Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default recommendation or not

Hello again Group,
I have a Delta 1460 that is currently dead in the water. (The motor
fell off- The previous owner mounted the motor on the underside of the
table to run to a second shaft/pulley assembly and he used
insufficient wood screws to secure it. Additionally his etup did not
allow detensioning of the drive belts to change speeds. I was much
more naive when I bought it) (Also, I am taking a few days off from
work and today I plan to remount the motor properly)
Since I've been in repair mode I stumbled across two more lathes that
are for sale. One is a 1993 Delta 46-700 that is claimed to have
little use and by the pictures, it looks to be in great condition.
The other is an older Powermatic (model number not available) from a
very reliable and reputable source. The only downside to the
Powermatic is it needs a 120/230V motor.
I am not looking to replace the 1460 but to have a seconfd lathe that
changes speeds easier. The 46-700 is selling for $275, the PM is
going for $500 (plus the cost of a motor).
I'd be up and running with the Delta right away but there seems to be
too much duplication in machine types and limitations to my future
turning endeavors. On the other hand, the PM will eventually costs
twice as much. (But then, it's only money)
Any comments on a (little) used 1993 46-700? ( I did a google search
and found a lot of comments but no recent ones on this discontnued
model.)
Thanks again for any input.
Marc

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any comments on a (little) used 1993 46-700? ( I did a google search
and found a lot of comments but no recent ones on this discontnued
model.)

Not me. Couple friends have made the purchase and regret it. Noisy!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"marc rosen" wrote in news:1171976547.874396.202400
@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

The other is an older Powermatic (model number not available) from a
very reliable and reputable source. The only downside to the
Powermatic is it needs a 120/230V motor.

The Powermatic 90, when properly equipped, is pretty well thought of, for
an older beast. Google that, and see if what is offered looks like one of
those, and if that would be of use to your shop.

Patriarch,
who surrendered the old arn search, and bought a Jet 1442VS a couple of
years ago.

Undercoat recommendation? dadiOH Home Repair 4 November 30th 05 12:11 PM
Boiler recommendation s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 1 May 27th 05 02:54 PM
Humidifier recommendation? Harry Home Repair 12 October 28th 04 08:35 PM
saw recommendation blue Home Repair 16 October 2nd 04 06:08 PM
Need Recommendation cp Home Repair 2 September 2nd 04 05:04 PM