Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Questions & Opinions on older Craftsman Table Saw

I've had a 10 inch Craftsman Table Saw for about 25 years which I bought
used and without an owner's manual. The saw has been used mostly for rough
cuttings, nothing really exact. What I know, I've learned from my many
mistakes. The rip fence is not great, so I have to sort of coax it
parallel with the blade. I raise the blade to max height, take measurements,
the distances, at the front and back of the blade to the fence. I try to get
these measurement exact by moving the front or back of the fence. I have
never made any adjustments to see if the blade is truly parallel with the
guides in the cast iron table top. I don't know if there is an adjustment.
The label on the motor is 1 hp/ 14 amps. The saw model # is 113299040
Manufacture # 1 77 .

Questions:

1. Can this saw be used in hobby work working, or will I just get
frustrated with the results? Assume I try to build some book cases and
cabinets and then move on to other projects.

2. Would it make sense to spend $300+ on a good fence for this saw ?
Example a Biesemeyer Type if it would fit.

3. Is it possible to get an Owner Manual for this saw?

4. I was looking recently at a new 10" General 2 hp , 115 volt Table Saw as
a possible replacement. Thoughts?

Thanks for opinions and advise.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have a 40-ish year old Craftsman Model 100 myself. I've put a 2HP motor
on it, installed an Align-A-Rip fence on it (great cost effective
alternative to high end pricey fence systems), and I did a complete
alignment on the saw. It is more than satisfying for hobby woodworking.
I've built kitchen cabinets, vanities, bathroom cabinets, etc. with this
saw, and never had to perform unnatural acts to do so. It cuts accurate and
true every time. I never measure with a tape from the fence to the blade
anymore. I just rely on the calibration on the fence. Sure - it's not a
really nice cabinet saw, but it has not failed me yet. I've shoved 8/4
hardwoods through it, and never thought twice about doing so.

I built table extensions to match the size of my fence system and installed
my router in one of the extension wings. I like that configuration a lot.
Lets me use the fence for the router as well as the saw.

2. Would it make sense to spend $300+ on a good fence for this saw ?
Example a Biesemeyer Type if it would fit.

If you've got the money for that, then you'd be satisfied. I paid closer to
$150 for my Align-A-Rip from Sears.

3. Is it possible to get an Owner Manual for this saw?

Do a google for old machines. There is an old machines web site that has
manuals for a lot of this old stuff.

4. I was looking recently at a new 10" General 2 hp , 115 volt Table Saw
as a possible replacement. Thoughts?

Probably not going to be a lot more saw than what you have. Yours is
probably a cast iron table - is the new one? Have you priced or tried to
find a bigger motor for your saw? That's one of the easy upgrades to throw
at it and make it a much better performer than it is now. And... align it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
. ..
I've had a 10 inch Craftsman Table Saw for about 25 years which I bought
used and without an owner's manual. The saw has been used mostly for
rough cuttings, nothing really exact. What I know, I've learned from my
many mistakes. The rip fence is not great, so I have to sort of coax
it parallel with the blade. I raise the blade to max height, take
measurements, the distances, at the front and back of the blade to the
fence. I try to get these measurement exact by moving the front or back of
the fence. I have never made any adjustments to see if the blade is truly
parallel with the guides in the cast iron table top. I don't know if
there is an adjustment. The label on the motor is 1 hp/ 14 amps. The saw
model # is 113299040 Manufacture # 1 77 .

I've got the same saw, courtesy of my FIL (who hadn't even unpacked it)
about 15 years ago.

Questions:

1. Can this saw be used in hobby work working, or will I just get
frustrated with the results? Assume I try to build some book cases and
cabinets and then move on to other projects.

With a careful tuneup I find it to be acceptable. Woodworking is purely a
hobby for me also.

It's left-tilt, which is nice; the trunions are solid. If you get into
tuning it up, check the runout on the arbor. Mine's a bit high. The
stamped steel extensions (mine has two) are pretty shabby out of the box,
but you can shim them level with the table top and add supports from the
base to the left wing to firm it up and they're OK.

Now, if I had the budget and the space (12x16 utility shed shop) I'd be
looking at a new saw.

