Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Decent cordless circular saw

I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jesse" wrote in message
I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

I can only recommend one with the latest Lithium-Ion battery as they last
longer per charge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jesse took a can of maroon spray paint on December 15, 2007 06:01 pm and
wrote the following:

I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

What does he need a cordless for, a good corded is way better, unless he is
far away from an electrical source stay with the cord. For most job sites
especially if it is at home, it makes sense to put up a temporary saw area,
with electricity.

My last major project was using a corded circular saw, corded jig saw, and a
corded miter saw, in addition to the compressor and nail gun, the only
cordless was a drill/driver.

--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

What does he need a cordless for, a good corded is way better, unless he is
far away from an electrical source stay with the cord. For most job sites
especially if it is at home, it makes sense to put up a temporary saw area,
with electricity.

My last major project was using a corded circular saw, corded jig saw, and a
corded miter saw, in addition to the compressor and nail gun, the only
cordless was a drill/driver.

You have to stick with me on the cordless part, they have a cabin
without power that needs occational renovation. I could pick from
several different brands, Makita, Hitachi or Delta but so far I've
only found them in sets with drill, flashlight, etc, all things he
does not need. Thanks. Jesse
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jesse took a can of maroon spray paint on December 15, 2007 06:33 pm and

wrote the following:

[...]

Ok, then sorry no major experience with them then, good luck.
--
Lits Slut #9

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jesse said:

I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..

You have to stick with me on the cordless part, they have a cabin
without power that needs occational renovation. I could pick from
several different brands, Makita, Hitachi or Delta but so far I've
only found them in sets with drill, flashlight, etc, all things he
does not need.

Another handy use is in ripping up large sheets of plywood in order to
get them into smallish shops/garages for further processing. Also in
cutting roof sheathing in situ. It's a hassle to mess with a cord and
7.25" saw when a small, portable unit makes such quick work of it.
Finding a good one minus the crap is problematic. If he is going to be
using it regularly, avoid the red plastic "homeowner grade" stuff.
Bite the bullet and pay once for a tool which will last decades,
instead of one which ends up in a landfill within months.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jesse" wrote:

I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son.

I have a small (5-3/8"), 18 VDC, DeWalt panel saw that was part of a
drill/saw combo kit.

(That size saw has been replaced with a larger unit.)

I have beat the devil out of both tools.

After 10 years, they don't owe me anything.

The panel saw, while small, has still managed to cut 2x stock. Just don't
expect it to keep up with a Skil 77, corded unit.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jesse,

I have a 18.4 DeWalt, that came with a kit. I like it and use it a lot
break down plywood, cut the occasional 2x4, etc. It's batteries are
sort of going (I have 3) after 8 years. I'd look at either the Ryobi
or any "semi-pro"
brand (DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, etc.) Avoid, Craftsman.

have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

MJ Wallace
Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree with Lew, I have the 18v Dewalt that comes with the kit and it has
sawe of barn rafters and you name it. Don't push the saw, let it eat it's
way thru. Also use a blade designed for cordless saws (i.e thin kerf). I
think the cordless circular saws eat up batteries faster than the other
tools in the kit. Also hold the line, don't go halfway thru the board and
say aw- gee I am off the mark, and then try to correct it. you will waste
the battery right there. Back up and saw again.
Good Luck Lyndell

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Jesse" wrote:

I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son.

I have a small (5-3/8"), 18 VDC, DeWalt panel saw that was part of a
drill/saw combo kit.

(That size saw has been replaced with a larger unit.)

I have beat the devil out of both tools.

After 10 years, they don't owe me anything.

The panel saw, while small, has still managed to cut 2x stock. Just don't
expect it to keep up with a Skil 77, corded unit.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

You have to stick with me on the cordless part, they have a cabin
without power that needs occational renovation. I could pick from
several different brands, Makita, Hitachi or Delta but so far I've
only found them in sets with drill, flashlight, etc, all things he
does not need. Thanks. Jesse

And maybe a fast mobile charger that works from the car battery - or a
solar panel and controller - to recharge the batteries?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

[...]

The best cordless saw won't be much better than the cheap Sears
5" battery saw I occasionally use at work -- which WILL cut through
several 2x6s before needing a battery swap. He'd be better off
keeping his present saw and buying a generator.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a 18.8V Ryobi trim saw that is first grab for me when I need one
or two cuts. Too much trouble to get the PC saw out of the case when I
just need one or two cuts.

