Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool's growth

Even our friends at Festool take a breather and come back and do it
right:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...enerations.jpg

The new version is sooo much better balanced. It took a while to get
used to it.

Yup.. it's a drive-by...LOLOLOLOL
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Even our friends at Festool take a breather and come back and do it
right:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...enerations.jpg

The new version is sooo much better balanced. It took a while to get
used to it.

Yup.. it's a drive-by...LOLOLOLOL

Since you admitted to the drive-by....

You suck.

Need a better home for the old one? lol

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Festool is to hand held power tools as Veritas is to hand powered hand
held
power tools. Both start with a blank piece of paper and a list of what
this
tool is supposed to do AND can do. If some of the existing tool's
elements
will do the job they get kept - and refined. If they don't or can be
refined
they get dropped - Tried and True isn't taken as a given.

For the occassional user, Festool's stuff is pricey. But after while
you
realize that all tools cost you - either time or money (and sometimes
admonishment for cussing, swearing, ranting and raving) - they can be
very cost effective.

A grand for what appears to be a very expensive biscuit joiner seems
crazy - 'til you use it. And because of what it can do, and do so
easily
and almost effortlessly, things you wouldn't do because of the time
and effort needed for the joinery - using the tools you already have
- become almost a quick and dirty thing, not a day or two tasks.

Now if Festool would turn their attention to turning . . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 5:59*pm, charlieb wrote:
Festool is to hand held power tools as Veritas is to hand powered hand
held
power tools. *Both start with a blank piece of paper and a list of what
this
tool is supposed to do AND can do. *If some of the existing tool's
elements
will do the job they get kept - and refined. *If they don't or can be
refined
they get dropped - Tried and True isn't taken as a given.

For the occassional user, Festool's stuff is pricey. *But after while
you
realize that all tools cost you - either time or money (and sometimes
admonishment for cussing, swearing, ranting and raving) - they can be
very cost effective.

I totally agree. We've started buying Festools at work and they are
getting a LOT of use and rave reviews by all. The Domino, of course,
but even the sanders - they're chosen over the Dynabrades almost all
the time now.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 5:59*pm, charlieb wrote:

Now if Festool would turn their attention to turning . . .

A hunk of wood spinning in contact with a chisel.
What could Festool contribute?

g,d&r

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 31, 5:59 pm, charlieb wrote:

Now if Festool would turn their attention to turning . . .

A hunk of wood spinning in contact with a chisel.
What could Festool contribute?

g,d&r

An improvement on a chuck?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlieb I have been wanting to ask if you have used your Plate Joiner
lately now that you have the Domino.
I assume you had a plate joiner, I have 2 and wonder if I should sell them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 6:48*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Charlieb I have been wanting to ask if you have used your Plate Joiner
lately now that you have the Domino.
I assume you had a plate joiner, *I have 2 and wonder if I should sell them.

You feel that strongly that with a Domino the biscuit joiners are
obsolete..or 'as' convenient?

I mean, I put two pieces of wood together, make a pencil mark and zip,
zip, two slots, one cookie and clamp. As easy as can be.

I know I will end up with a Domino at some point, as soon as I have a
gig that warrants one, but I always thought it would run parallel to
other methods.

Now, I do have 2 cookie machines as well, a Lamello, still in the box.
A guy I know wants it. That will get me part-way to the Domino. Then
that leaves me with a type-3 557 PC, which I am totally satisfied
with...

Now, if I could find a way to get the spindle on the Bot to work
horizontally, like an M-R, or dig a pit that I can lower a board into
it so I can bore the ends of longer pieces... LOL..the mind wanders
sometimes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

A few areas they could look at a

Dupicating rigs
Dust and chip collection
Pierced turning jigs

And those are just off the top of my head.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:30:40 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

A hunk of wood spinning in contact with a chisel.
What could Festool contribute?

g,d&r

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 31, 6:48 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Charlieb I have been wanting to ask if you have used your Plate Joiner
lately now that you have the Domino.
I assume you had a plate joiner, I have 2 and wonder if I should sell
them.

You feel that strongly that with a Domino the biscuit joiners are
obsolete..or 'as' convenient?

Yeah I have not considered pullin out the plate joiner since getting the
Domino.