2. Would it make sense to spend $300+ on a good fence for this saw ?
Example a Biesemeyer Type if it would fit.

The original fence does suck. I'm just living with it. If you get the
blade aligned properly to the slots in the table, it does OK. Don't trust
the ruler though, especially if you use a thin-kerf blade.

3. Is it possible to get an Owner Manual for this saw?

Yes. I misplaced my original and ordered a copy from craftsman.com; look
under Parts & Accessories. As I recall it was under $10.

4. I was looking recently at a new 10" General 2 hp , 115 volt Table Saw
as a possible replacement. Thoughts?

Thanks for opinions and advise.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:41:28 -0500, "John"
wrote:

I've had a 10 inch Craftsman Table Saw ...

[snippage]

The rip fence is not great, so I have to sort of coax it
parallel with the blade. I raise the blade to max height, take measurements,
the distances, at the front and back of the blade to the fence. I try to get
these measurement exact by moving the front or back of the fence.

You shouldn't have to work that hard at it. See next:

I have never made any adjustments to see if the blade is truly parallel
with the guides in the cast iron table top.

You really need to at least measure to see how parallel it is. For one
thing, that affects how square your miter gauge (or cutoff sled) is to
the saw blade. All sorts of bad things can happen if you don't have
the miter slots parallel to the blade.

Once you have that done, then squaring the rip fence is a simple
matter of measuring from the miter slot to the fence, both front and
back (and more precise due to the longer measurement arm). When the
measurements are equal, your fence is parallel to the blade.

I don't know if there is an adjustment.

Not an adjustment per se, but it can and should be adjusted. The
procedure is to loosen the four bolts underneath the table from which
the trunnion assembly hangs. Unless your model has changed, there are
star washers between the bolt heads and the table. Loosen only enough
to be able to move the table with a rap with a mallet. There still
should be some friction which keeps the process from resembling ice
skating.

Measure from one tooth of the saw blade (mark it with a Sharpie or
something) to the miter slot. Rotate the blade (you're doing this with
the saw unplugged, right?) so the tooth is at the other extreme of
rotation (but above the table) and measure to the miter slot. If
necessary, give the table a light rap with the mallet, remasure, both
front and rear, and repeat as necessary until the measurements are
identical.

Snug up a couple of the bolts and repeat the measuring. When all is
perfect, snug up all of the bolts. The ones at the front can be tough
to reach. I found I needed a couple of extensions on my ratchet, and a
flex socket (or universal extension) doesn't hurt, either.

Questions:

1. Can this saw be used in hobby work working, or will I just get
frustrated with the results? Assume I try to build some book cases and
cabinets and then move on to other projects.

What Mike Marlow said, generally.

I have an article on my website (sig below) that discusses making a
silk purse out of a sow's ear. There's a whole list of things to
consider doing to improve the saw's utility.

I had my model 100 (same as his) for several years until I got my
Unisaw, and I was able to accomplish some decent work with it. The
sewing cabinet project on my website was done with the Sears.

2. Would it make sense to spend $300+ on a good fence for this saw ?
Example a Biesemeyer Type if it would fit.

I bought a Sears XR2424 (I think) fence when it was offered as an
aftermarket fence shortly after they introduced it. It was around
$150. That price was worth it for the improvement it netted. I don't
know that $300 would be. Incidentally, the "2424" refers to how they
had it configured for left and right of the blade. After a few months
I realized it would be much more useful set up as a 1236 (or
thereabouts) which I then did.

Also look at the Ridgid saw sold at Home Depot. If their fence is
available separately, it's the same one and would bolt on just fine
(perhaps after drilling some holes--cast iron is easy).

3. Is it possible to get an Owner Manual for this saw?

I sent a PDF of a similar manual on the back channel.

4. I was looking recently at a new 10" General 2 hp , 115 volt Table Saw as
a possible replacement. Thoughts?

General or General International? The first is Canadian built, the
second is Chiwanese built, although distributed by the Canadian
company. It'll be hard to find any American built saw anymore,
particularly in the contractors style. Take a look at the Steel City
line, too, which although still Chiwanese built, the company was put
together by former Delta people.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to all the responders to my request. I'm a bit overwhelmed at all
the information you 'll sent and how fast it was sent.