I just used mine tonite to make 8 cuts on 5/4 x 7 hard maple. It worked
fine.

wrote the following:

I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

What does he need a cordless for, a good corded is way better, unless he is
far away from an electrical source stay with the cord. For most job sites
especially if it is at home, it makes sense to put up a temporary saw area,
with electricity.

My last major project was using a corded circular saw, corded jig saw, and a
corded miter saw, in addition to the compressor and nail gun, the only
cordless was a drill/driver.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jesse wrote:

: You have to stick with me on the cordless part, they have a cabin
: without power that needs occational renovation.

Thinking outside the box - get him a DC to AC inverter. Then he can
use gasoline (and his car engine) to run corded tools and recharge the
batteries for his cordless tools. It could come in handy in many
situations. Lots of useful things don't come in a cordless option.

Unless he's hoofing it to his cabin with a back-pack (or mule-pack)
full of cordless tools and charged up batteries.

Just a thought,

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jesse wrote:

I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

I'm a professional carpenter, and I have and use a Milwaukee
V28 cordless 6 1/2" circular saw regularly. It's lithium powered, has a
charge meter built into the battery, and for a cordless tool, is a real
workhorse. No cordless saw is a replacement for a corded saw, but a high
end tool like the V28 will crosscut ten or twelve 2x6's, and then rip a few
10' 2x4's before the battery winds down. Be warned, they ain't cheap. The
saw and two batteries, with a case, runs about $350.00 right now.

I'd usually advise a non-pro to stick with a corded saw, but in your case,
it sounds like a legitimate justification for a good cordless. I have less
experience with Makita, but I've always found them to be good tools. Dewalt
varies from tool to tool, but they're usually OK. I'd definitely recommend
getting something with lithium batteries, though. They're about twice the
power for their weight as ni-cads, and they can be "topped off" at any time
with no penalty. They also last much longer.

Good luck!

Luke

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You have to stick with me on the cordless part, they have a cabin

without power that needs occational renovation. I could pick from
several different brands, Makita, Hitachi or Delta but so far I've
only found them in sets with drill, flashlight, etc, all things he
does not need. Thanks. Jesse

I am not convinced any of the cordless circular saws are that great. If he
needs power were none is available maybe a 2500-4000 watt generator would
get some use. Cordless saws eat batteries pretty fast too. If no power is
available where will he charge the batteries once they are dead??
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

[...]

I imagine he would have that covered, I'm thinking an inverter off the
vehicle battery. Jesse
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a Ryobi that replaced an ailing Craftsman. I actually prefered the
Craftsman. For BORG-tools, I'd look at Ridgid. I don't have any of their
cordless stuff, but they felt better than the Ryobi line last time I went
tool fondling.

-MJ

wrote in message
Jesse,

I have a 18.4 DeWalt, that came with a kit. I like it and use it a lot
break down plywood, cut the occasional 2x4, etc. It's batteries are
sort of going (I have 3) after 8 years. I'd look at either the Ryobi
or any "semi-pro"
brand (DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, etc.) Avoid, Craftsman.

have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Oh ye of so little imagination. First you put down the ever
reliable handsaw, and then all you can come up with are wimy cordless
circular saws. If you're only open to cordless circular saws, then
here's my choice, in order of preference:
http://www.oldengine.org/shows/nta97/jun29_26.jpg
http://bp3.blogger.com/_Xp9E1tSbHek/...0/000_1113.JPG
http://www.hybridsaw.com/cordless_saw.htm

My first choice would still be a decent handsaw, you could just
leave it there, hanging on a nail, and you'd never have to worry about
bringing spar batteries along, or how to recharge 'em. You can rip a
2X4 with one, or sheetgoods, just takes a bit longer.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jesse" wrote in message
You have to stick with me on the cordless part, they have a cabin
without power that needs occational renovation. I could pick from
several different brands, Makita, Hitachi or Delta but so far I've
only found them in sets with drill, flashlight, etc, all things he
does not need. Thanks. Jesse

For the price of a good battery saw you can get him maybe twenty 100 foot
extension cords. How far to power?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:33:17 GMT, Jesse wrote:

You have to stick with me on the cordless part, they have a cabin
without power that needs occational renovation. I could pick from
several different brands, Makita, Hitachi or Delta but so far I've
only found them in sets with drill, flashlight, etc, all things he
does not need. Thanks. Jesse

I have a Makita 3 3/8" and and DeWalt 6 1/2".