I mean, I put two pieces of wood together, make a pencil mark and zip,
zip, two slots, one cookie and clamp. As easy as can be.

You can do the same with the Domino. I literally operates like a plate
joiner.

I know I will end up with a Domino at some point, as soon as I have a
gig that warrants one, but I always thought it would run parallel to
other methods.

Now, I do have 2 cookie machines as well, a Lamello, still in the box.
A guy I know wants it. That will get me part-way to the Domino. Then
that leaves me with a type-3 557 PC, which I am totally satisfied
with...

I think I'd let your buddy buy the Lamello and get the Domino. Works great
and forms a strong joint edge to edge on MDF.

I have the old belt drive PC plate joiner that I bought in 1990 IIRC and got
the 557 Type 1 when they first came out. Works great but there is
absolutely no slop using the Domino unless you want lateral play like
biscuits afford, then you simply set the Domino to cut a wider mortise.

Now, if I could find a way to get the spindle on the Bot to work
horizontally, like an M-R, or dig a pit that I can lower a board into
it so I can bore the ends of longer pieces... LOL..the mind wanders
sometimes.

Yeah. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Now if Festool would turn their attention to turning . . .

A hunk of wood spinning in contact with a chisel.
What could Festool contribute?

Better banjo and tool rests, improving scroll chucks,
better tail stock and tail centers, multi axis chucks,
oval chucks that can easily be counterbalanced, maybe
an adjustable strobe so you can see where you're at
when doing off center turning, improved gouges and
chisels, threading system

Had enough?

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Charlieb I have been wanting to ask if you have used your Plate Joiner
lately now that you have the Domino.
I assume you had a plate joiner, I have 2 and wonder if I should sell them.

Have a Porter Cable and am keeping for possibly using for special
hinges.

Haven't had time to use the DOMINO lately - turned a LOT of Christmas
presents.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

You feel that strongly that with a Domino the biscuit joiners are
obsolete..or 'as' convenient?

Short answer: Yes
Longer answer below

I mean, I put two pieces of wood together, make a pencil mark and zip,
zip, two slots, one cookie and clamp. As easy as can be.

Same thing with the DOMINO - and you can "click in" 3mm of slop on
either
side if you want - or 5mm of slop on either side with a "click".

But here are some significant differences

1. the biscuit cutter blade spins into the wood and can kick the
stock
a little, changing the intended location - and maybe introduce
some
twisting motion that gives you a trapezoidal slot. The DOMINO
plunges
straight in and between the higher rpms, the oscillation left
right and
the 11 facets on the cutting end, there's no left right movement.
Some biscuit cutters have retractable "points" that try and
reduce
the left right movement - but they don't work that well - for me.

2. With biscuit cutters it's up to you to place the cut. With the
DOMINO
you can use the retractable reference pins, or the retractable
pins
on the outriggers accessories, to position the cut relative to a
reference edge or end. And once you have a mortise cut you can
user either its left or right end as the reference for the next
mortise.

3. With a biscuit cutter YOU have to set the distance from your
reference face to the center of the slot - by eye - reading a
scale. With the DOMINO, you can do that OR use the stepped
presets (thing turret on a plunge router for setting the depth
of cut.

4. With a biscuit cutter you can't have two different depths
for a pair of slots. Think table leg to apron joint. To avoid
conflicts with mortises in the leg you can cut them shallower
and cut the apron mortise deeper - AND still keep things
tight. You can't go asymetric with biscuits.

I could keep going but hopefully you get the idea.

That's the challenge the DOMINO faces. It looks like a familiar
tool - and it does what a biscuit cutter does though it does
it very differently. BUT - it does a lot more and does it easier
and quicker. It's a new type of tool looking for problems to
solve - and owners keep coming up with new uses. If you
could get your hands on one and have someone who has used
it show you the basics and explain some of the concepts you'd
put the tool at the top of your To Get List and start squirreling
money away faster.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Charlieb I have been wanting to ask if you have used your Plate Joiner
lately now that you have the Domino.
I assume you had a plate joiner, I have 2 and wonder if I should sell
them.

Have a Porter Cable and am keeping for possibly using for special
hinges.

Haven't had time to use the DOMINO lately - turned a LOT of Christmas
presents.

charlie b

Well there is always that I guess. LOL