Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pink wood stain?

I want to stain an electric bass body made from "Swamp Ash" pink. Any
ideas the best way to do this?

Swamp Ash, BTW, is a light weight variety of white ash that grows in the
swamps of Lousiana and Mississippi.

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve" wrote ...
I want to stain an electric bass body made from "Swamp Ash" pink.

[...]

A thin mix of red water-based aniline dye will give a nice pink color. You can make a warmer pink by adding just a hint of yellow, or a more purplish pink by adding a hint of blue.

Won't hide the grain at all, will enhance any curl in the wood.

You could also seal the wood after the pink dye, then fill the pores before topcoating. That way you could get a smooth, shiny pink guitar with any color grain you like.

Topcoating with water-based lacquer will keep the colors from yellowing.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:29:49 -0800, Steve wrote:

I want to stain an electric bass body made from "Swamp Ash" pink. Any
ideas the best way to do this?

Swamp Ash, BTW, is a light weight variety of white ash that grows in the
swamps of Lousiana and Mississippi.

--Steve

Not sure how this would/wood work on ash, but I used a mix of 50/50 Cherry and
Natural Danish oil fro my display cases and they came out a nice warm pink..
For a bass, you probably want something a little more vibrant, though..

You stain trout, also?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like a cool project. I'd use a dye stain from these guys
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com. I imagine a washed out version of
one of the red colors would do the trick. In the trans tints they also
have a sort of purple\magenta that might lighten up in a cool manner.
They have lots of options. Test a few and find something nice.

I've alwasy wanted to do my own maple drums and do some cool coloring
too.

On Dec 10, 9:29 pm, Steve wrote:
I want to stain an electric bass body made from "Swamp Ash" pink. Any
ideas the best way to do this?

Swamp Ash, BTW, is a light weight variety of white ash that grows in the
swamps of Lousiana and Mississippi.

--Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Sounds like a cool project. I'd use a dye stain from these guys
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com. I imagine a washed out version of
one of the red colors would do the trick. In the trans tints they also
have a sort of purple\magenta that might lighten up in a cool manner.
They have lots of options. Test a few and find something nice.

I've alwasy wanted to do my own maple drums and do some cool coloring
too.

I love Homestead, and Jeff really knows his stuff. I suggest you call and
ask him for a suggestion.

Stupid question about wood stain (wood tint) Toller Woodworking 9 March 27th 07 04:16 AM
ZAR Wood Stain James Woodworking 12 December 8th 06 09:38 PM
Pink Stain / Slime in Plastic Shower [email protected] Home Repair 10 September 24th 06 02:46 AM
Stain for Oak ply 7 wood Tom Woodworking 3 May 21st 06 01:55 PM
wood stain, pre-stain, clear coat questions peter Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 08:51 PM