DN B

Default I need a decent cordless home phone (2.4 or 5.8 ghz ????)

Would like a decent cordless phone for the home. What has worked well
for you. And, whats the advantages on this gigahertz thing ? Thanks.

Art

Check COnsumer Reports for ratings. Be aware that if you want the calls to
be secure so no one can hear them you must buy a digital spread spectrum
phone and by doing so you sacrifice a bit of clarity but to me it is worth
it.

"DN B" wrote in message
Would like a decent cordless phone for the home. What has worked well
for you. And, whats the advantages on this gigahertz thing ? Thanks.

Jim M

"DN B" wrote in message
Would like a decent cordless phone for the home. What has worked well
for you. And, whats the advantages on this gigahertz thing ? Thanks.

I am just speaking from MY experience We have a Panasonic 850Mhtz
cordless phone. It works Fantastic. It has a lot of range. I can use it
outside while I am gardening in the back yard. The bad thing about it is it
goes completely garbled when the wife fires up the microwave. I am told that
a microwave oven and these phones share the same-or close to -Frequency.
Radio wave pollution I am told to call it.... hope that helps....JIm

Joseph Meehan

DN B wrote:
Would like a decent cordless phone for the home. What has worked well
for you. And, whats the advantages on this gigahertz thing ?
Thanks.

Don't worry about 2.4 or 5.8 unless you have a wireless computer
network. The 5.8 will not interfere with the wireless networks the 2.4 may.
I bought a 5.8. I chose Panasonic, but there are a lot of good ones these
days. As someone suggested you can check Consumers Reports (see you
library) but I don't recall a recent review so they may be a little out of
date.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dr Halonfire$

DN B wrote:
Would like a decent cordless phone for the home. What has worked
well for you. And, whats the advantages on this gigahertz thing ?
Thanks.

Just get something analogue and cheap so that we can record your phone calls
from the road and make.wav files with them to play on the internet.

(I once recorded an ex-girlfriend's phonecall on 236Khz AM over an analogue
cordless. : Tee hee revenge *is* a dish best served cold LOL!)

--
My part-time website is at http://5110.sytes.net
The full-time one is at http://www.geocities.com/spmf38 , but there's

DN B

'I am just speaking from MY experience We have a Panasonic 850Mhtz
cordless phone. It works Fantastic. It has a lot of range. I can use it
outside while I am gardening in the back yard. The bad thing about it is
it goes completely garbled when the wife fires up the microwave. I am
told that a microwave oven and these phones share the same-or close to
-Frequency. Radio wave pollution I am told to call it.... hope that
helps....JIm'

Thanks Jim. ANd you too Art.

DN B

'Don't worry about 2.4 or 5.8 unless you have a wireless computer
network. The 5.8 will not interfere with the wireless networks the 2.4
may. I bought a 5.8. I chose Panasonic, but there are a lot of good ones
these days. As someone suggested you can check Consumers Reports (see
you library) but I don't recall a recent review so they may be a little
out of date.
--
Joseph Meehan '

Thanks Joe. i think ill go Panasonic.

John McGaw

Joseph Meehan wrote:
DN B wrote:

Would like a decent cordless phone for the home. What has worked well
for you. And, whats the advantages on this gigahertz thing ?
Thanks.

Don't worry about 2.4 or 5.8 unless you have a wireless computer
network. The 5.8 will not interfere with the wireless networks the 2.4 may.
I bought a 5.8. I chose Panasonic, but there are a lot of good ones these
days. As someone suggested you can check Consumers Reports (see you
library) but I don't recall a recent review so they may be a little out of
date.

You might want to modify that a bit since one of the standard variations
of 802.11, the "a" version indeed uses the 5gHz band that the phones
use. Fortunately, since wireless became popular almost all home users
opted for the cheaper "b" (and then "g") flavours which are more likely
to bother 2gHz phones based on their greater numbers.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

My Panasonic lasted 8 years, a couple of drops in the toilet bowl and
lots of harsh use and it just kept on going. Need to renew the
batteries every 2-3 years but they are in Radio Shack easily enough.
Dean

Roger Taylor

"DN B" wrote in message
Would like a decent cordless phone for the home. What has worked well
for you. And, whats the advantages on this gigahertz thing ? Thanks.

I've always had good luck with panasonic and ge and at&t. Crappy luck with
Uniden, Sony. I like the Panasonics best. Have a corded one, for blackouts,
and a new cordless with 16min digital memory for answering. very nice set.

Brynk

I just picked up a 2.4Gig Uniden at Wal-Mart's for my barn, for $15

Couldn't believe how cheap they have gotten

--
Barry