Bill

Default Car Vacs

Seen threads about this in years gone by, but can anybody recommend a
Car Vac from the currently available crop that works i.e. sucks up
anything? SWMBO wants me to get one to save us from running the house
vac outside, but not sure as the only one I've ever tried before was
next to useless.

Also, corded or cordless? Argos seem to do a JCB 14.4V cordless job
with lots of attachments and rotating beater for 60 quid. Pricey, but
is it worth it?

Cheers,

Bill.
Chris Bacon

Bill wrote:
Seen threads about this in years gone by, but can anybody recommend a
Car Vac from the currently available crop that works i.e. sucks up
anything? SWMBO wants me to get one to save us from running the house
vac outside, but not sure as the only one I've ever tried before was
next to useless.

The ones I've experienced are useless. I would stay with the "house
vac", possibly buying a long length of hose if taking it outside is
really objected to!
Mark Hewitt

"Bill" wrote in message
Seen threads about this in years gone by, but can anybody recommend a
Car Vac from the currently available crop that works i.e. sucks up
anything? SWMBO wants me to get one to save us from running the house
vac outside, but not sure as the only one I've ever tried before was
next to useless.

Also, corded or cordless? Argos seem to do a JCB 14.4V cordless job
with lots of attachments and rotating beater for 60 quid. Pricey, but
is it worth it?

Nah. I gave up. And bought a light cylinder cleaner with a long cord. Was
about 50 quid.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Fri, 27 May 2005 13:49:44 +0100, Bill wrote:

Seen threads about this in years gone by, but can anybody recommend a
Car Vac from the currently available crop that works i.e. sucks up
anything? SWMBO wants me to get one to save us from running the house
vac outside, but not sure as the only one I've ever tried before was
next to useless.

Bought a small hand held mains vac from Aldi for £8. Does the trick.

A similar vac can be seen he

http://www.jmldirect.com/photographs/animated/511.gif

sponix

Bill wrote:
Seen threads about this in years gone by, but can anybody recommend a
Car Vac from the currently available crop that works i.e. sucks up
anything? SWMBO wants me to get one to save us from running the house
vac outside, but not sure as the only one I've ever tried before was
next to useless.

Also, corded or cordless? Argos seem to do a JCB 14.4V cordless job
with lots of attachments and rotating beater for 60 quid. Pricey, but
is it worth it?

Cheers,

Bill.

To get adequate suction you need hundreds of watts. 500w is ok, 300w is
poor but can be got usable with sufficiently good dsign (ie =A3). 500w @
12v =3D 41A, and you wont get that thru your car connector. Thus all 12v
vacs are crap. 10-20w can probably suck up loose feathers.

NT

Rusty

"Bill" wrote in message
Seen threads about this in years gone by, but can anybody recommend a
Car Vac from the currently available crop that works i.e. sucks up
anything? SWMBO wants me to get one to save us from running the house
vac outside, but not sure as the only one I've ever tried before was
next to useless.

Also, corded or cordless? Argos seem to do a JCB 14.4V cordless job

Cheap cordless eg B&D are pretty useless, flat in 5 mins and blow fine dust
all over the place as the filter is very open weave. Only suitable for very
light cleaning and getting crumbs/hairs out of the handbrake and carpets for
which they are better than nothing.

Rusty

Avanti

"Bill" wrote in message
Seen threads about this in years gone by, but can anybody recommend a
Car Vac from the currently available crop that works i.e. sucks up
anything?

I was in a similar scenario, To be honest you won't totally get away from a
mains power vac to thoroughly clean the car, I drag out my Dyson every now
and then , the good news is that I also use a RAC 12v thing that came with a
pressure washer , I was most impressed with it (the 12v vac) .
They are handy for keeping on top of cleaning and you can leave it in the
car but every now and then you will need to get the mains one out.