Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default need recommendation

My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L.
None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. Not willing to pay
festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by
personal experience.

tia,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe said:

My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L.
None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. Not willing to pay
festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by
personal experience.

Number of holes isn't particularly important, but I, too, prefer H&L.
I bought a Ryobi on sale a few years ago because I thought I wouldn't
use it much. It died within a month. I repaired it (cheap wire and
poor quality electrical clips on the field winding internally.) I had
to convert to H&L from PSA. Makes your hand go numb pretty quick.

Now a PC 333VS. Other than the custom sized dust hose, it's OK. Had a
sterling reputation, but like all B&D products these days, the new
ones are of Mexican/Chinese origin and seem to be garnering complaints
about bearing and pad failures. The Dewalt looks good on paper and in
the hand, but no personal experience. It is also B&D, so my next
sander may end up being a Makita or Metabo.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I also have a 333VS and like it a lot. I bought the dust hose ($16 IIRC)
and it also fits my PC Plate Joiner and PC circular saw. It reduces the
escaping dust to near zero on the ROS and by about 90% on the CS.

Whichever mfg you choose I recommend getting variable speed as it
makes sanding edges and corners less prone to oversanding.
Art

"Greg G." wrote
[snip]
Now a PC 333VS. Other than the custom sized dust hose, it's OK.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 12:30*pm, "Joe" wrote:
My POS ROS is nearly DOA. * *Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? *Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L.
None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. *Not willing to pay
festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by
personal experience.

tia,

jc

I have a DW, VS, H&L, 5", 8H. Works great even the dust collection in
the little bag and it came with a spare gasket that I guess wears out
eventually. The only complaint is you need to wear a glove in cold
weather because the cooling fan blows out around the sides of the top.

PC is giving them away right now when you buy a bigger tool although
that promotion may be over now. Check the Borgs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...
My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L.
None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. Not willing to pay
festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by
personal experience.

tia,

jc

I have been using a PC right angle ROS since 1989. It has been a great
sander but when it dies it gets replaced by a Festool Rotex.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...
My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L.
None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. Not willing to pay
festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by
personal experience.

tia,

jc

I have been using a PC right angle ROS since 1989. It has been a great
sander but when it dies it gets replaced by a Festool Rotex.

Let me add that Festool IIRC has a 30 day money back guarantee in case you
find that it does not work as expected.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I too have the DeWalt. It's worked well and I would buy it again. I use
it attached to a shop vac and that really makes a difference. I also
have a Ryobi that I used for years but the DW is much better.

D.G. Adams

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 13:42:50 -0800, RayV wrote:

On Jan 7, 12:30Â*pm, "Joe" wrote:
My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Â* Â*Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? Â*Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole,
H&L. None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. Â*Not willing
to pay festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be
persuaded by personal experience.

tia,

jc

I have a DW, VS, H&L, 5", 8H. Works great even the dust collection in
the little bag and it came with a spare gasket that I guess wears out
eventually. The only complaint is you need to wear a glove in cold
weather because the cooling fan blows out around the sides of the top.

PC is giving them away right now when you buy a bigger tool although
that promotion may be over now. Check the Borgs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 3:30*pm, "Joe" wrote:
My POS ROS is nearly DOA. * *Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? *Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L.
None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. *Not willing to pay
festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by
personal experience.

tia,

jc

When I was at Rockler last week I handled several of the Festools they
had on display. To me they did not feel comfortable, the gripping
portion of the tools was too big. The only exception to this
oversizing was the cordless drill but I am to used to the T style of
the DeWalt so didn't like it either. The cases on the other hand were
great especially if you are on the go, the interlocking seems very
sturdy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote:

My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based

on
personal experience?

Bosch 3727.

Beat the crap out of them.

Had 3 stolen, somebody else must like them.

Add a Fein detail sander and your finish sanding is good to go.

SFWIW, based on the detail sander, would buy a Fein ROS.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 12:30 pm, "Joe" wrote:
[...]

