Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Makita LS1013FL: first impressions

Thought I'd pass this on in case anyone was interested. Just got this
as a refurb from Tyler tool. It was $379 with $7 shipping. I thought
that was a pretty sweet deal. Showed up Friday and it looks brand new,
not a scratch on it. NO setup required, NONE! Perfectly square right
out of the box. The only thing I have to complain about is that the
holders (supports for horizontal stock) were not in the box. I'm
assuming this was a mistake at the factory and hopefully Tyler will
ship them to me at no cost. This thing cuts like butter. Cut through
some 3/4" maple, poplar, pine. Being able to go through a 1x10 is
fantastic. Don't know how I lived without a SCMS this long. The table
on this thing is huge, which is one of the reasons I got it. Love the
action on the miter table, and the positive stops on the bevels are
great. My old CMS had no positive bevel stops. As mentioned by
everyone else, so it's no surprise, I don't really see myself using
the laser, or the lamp, and the dust collection is horrible. All of
which I am perfectly happy with considering the quality and
performance of the tool. The only thing I wish they would have added
was the optional vertical hold down. I'll probably order one this
week.

Next on my list is the Incra 5000. ONce I get that I'll have all my
cross cutting issues resolved.

Thanks for listening.

Chris