Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Vacs and how to quieten one

Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac that
worked well.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:09:19 -0700, "asmurff"
wrote:

Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac that
worked well.

I don't have that vacuum, but on the second question...

There have been some pretty decent discussions about building baffled
quieting boxes. Here some leads:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=shop+vac+noise+reduction&safe=off&qt_ s=Search

I built a basic version a few years back, but ended up abandoning it
in favor of ear shields and a longer hose, due to the lack of
portability. The box did significantly reduce the noise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

asmurff wrote:

: Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac that
: worked well.

Here's a great solution to shop vac noise. Also works well for a
regular vacuum. I'm very happy with it.

http://tiny.cc/9muAi

http://tiny.cc/JTvgf

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in message
Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac that
worked well.

Absolutely, Festool and Fein both build quiet shop vacuums but be prepared
to pay for that quiet. They are pretty darn good vacuum cleaners also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

asmurff wrote:
Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac
that worked well.

There ARE some, but they're expensive for that very reason. I solved my
problem, and storage too, by placing it on the other side of the wall,
in the garage, with a piece of blueboard insulation between it and the
wall, and only feeding the hose to a fitting, then buying a couple more
hoses for extensions. Easier to lug the hoses around than move the
vacuum around anyway.
Attaches to my tools easy that way, too. WEll, all but my bansaw;
it's on the opposite wall so the hose crosses the shop floor; gotta hang
it someday.

HTH

Pop`

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 2:36*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
asmurff wrote:
Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac
that worked well.

There ARE some, but they're expensive for that very reason. *I solved my
problem, and storage too, by placing it on the other side of the wall,
in the garage, with a piece of blueboard insulation between it and the
wall, and only feeding the hose to a fitting, then buying a couple more
hoses for extensions. *Easier to lug the hoses around than move the
vacuum around anyway.
* *Attaches to my tools easy that way, too. *WEll, all but my bansaw;
it's on the opposite wall so the hose crosses the shop floor; gotta hang
it someday.

HTH

Pop`

My old vac was a Craftsman, very noisy. When it died, I got a ShopVac
brand with the built in pump for pumping water out. It's considerably
quitewr than the Crapsman.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 9:09 am, "asmurff" wrote:
Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac that
worked well.

I put my cheapo Maynard's forty dollar shop vac in a carpeted box with
a bunch of one inch holes at the top for ventilation. It got a LOT
quieter. You could, like, hear yourself think when it was turned on.

But people told me it would overheat and die. And they were right. Six
years later, it died.

By then we had two or three vacs around the house and I put the
ShopVac Quiet model in there about a year ago. With THAT one in the
box you can hear the air whistle through the sander. I was leaving the
shop when I heard the air moving through the hose and realized I'd
forgotten to turn it off.

The box is on casters and I bought a long hose. For me, portability
isn't a problem. But like I said, we also have one for the basement
and another small one for just for wet work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac that
worked well.

You can replace the one you have with another quieter model. Expect
to pay 30-40% more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike,

Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

I had a 12 gallon "Quiet" Shop Vac for about three years. It was MUCH
quieter than the average shop vac, at least when I first got it. I mean, it
was still loud, but it didn't have that ear piercing whine of the cheaper
vacs. Unfortunately, the last year or so, the bearings started wearing out
and it died a smokey death when the brushes finally burned out. They don't
sell replacement parts (only the entire power head), so it was time for a
new vac.

I recently bought a Ridgid WD1450 14 gallon vac, based on comments I
received here and other positive reviews. It's a little larger than I
really wanted, but it is fairly quiet, at least as quiet as these things
get. For the price (about $100), you can't go wrong.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

asmurff wrote:
Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac that
worked well.

I don't have the vac either, but what
I've done with my rather noisy vac is to
put it outside. I have a small detached
building that serves as my shop. The vac
sits outside, as centrally located as
needs be, and I've doubled the length of
my hose. The noise from the vac is quite
tolerable. YMMV

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/

Posted to rec.woodworking

asmurff wrote:
Does anyone have a Quiet Deluxe Series Shop Vac and is it considerably
quieter than others you've had?

Also has anyone tried any ways to dampen the sound from your shop vac that
worked well.

Take a look at the Central Vac mufflers. The one on mine cuts the noise
down a fair bit. You may be able to adapt one to your Vac or make your
own.

LdB

central vacs FrankOOOOO Home Repair 18 November 28th 06 10:13 PM
Welding Smoke Vacs Gunner Asch Metalworking 0 October 18th 05 09:04 AM
Kenmore (Sears) BI Vacs Rudy Home Repair 0 August 26th 05 05:14 AM
Car Vacs Bill UK diy 6 May 27th 05 09:51 PM
Ultra Clean central vacs? BRN Home Repair 2 July 25th 03 02:21 AM