Another deWalt here. Been working fine for me. Only complaint is
that the connector for the vacuum hose pops off occasionally.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...
My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L.
None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. Not willing to pay
festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by
personal experience.

tia,

jc

I have a Bosch 3727 DEVS. It has been a good, dependable unit.
This past year I bought 2 ROS from Home Depot; an R2600 and an R2611. I'm
really impressed with both.
I prefer the 2611 to the Bosch. (The 2600 is a palm sander and does an
excellent job also)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:34:33 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Joe" wrote:

My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based

on
personal experience?

Bosch 3727.

Beat the crap out of them.

I've got an older Bosch, don't remember the model number. But I'm happy
with both performance and reliability.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Let me add that Festool IIRC has a 30 day money back guarantee in case you
find that it does not work as expected.

Smart folks!

Bose does the same thing with a $900 pilot's headset. The Bose headset
is the "Festool" of headsets. Twice the price, with fit and features
that will be of varying value to different purchasers.

I've never met anyone who has actually returned either item!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. wrote:

Now a PC 333VS. Other than the custom sized dust hose

This isn't directly related to the 333, but I've found that keeping a
few precut inner tube and denim scraps near the hose can help fit anything.

Make the scraps ~ 2 1/2" x 4", wrap them around the inner part, and plug
it in. The denim scrap adds bulk when needed.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Max" wrote in message
t...

I have a Bosch 3727 DEVS. It has been a good, dependable unit.
This past year I bought 2 ROS from Home Depot; an R2600 and an R2611. I'm
really impressed with both.
I prefer the 2611 to the Bosch. (The 2600 is a palm sander and does an
excellent job also)

Max

Max,

I've been leaning toward that Bosch based on other bosch stuff I own and
perceived value per $$. What exactly do you like about the 2611 over the
3727?

thanks,

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:30:19 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

My POS ROS is nearly DOA. Anyone have any recommendations based on
personal experience? Preferences go along the lines of 5", 8 hole, H&L.
None are set in stone, but that's the paper I have. Not willing to pay
festool or fein prices on reputation alone, but could be persuaded by
personal experience.

tia,

jc

Being cheap and not a heavy flat wood guy, I'm thinking of buying this one:

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/webap...-1_12951_12510

They usually have it on sale for around $55..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Joe" wrote

"Max" wrote

I have a Bosch 3727 DEVS. It has been a good, dependable unit.
This past year I bought 2 ROS from Home Depot; an R2600 and an R2611.
I'm really impressed with both.
I prefer the 2611 to the Bosch. (The 2600 is a palm sander and does an
excellent job also)

Max

Max,

I've been leaning toward that Bosch based on other bosch stuff I own and
perceived value per $$. What exactly do you like about the 2611 over the
3727?

thanks,

Joe

The Rigid seems to be more efficient at picking up dust and it has 2 orbit
patterns, one slightly more aggressive.
Since I have both sanders, I use the Rigid with a 150 grit (for example) and
the more aggressive pattern.
Then I switch to the Bosch and a 220 grit.
*IF* I had only one sander it would be the Rigid because I could accomplish
the same sanding job by using the courser grit and the aggressive pattern
and then switch to the less aggressive pattern and a finer grit. My 2
cents. G
If you have a Home Depot nearby, by all means check the Rigid out. $129. vs
$149 for the Bosch. $20 will buy you some sanding discs. G

Max ( no connection to Home Depot)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I picked up a Ridgid (Home Depot) 2610 6" about 2 years ago. Later I
grapped another on clearance.

The 2610 was made in Germany; likely by Metabo. Google the articles.

The 2611 I think is now made in China, but looks comparable.

I'm very impressed with the dust collection when plugged into my shop vac.
The 2 different orbit settings are handy. It's pretty well balanced, though
the 6" size makes it a bit tedious when working on small parts.

I have a PC 7335 from many years back. A real workhorse, but horrible dust
collection. There is now a h&l pad available and also a dust port. But I
doubt it's as effective as the well designed Ridgid/Metabo.

Recommendation George UK diy 1 April 1st 07 09:59 PM
recommendation or not marc rosen Woodturning 2 February 20th 07 06:04 PM
saw recommendation blue Home Repair 16 October 2nd 04 06:08 PM
Need Recommendation cp Home Repair 2 September 2nd 04 05:04 PM
Hot Air Gun - recommendation? Andrew McKay UK diy 11 July 9th 03 01:39 PM