John

"JeffB" wrote in message
The Craftsman table saws of this period are reasonable sturdy contractor
style saws. The attachments - fence, miter gauge, steel extension wings -
are flimsy and should be replaced. When properly aligned, and with a good
blade, the saw is quite capable of fine woodworking.

I built the T-square style fence on mine for about $100 -
http://home.san.rr.com/jeffnann/Wood...Shop/Shop.html.
Several aftermarket fences are readily available.

The manual can be purchased from Sears for $7.50 or downloaded from
http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Craftsman/113.29940.pdf
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

John wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
snip

Also look at the Ridgid saw sold at Home Depot. If their fence is
available separately, it's the same one and would bolt on just fine
(perhaps after drilling some holes--cast iron is easy).

How well does that fence work? None of the Home Despots in the area
have one set up to look at.

snip

Take a look at the Steel City
line, too, which although still Chiwanese built, the company was put
together by former Delta people.

A couple of models of which are also sold by Sears as Craftsman.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JeffB" wrote in message
The Craftsman table saws of this period are reasonable sturdy contractor
style saws. The attachments - fence, miter gauge, steel extension wings -
are flimsy and should be replaced. When properly aligned, and with a good
blade, the saw is quite capable of fine woodworking.

I built the T-square style fence on mine for about $100 -
http://home.san.rr.com/jeffnann/Wood...Shop/Shop.html.
Several aftermarket fences are readily available.

You hadda do that didn't ya Jeff? Every time I see the pictures of that
fence you built I drool. One of these days I'm going to build one just like
it for my son's saw. That is really nice work.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:38:32 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

LRod wrote:
snip

Also look at the Ridgid saw sold at Home Depot. If their fence is
available separately, it's the same one and would bolt on just fine
(perhaps after drilling some holes--cast iron is easy).

How well does that fence work? None of the Home Despots in the area
have one set up to look at.

I was happy with it. It was certainly a quantum improvement over the
1960's fence the -100 had. Of course, now that I have a Unisaw with a
Biesemeyer, I can safely say it's no Biesemeyer. However, it did
credible work. I think the only thing I would watch for is detritus
getting in the "track" on the front rail.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JeffB" wrote in message

Thanks again Mike - you know you're not going to rest easy until you just
build one. What are you waiting for???

Now I'm just waiting to finish up a couple of small painting projects in the
garage and one small project in the basement, and then dambit(!) we're
going to start this fence project for real. I mean it. For real. Just as
soon as I knock off these few small projects...

As my excuse - I just couldn't resist answering the OP's questions... they
pretty much had my name on them!

Yeah, it did. I'd have pretty much been forced to post your pics if you
hadn't.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 16:40:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, December 14, 2007 8:41:28 AM UTC-8, John wrote:
I've had a 10 inch Craftsman Table Saw for about 25 years which I bought
used and without an owner's manual. The saw has been used mostly for rough
cuttings, nothing really exact. What I know, I've learned from my many
mistakes. The rip fence is not great, so I have to sort of coax it
parallel with the blade. I raise the blade to max height, take measurements,
the distances, at the front and back of the blade to the fence. I try to get
these measurement exact by moving the front or back of the fence. I have
never made any adjustments to see if the blade is truly parallel with the
guides in the cast iron table top. I don't know if there is an adjustment.
The label on the motor is 1 hp/ 14 amps. The saw model # is 113299040
Manufacture # 1 77 .

Instead of measuring to the blade, measure to the slot. The blade has
be parallel with the slot, in any case. If you can't get it parallel,
or if it won't stay parallel, it's a loss, IMO.

Questions:

1. Can this saw be used in hobby work working, or will I just get
frustrated with the results? Assume I try to build some book cases and
cabinets and then move on to other projects.

Probably, once set up correctly.

2. Would it make sense to spend $300+ on a good fence for this saw ?
Example a Biesemeyer Type if it would fit.

I wouldn't spend that much on it but others are free to disagree. If
you can't get it working without a lot less work and expense than
that, I think a new saw is in order. That's half of the price of a
reasonable saw, so it crosses my fix/new threshold.

3. Is it possible to get an Owner Manual for this saw?

Probably. Have you tried a web search on the model number?

