.