The key to these things is a really good blade, and to immediately
throw away the stock version. I use the Makita to rough out sheet
goods in my trailer, making them easier to handle on the table saw.

With the brand-new stock blade, the Makita was barely able to cut ~ 8
ft. of 3/4" baltic birch ply per battery. In fact, I burned my first
Makita out with a stock blade, as I didn't let it cool between cuts.

The same saw and battery is able to cut over 40 ft. of the same
material with a $20 carbide blade installed, with no serious motor
heating.

The difference was beyond belief!

I saw similar improvements on my DeWalt, cutting tubas.

The blades I have are Matsu****a:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/ab/matsu****a/matsu****a.htm?L+coastest+lptv4969ffeb04eb+1197900 558

There are lots of similar blades selling for similar prices that will
probably work just as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Am I the ONLY one in this thread to try a good aftermarket blade? G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I can only recommend one with the latest Lithium-Ion battery as they last
longer per charge.

Bingo ... the battery is the achilles heel.

My DeWalt cordless works great for a short time, but any eventually
weakening of the battery capacity through use, even though fully charged,
will have you reaching for a hand saw long before you can say "jack
robinson".

A very limited use item and impractical as hell in an environment where no
power is available ... charging on a car battery would have you back to the
hand saw, as above.

BTDT

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 15, 6:01 pm, Jesse wrote:
I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my

I bought the Sears 19.2 Volt set that included the Mini-Skill saw,
reciprocating saw, sander and two-speed drill, light, three batteries
and a charger.

They have a whole line of tools that "take" the battery (I tink its
marketed as the C-3 series).

That little saw is a gem. Not the best for ripping a "two-by," but it
will cut a 2 x 6 when called upon.

I do revert to my hypoid-gear skill saw for ripping along a 2 x 6 or a
plywood panel as the little saws' blades are thin and like to wander.
You need to go slow and pay attention when riping.

I wouldn't buy any of them to serve as the sole saw for constructing a
room with 2 x 6 framing, but they are great for occasional use and for
trimming an end while on a ladder cutting from underneath!

THe three batteries help with the power concerns as you can keep
cycling them through the charger and tools such that you are seldom,
if ever, waiting for one to charge.

The kit can be had for less than $200 - watch the clearance shelf - I
got my set three years ago (when it first came out) for $180.

I recently built a barn and use the drills (I also have a 14.4 volt
(the charger works for the 14.4 and 19.2 VDC Batteries) ) and recipro
saw and mini skill saw to do all save some heavy ripping and birds
mouth cuts for which I used the Hypoid. Barn is up with no complaints.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" they have a cabin without power that needs occasional renovation.
"

In that case, get them a generator. You will be killing a flock of
birds with one present.

The mini saws will kill the battery faster if the work load increases.
The batteries will lose some charge while sitting.And going back home
to recharge them is a real drag.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 9:33 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

For the price of a good battery saw you can get him maybe twenty 100 foot
extension cords. How far to power?

Where are you buying your cords? Or are you talking about 16/2 cords?

I use a 20AMP rated10/2 and twenty of those would really sent you back
some!

A generator is far cheaper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Dec 16, 9:33 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

For the price of a good battery saw you can get him maybe twenty
100
foot extension cords. How far to power?

Where are you buying your cords? Or are you talking about 16/2
cords?

I use a 20AMP rated10/2 and twenty of those would really sent you
back
some!

A generator is far cheaper

And good luck getting any power out of a tool running over a half a
mile of extension cord.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:13:49 -0800 (PST), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

" they have a cabin without power that needs occasional renovation.
"

In that case, get them a generator. You will be killing a flock of
birds with one present.

The mini saws will kill the battery faster if the work load increases.
The batteries will lose some charge while sitting.And going back home
to recharge them is a real drag.

I really appreciate all the efforts to inform me on the best choice.
At least now I have no idea on what I am to do. Jesse
Posted to rec.woodworking

I bookmarked the webpage you gave. Looked like good prices on those blades.
Thanks Lyndell

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message

Am I the ONLY one in this thread to try a good aftermarket blade? G

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

" they have a cabin without power that needs occasional
renovation.
"

In that case, get them a generator. You will be killing a flock of
birds with one present.