4. I was looking recently at a new 10" General 2 hp , 115 volt Table Saw as
a possible replacement. Thoughts?

Not familiar with that saw. I'd want 240V for anything over 1.5HP, or
so. It can probably be wired either way. Grizzly is also well worth
consideration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, yes and no. You are correct that to get the most out of your table
saw, this is the way to set it up. He's doing rough cutting and for that as
well as any cut using the fence, alignment to the miter slot is really
irrelevant. That of course limits his use of the saw for precise cutting,
but I gather he's not interested in setting up a saw the way we do. Again -
as long as the fence and the blade are parallel, he's set up for any cut
using the fence.

Questions:

1. Can this saw be used in hobby work working, or will I just get
frustrated with the results? Assume I try to build some book cases
and cabinets and then move on to other projects.

Probably, once set up correctly.

Agreed in that it only takes one set up to have a good saw that is not
limited in its use.

2. Would it make sense to spend $300+ on a good fence for this saw ?
Example a Biesemeyer Type if it would fit.

Perhaps. But as evidenced by krw's response below - beauty is in the eye of
the beholder. I spent half that much on a good solid fence system for my
craftsman 10". I've never regretted that purchase. Not everyone needs a
Biesemeyer and probably half the people that buy them don't need them.

I wouldn't spend that much on it but others are free to disagree. If
you can't get it working without a lot less work and expense than
that, I think a new saw is in order. That's half of the price of a
reasonable saw, so it crosses my fix/new threshold.

4. I was looking recently at a new 10" General 2 hp , 115 volt
Table Saw as a possible replacement. Thoughts?

Not familiar with that saw. I'd want 240V for anything over 1.5HP, or
so. It can probably be wired either way. Grizzly is also well worth
consideration.

And - so opens Pandora's box. Ask a question like that and every answer in
the world is applicable to your question. I didn't go the route of a new
saw. I set my saw up. That took a couple of hours. I cleaned my saw up -
that took a couple of hours. I put a decent fence system on it - that cost
about $150. I spent almost that much on a good blade - you're going to do
that no matter what saw you buy. My saw is not the equivilent of some of
the very expense saws that some of the guys here have. But - my saw will
cut properly, repeatedly. It is rock steady. I did not pay $1,000 or
$2,000 or $3,000 for all that I have tied up in my saw. But then again - I
don't use my saw for a living.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2014 7:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

Guys this is from 2007

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 23:24:03 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

[...]

But if he can't get the slot parallel to the fence, he has a pretty
short "line" to measure the "front and back" distance to the fence. If
he can get the slot parallel to the blade, then he can measure the
distance to the fence at the front and back of the table. That'll
make the measurements significantly more accurate.

OTOH, if he can't get this right, the arbor may have so much run-out
that it's a total loss. That was really my point.

Questions:

1. Can this saw be used in hobby work working, or will I just get
frustrated with the results? Assume I try to build some book cases
and cabinets and then move on to other projects.

Probably, once set up correctly.

Agreed in that it only takes one set up to have a good saw that is not
limited in its use.

2. Would it make sense to spend $300+ on a good fence for this saw ?
Example a Biesemeyer Type if it would fit.

Perhaps. But as evidenced by krw's response below - beauty is in the eye of
the beholder. I spent half that much on a good solid fence system for my
craftsman 10". I've never regretted that purchase. Not everyone needs a
Biesemeyer and probably half the people that buy them don't need them.

Agreed. If he can get by spending $100 or so, it's probably worth it.
$300 crosses my threshold but that's just MHO.

[...]

I don't either but that's why I have nice stuff. It's a hobby, so by
definition there is no ROI calculation needed. "Because I want it" is
a good enough answer. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 07:13:28 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 4/10/2014 7:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

Oops. My previous server blocked all this Google barf.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:22:34 -0400, wrote:
Oops. My previous server blocked all this Google barf.

Of course it did. You're too senile to ever think that you could do
something wrong.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 17:35:17 -0700, Doug Winterburn
To clarify, the terms "lefty" and "righty" Boiled down to the bare bones
have to do with the meaning of "equality". A "lefty" believes that
equality means "equal outcome" and a "righty" believes that equality
means "equal opportunity".

