Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Coffin Question

I want to build an 'old fashioned" coffin. That is it will be made
from pine boards. It will not be rectangular bit will have angled
sides. The head and foot ends will be narrower that it will be at the
shoulders. I estimate the inside angle where the 2 side boards meet
will be 154 degrees. This is almost a butt joint and I am not sure how
to join these boards at this point.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

trvlnmny wrote:
I want to build an 'old fashioned" coffin. That is it will be made
from pine boards. It will not be rectangular bit will have angled
sides. The head and foot ends will be narrower that it will be at the
shoulders. I estimate the inside angle where the 2 side boards meet
will be 154 degrees. This is almost a butt joint and I am not sure how
to join these boards at this point.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

It's basically the same as any other carcase joint, just opened up a bit
wider. All the usual suspects apply; biscuits, finger joints,
dovetails, miter, etc. These could all be reinforced with a glue block,
and the miter could be reinforced with a spline or multiple keys.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:31:34 -0800 (PST), trvlnmny
wrote:

I want to build an 'old fashioned" coffin. That is it will be made
from pine boards. It will not be rectangular bit will have angled
sides. The head and foot ends will be narrower that it will be at the
shoulders. I estimate the inside angle where the 2 side boards meet
will be 154 degrees. This is almost a butt joint and I am not sure how
to join these boards at this point.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Maybe this book from Rockler?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=coffin

Plans and kits:
http://www.mhp-casketkits.com/casket_plans.php

Other DIY info:
http://www.diylife.com/2007/10/03/bu...ur-own-coffin/

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 5:31 pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I want to build an 'old fashioned" coffin. That is it will be made
from pine boards. It will not be rectangular bit will have angled
sides. The head and foot ends will be narrower that it will be at the
shoulders. I estimate the inside angle where the 2 side boards meet
will be 154 degrees. This is almost a butt joint and I am not sure how
to join these boards at this point.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Butt joints. Joints can be reinforced with straps, inside
or out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

trvlnmny wrote:
I want to build an 'old fashioned" coffin. That is it will be made
from pine boards. It will not be rectangular bit will have angled
sides. The head and foot ends will be narrower that it will be at the
shoulders. I estimate the inside angle where the 2 side boards meet
will be 154 degrees. This is almost a butt joint and I am not sure how
to join these boards at this point.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Lots of good suggestions here. Seems like a coffin built in 1850 would
have had a few nails in it.
just wondering,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
jo4hn wrote:

trvlnmny wrote:
I want to build an 'old fashioned" coffin. That is it will be made
from pine boards. It will not be rectangular bit will have angled
sides. The head and foot ends will be narrower that it will be at the
shoulders. I estimate the inside angle where the 2 side boards meet
will be 154 degrees. This is almost a butt joint and I am not sure how
to join these boards at this point.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Lots of good suggestions here. Seems like a coffin built in 1850 would
have had a few nails in it.
just wondering,
jo4hn

Robetussin... because that will fix a coffin'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

*jo4hn wrote:
trvlnmny wrote:
I want to build an 'old fashioned" coffin. That is it will be made
from pine boards. It will not be rectangular bit will have angled
sides. The head and foot ends will be narrower that it will be at the
shoulders. I estimate the inside angle where the 2 side boards meet
will be 154 degrees. This is almost a butt joint and I am not sure how
to join these boards at this point.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Lots of good suggestions here. *Seems like a coffin built in 1850 would
have had a few nails in it.
* *just wondering,
* *jo4hn

Robetussin... because that will fix a coffin'.

Codeine's better

Last time doc gave me codeine, I didn't have a dump for a week.
Posted to rec.woodworking

no dump for a week? I'd say you were full of ****.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 11, 9:23*am, (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:
no dump for a week? I'd say you were full of ****.
ross

I been told that before, but fortunately for me, I developed the urge
to purge.

A friend of mine up in Oskosh WI, told me all about this little cheese
shop with the best curds on the planet (Her words, not mine) She sent
a bag of them with me for a much on the road.
Coming through Chacago (On a Friday afternoon on a Labourday weekend
(YUP, I'm THAT smart) on my way home, I had some time to kill in one
of many traffic jams, and ate the whole damn bag of curds.

I won't get into too much detail, but the story involves plungers,
corkscrews and crow bars and cracked porcelain.
Those curds made doc's codeine look like a laxative.

Beware of curds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robetussin... because that will fix a coffin'.

Remember,

It's not the cough that carries you off,
It's the coffin they carry you off in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Last time doc gave me codeine, I didn't have a dump for a week.

Waaaay TMI.

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Last time doc gave me codeine, I didn't have a dump for a week.

I remember that week......I couldn't believe a whole week with nary a
postG.....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rod & Betty Jo wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Last time doc gave me codeine, I didn't have a dump for a week.

I remember that week......I couldn't believe a whole week with nary a
postG.....Rod

I remember the end of that week. Pheeeeuuuuuuww. Tons of email.
gurk,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 11, 1:56*pm, "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Last time doc gave me codeine, I didn't have a dump for a week.

I remember that week......I couldn't believe a whole week with nary a
postG.....Rod

That was pretty good. Not nice, but a pretty good one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I remember that week......I couldn't believe a whole week with nary a
postG.....Rod

That was pretty good. Not nice, but a pretty good one.

No malice intended, glad you took it as intended......Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 11, 6:34*pm, "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I remember that week......I couldn't believe a whole week with nary a
postG.....Rod

That was pretty good. Not nice, but a pretty good one.

No malice intended, glad you took it as intended......Rod

Funny is funny. When I do something stupid, I usually laugh the
loudest... and often.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 9:21 pm, jo4hn wrote:
trvlnmny wrote:
I want to build an 'old fashioned" coffin. That is it will be made
from pine boards. It will not be rectangular bit will have angled
sides. The head and foot ends will be narrower that it will be at the
shoulders. I estimate the inside angle where the 2 side boards meet
will be 154 degrees. This is almost a butt joint and I am not sure how
to join these boards at this point.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Lots of good suggestions here. Seems like a coffin built in 1850 would
have had a few nails in it.
just wondering,
jo4hn

Wooden nails, split with a froe.

DIY Coffin Plans Barry Lennox Woodworking 21 June 28th 07 07:12 AM
OT - Make Your Own Coffin J T Woodworking 0 April 12th 07 12:12 AM
COFFIN - OR BOOKCASE J T Woodworking 0 October 22nd 06 06:58 PM
PET COFFIN J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 01:36 AM
Coffin Needs mike Woodworking 43 March 6th 06 02:06 PM