Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ideas for capturing miter saw (non slider) dust

OK.. I'm looking for an elegant solution to use a 6" DC line to catch 90% of
the dust from my Dewalt 12" miter box.

This should be a nice engineering challenge. Taking into account miter and
bevel (dual bevel) combinations there are many angles to which dust will
fly.

I don't think a box surrounding the whole dust potential area is going to
work effectively. That would have to cover about 26" wide by 18" high.
That's a lot of area for a 6" (27 sq inches) DC line to cover.

If you are wondering why 6".. google Bill Pentz.

I have watched the dust fly from my saw and 50% or so slams right into the
back pivot points. The DW has a pathetic 1" port at the back. To a shop
vac, it maybe gets 50% of the bigger stuff. The advantage to this port is
that it stays aligned to the blade regardless of bevel or miter position.

I'm thinking some kind of 6" port that better encases the area where most of
the dust will fly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kevin -

I don't think you'll ever capture all the dust, but getting most of
the fine dust
is possible. I built a unit that sits on a swivel designed to hold
those old
heavy computer monitors. It has a 4 or 5" port in a 12" x 12" black
plastic
back. It then flares out to about 20" x 20". It's mounted on a movable
unit
and works pretty good after I built a card board deflector. My unit is
Makita 1013 SCMS. If you want I can send you a picture ...

Les

On Jan 11, 4:20*pm, "Kevin"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:20:46 -0700, "Kevin"
wrote:

OK.. I'm looking for an elegant solution to use a 6" DC line to catch 90% of
the dust from my Dewalt 12" miter box.

I use a box built from foam, after several hoods, IF I can't do it
outside!

I hear Festool will soon sell a miter saw with good dust collection.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

I use a box built from foam, after several hoods, IF I can't do it
outside!

I gave up on my Makita 1013 .. pulled the table the slider is on about 6"
back from the wall, let the dust bounce off the wall onto the floor below,
then suck it up from there ... when I get time/feel like it.

Out of sight, out of mind works better sometimes ... particularly when
everything else tried was frustrating time and energy spent away from making
something worthwhile.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:00:06 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

I gave up on my Makita 1013 .. pulled the table the slider is on about 6"
back from the wall, let the dust bounce off the wall onto the floor below,
then suck it up from there ... when I get time/feel like it.

That's exactly how my foam box works. It's 2" blue foam duct taped
together, that lets the dust fall to the floor.

The foam doubles as a "door block" over my exhaust fan, for spraying!
Unfolded, it fits the door. Folded to a 45 degree angle, with a 12"
center section, it deflects SCMS dust. It folds flat to store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is a dream for a CMS. I have fairly large DC system(3300cfm)
and I have tried 6" and I don't see a big difference between that
a dedicated shop vac hooked directly to the saw.

Those saw by their very nature spew dust back in your face and
I don't think much is going to prevent that.

Kevin wrote:
OK.. I'm looking for an elegant solution to use a 6" DC line to catch 90% of
the dust from my Dewalt 12" miter box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good info...

The 6" should draw a lot more air.. but the problem is making sure that air
has dust in it!

On my DW dual bevel CMS.. it has about a 1" dust port. All around that is
the saw support, pivot, etc. And dust slams into that and bounces all over
the place.

My primary goal would be to get most of the small airborne stuff. The
chips, etc can be swept up later.