Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rikon 14" bandsaw

After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:04:26 -0800, Jeff wrote:

After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I bought the 325. So far, I haven't used it for fine work, but sawing up
12" diameter green walnut logs for turning blanks works quite well.

When I assembled the saw, I found that the table was 1/64" low on one
corner. I assume it sagged when the blade slot was cut - hardly anyone
ages their cast iron anymore. Anyway I sent them an email one evening
telling of the problem and offering to send photographs to prove it. I
got a response the very next morning telling me not to bother, they were
sending me a new table. So I can't fault their customer service.

In short, I'm a happy camper.

Obligatory declaration: I work part time at a Woodcraft store. They sell
Rikon products.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 7:04 am, Jeff wrote:
After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

Jeff

the rikon gets mixed reviews. my take on it is it's a pretty good
lightweight 14" BS. if I were looking for a 14" BS right now and
wasn't in a big hurry, I'd be looking at older (pre 1975-ish) deltas.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Jeff" wrote in message
After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

Jeff

Leon? Didn't you go a couple of rounds with this saw?

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

Jeff

I bought mine a year and a half ago and have no complaints. It does everything they promise. Had to wait a few weeks for a container to arrive, but the price was right and had no tax or delivery charges.

David

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just David wrote:
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

I don't have either of the 14" models but I've owned the 18" Rikon for 2-3 years
and have no regrets.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought mine last summer and have used it to resaw walnut, maple and
cherry boards to laminate riflestocks. I also quartersaw my own high
grade lumber from logs with it. First I cut a 5' log into quarters
with a chainsaw and a cheep bar attachment to keep the saw straight,
then cut off the heart and make a flat by cutting off most of the
sapwood on a large log. I can cut a 32 inch log into quarters and then
quartersaw on the Rikon. I don't intend to do this forever, but untill
I sell enough riflestocks to buy a cheep sawmill, it works for me.

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:04:26 -0800 (PST), Jeff
wrote:

After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote in message
After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

Jeff

Jeff, if you are looking for a replacement saw, I would advise you to look
at better saws in general. About 2 years ago I bought the 18" Rikon and I
have seen that there have been many ongoing improvements to that particular
saw. I returned the Rikon 2 weeks after getting it as it would not hold
adjustments and was loud after cutting green wood. I was looking for an
upgrade and the Rikon was far from the size upgrade that I wanted. I
finally narrowed my search down to the MiniMax and the Laguna and bought the
Laguna LT16HD. It is equal to or greater in features to a good cabinet saw.
Blade changes and set up for those changes are quick and easy and
adjustments hold. I get to spend my time using the saw vs. adjusting the
saw.
If this is your first BS and you understand that with lots of use you will
probably upgrade later on, this is probably a good "first saw" for the
money.
I will say however that my thoughts would be that the Powermatic would be
superior to the Rikon, maybe not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...

"Jeff" wrote in message
After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

Jeff

Leon? Didn't you go a couple of rounds with this saw?

It was the 18"er. I see that they have made improvements to the guide
bearings, however I suspect that they will still be very loud after cutting
green wood if the wood sticks tot he blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Leon? Didn't you go a couple of rounds with this saw?

jc

It was the 18"er. I see that they have made improvements to the guide
bearings, however I suspect that they will still be very loud after
cutting green wood if the wood sticks tot he blade.

My mistake. My memory's not what it used to be. At least I think it's not,
now I'm not so sure.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:28:07 +0000, Leon wrote:

It was the 18"er. I see that they have made improvements to the guide
bearings, however I suspect that they will still be very loud after cutting
green wood if the wood sticks tot he blade.

I had that problem. I cleaned the blade and wiped on some TopKote (or
Boeshield, I don't remember which). No more buildup.
Posted to rec.woodworking
JDH JDH is offline

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:02:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 13, 7:04 am, Jeff wrote:
After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little
research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.
So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?
I'm looking at these models:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

I'd love some feedback, thanks.

Jeff

the rikon gets mixed reviews. my take on it is it's a pretty good
lightweight 14" BS. if I were looking for a 14" BS right now and
wasn't in a big hurry, I'd be looking at older (pre 1975-ish) deltas.

Have the 10-325. It does just fine, and is a good value for the price
point. Re-saws well, and has more that enough power. DC arround the
lower guides could be better, but thats a minor issue. Only had to
make some minor adjustments durring setup, nothing out of the
ordinary. Wheels were co-planer, and ballanced, table was flat
according to my straight edge. Tracks and tensions as advertised.
Overall I'm more than happy with it. Also noticed that Carter has
started to take note of the Rikon and has guid out for it, and 18"
model.
JDH
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:28:07 +0000, Leon wrote:

It was the 18"er. I see that they have made improvements to the guide
bearings, however I suspect that they will still be very loud after
cutting
green wood if the wood sticks tot he blade.

I had that problem. I cleaned the blade and wiped on some TopKote (or
Boeshield, I don't remember which). No more buildup.

Good to hear that. I see that the saw now has micro adjustable guide
bearings. Have you had a chance to check that out?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:02:09 +0000, Leon wrote:

I had that problem. I cleaned the blade and wiped on some TopKote (or
Boeshield, I don't remember which). No more buildup.

Good to hear that. I see that the saw now has micro adjustable guide
bearings. Have you had a chance to check that out?

No I haven't. It's the busy season at Woodcraft. But thanks for the
info. I'll check it out when I get a chance - probably after Festivus.