Let me clarify. I know what people are trying to say when they use
those descriptions, but I don't classify people in those methods so
essentially they mean nothing to me.

But, by my saying that, I suppose I should be calling krw a right wing
bigot since that description appears to have meaning to him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04/11/2014 07:35 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:02:26 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 04/11/2014 06:36 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 17:35:17 -0700, Doug Winterburn
To clarify, the terms "lefty" and "righty" Boiled down to the bare bones
have to do with the meaning of "equality". A "lefty" believes that
equality means "equal outcome" and a "righty" believes that equality
means "equal opportunity".

Let me clarify. I know what people are trying to say when they use
those descriptions, but I don't classify people in those methods so
essentially they mean nothing to me.

But, by my saying that, I suppose I should be calling krw a right wing
bigot since that description appears to have meaning to him.

But since you said:

"The really sad part of all of this is that the term "lefty" means
absolutely nothing to me."

It means nothing to, um, nothing, because being a lefty, he has no
brain.

you were being deceptive and really did know what he was alluding to.

Nothing knows nothing. He'll continue to demonstrate this simple fact
as long as he's posting here. It's his MO.

And if he wanted to continue with a come back to your name calling, he
could classify you as a left wing socialist/commie. :-)

It would be the truth.

All that being said, you were the one who called me a "lefty" simply
because I mentioned that linux was an alternative to M$. That seems to
be your standard retort just short of the "nazi" thing.

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:39:48 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 04/11/2014 07:35 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:02:26 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

But since you said:

"The really sad part of all of this is that the term "lefty" means
absolutely nothing to me."

It means nothing to, um, nothing, because being a lefty, he has no
brain.

you were being deceptive and really did know what he was alluding to.

Nothing knows nothing. He'll continue to demonstrate this simple fact
as long as he's posting here. It's his MO.

And if he wanted to continue with a come back to your name calling, he
could classify you as a left wing socialist/commie. :-)

It would be the truth.

All that being said, you were the one who called me a "lefty" simply
because I mentioned that linux was an alternative to M$.

It was far more than that. Stupid, maybe but to earn the "lefty" label
you'd need to do a lot more than being a Linux loon. ;-)

BTW, I have nothing against Linux. It's just the Linux loons are
worse than the Windows weenies of the '90s. ;-)

That seems to
be your standard retort just short of the "nazi" thing.

There isn't a difference. Today's left *are* Nazis; the National
Socialist Party *is* the Democratic party. Even the name fits their
agenda.

Posted to rec.woodworking

To _all_ of the parties involved in this current tit for tat insult fest:

I have personally seen this type of behavior destroy another newsgroup, that
was very active until a few members could not control their quality of posts
and personality conflicts. Clare@snyder knows exactly what I mean, as he
was part of that group, RAH.

I beg of all of you, be the bigger man. Even if someone insults you, use
self restraint, and don't fire back a response of any kind. Ignore it.

It would be a shame to see this group die.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:02:26 -0700, Doug Winterburn
"The really sad part of all of this is that the term "lefty" means
absolutely nothing to me."
you were being deceptive and really did know what he was alluding to.

Well, when I said it means nothing to me, I was talking from an
emotional viewpoint. As I've told him repeatedly, it's an ineffective
insult since I'm not in the least offended by it.

However, anyone that disagrees with krw is a "lefty" so I guess it
works well enough for him.

It does confound me though, how he can go through life without the
least sense of humour.
Posted to rec.woodworking

'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the
difference.' -Mark Twain with whom jo4hn agrees.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 11:26:24 -0400, krw wrote:

How can you even live. You're too stupid to even breathe (most lefties
are).

While you are favoring us with another of your erudite discussions :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote

Actually he has a sense of humor.. He is laughing at each of us every time
we argue with him.
He is enjoying that part.. it's a sadistic humor..

Exactly. Which is why everyone else must resist feeding the troll in him,
for the good of the group.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 18:17:00 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 11:26:24 -0400, krw wrote:

How can you even live. You're too stupid to even breathe (most lefties
are).

While you are favoring us with another of your erudite discussions :-)

It's got your interest, for some reason. You must be a real prize!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 18:44:58 -0400, wrote:
It's got your interest, for some reason. You must be a real prize!

What's got people's interest is how much of a fool you are.