The mini saws will kill the battery faster if the work load
increases. The batteries will lose some charge while sitting.And
going back home to recharge them is a real drag.

I really appreciate all the efforts to inform me on the best choice.
At least now I have no idea on what I am to do. Jesse

Why not ask him what he wants to do?

But when you run the numbers, an 18v cordless saw runs 200 bucks
minimum, including the charger and a battery. Lithium ion is going to
cost you 350 or so. Add another hundred bucks for a spare 18v battery
or 150 for lithium ion and you're talking 300-500 bucks. Then you
need either more batteries or an inverter to run the charger from the
car electrical system--that's another hundred bucks or so, so you're
at 400-600 bucks. A 3 KW generator can be had for under 300 bucks and
it can be used for a lot of things other than sawing.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:54:38 -0500, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

I bookmarked the webpage you gave. Looked like good prices on those blades.
Thanks Lyndell

I hope they help you as well as they've helped me.

When I toasted my 1st Makita, Wayne, an employee of the link I posted,
led me over to the blades, and mentioned that pretty much everyone had
switched.

The stock blade on the DeWalt 18v 6 1/2" saw is better than the 3 3/8"
Makita, but still pretty weak.

I remember the first time I used a well sharpened and tuned hand saw,
and was shocked at how much better a sawyer I was, and how effortless
the saw cut. I'm sure it works the same for any power tool. Also,
it always seems that every time a manufacturer wants to save a buck on
a power saw, they cheap out on the included blade.

Still, none of these tools will replace a corded version in steady
use, but what an improvement!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

OK now I've decided, I'll cut the check and leave that following
decision to them. The cordless may become a snow machine but I'm OK
with that. Thanks for all the input. Jesse

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a Ryobi and do recommend it as long as you let it do the work. Also
Ryobi is one of the few cordless markers who sell all their tools
separately.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Jesse" wrote in message
I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

[...]

does not need. Thanks. Jesse- Hide quoted text -

Does he already have a cordless drill? If so, and it's 18V, you might
be able to find the matching saw as a tool-only purchase on-line.
That's how I bought my Dewalt circular saw, and that's how I'm getting
the reciprocating saw that my wife is going to buy me for Christmas.

When you Google the brand you are looking for, include the words "tool
only" and see what you get.

If he doesn't have a 18V drill, then perhaps he really does need a
decent kit - drill, saw, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Allen Roy" wrote in message

"Jesse" wrote in message
I am wanting a recomendation on selecting a decent circular saw for my
son. He has a good corded unit but thinks a cordless would work well
for him. It should be capable of crosscutting a treated 2x6 without
killing the battery. It should also not kill my wallet. Does anyone
have exerience with a best unit per dollar? Thanks for your advice..
Jesse

I have the Milwaukee V18 CS. It is the first saw I grab when I need to
make a couple of cuts. I agree with Barry though the stock blade is good
for nothing and a good aftermarket improves the saw at least 2 fold. Also
Milwaukee has in their regular 18volt line a car charger. I never have
needed one but it is nice to know that I could get one if it should arise.
The stand alone saw with 2 batteries and charger is about $300 for the
regular batteries or around $400 for the V18 Lithium.

Allen

I like the Ridgid 18V from Home Depot. It's sturdy, affordable, seems well
made, cuts well and seems to hold a charge for a very long time, plus the
batteries as well as the tool has a life-time guarantee. If (when) the
batteries fail Ridgid replaces them under the guarantee. Since it's always
the battery replacement that is the expensive item, this was a great plus
for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

JimR wrote:
"Allen Roy" wrote in message

"Jesse" wrote in message
[...]

I did not know that about Ridgid batteries. That's a huge selling
point.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

I did not know that about Ridgid batteries. That's a huge selling
point.

The lifetime battery deal really is a good deal. The tools are pretty good
tools too. Just be aware that the batteries are lifetime warrantee covered
by Rigid themselves, and you can't just walk into a Home Depot store and
swap out the batteries. Not such a big thing, but it's the kind of thing
that would **** you off if you expected you could get the warranty exchange
at the Home Depot, only to discover you can't.

--

-Mike-