Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pink Stain / Slime in Plastic Shower

My local public water plant says that a pink slime/stain on my plastic
shower surface is from bacteria in the surrounding environment that like
plastic and the nutrients in water. I use scrubbing bubbles every day
but it doesn't seem to help much with this build up. Anyone know the
low-down on this issue and if my water plant is correct?

TIA,
Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

While taking appropriate safety precautions, get some cheap laundry
bleach and apply to the affected areas, typically the floor. Let it
work for a while, then rinse. Follow the dilution directions for
sanitizing.
We get the same buildup periodically in our marble shower. Bleach
kills the bacteria and sanitizes it for a while. Then the shower gets
used and more stuff arrives.

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:07:24 -0500, wrote:

My local public water plant says that a pink slime/stain on my plastic
shower surface is from bacteria in the surrounding environment that like
plastic and the nutrients in water. I use scrubbing bubbles every day
but it doesn't seem to help much with this build up. Anyone know the
low-down on this issue and if my water plant is correct?

TIA,
Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My local public water plant says that a pink slime/stain on my plastic
shower surface is from bacteria in the surrounding environment that like
plastic and the nutrients in water. I use scrubbing bubbles every day but
it doesn't seem to help much with this build up. Anyone know the low-down
on this issue and if my water plant is correct?

TIA,
Dan

Do a search for "pink snow" If I think it's what you're describing it's
basically a benign algae but I'd crack out the chlorine bleach and scrubber
to get rid of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem shortly after I moved in to my current
apartment. I knew someone who, in her own words.. "makes the
water for the town". I guess it's a treatment facility. At any
rate, she'd never heard of it. She asked her supervisor and neither
had he. Within a week, in their professional pulication, was an
article about pink stain. It was somewhat vague, but what I gathered
was that it was a bacteria that grew in hot water only. Similar to
mold, you just keep it clean. However, the root cause could be in my
hot water heater. My concern is... how safe is it. It reccomends not
drinking the hot water. I stick my face in the "bacteria"
hot water every morning in the shower, as does the rest of my family.
If their was mold coming out, I certainly wouldn't be bathing in
it!!! If it is of concern, I should think the landlord shoud replace
my hot water heater. Although it could be in the pipes, as well!!
Sorry, I am not of much help!! Good Luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do a google search pertaining to the pink stain. you'll find that it is
actually an airborne bacteria that causes it. It has nothing to do with the
water.

--
Steve Barker

"ktbona" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom Kendrick wrote:
While taking appropriate safety precautions, get some cheap laundry
bleach and apply to the affected areas, typically the floor. Let it
work for a while, then rinse. Follow the dilution directions for
sanitizing.
We get the same buildup periodically in our marble shower. Bleach
kills the bacteria and sanitizes it for a while. Then the shower gets
used and more stuff arrives.

why do you say cheap bleach? or you just mean it's cheap.

yeah, bleach is cheap.

you know bleach does not remove the mass, it just bleaches it to where
you can't see it.
it removes the color, then the bulk becomes transparent..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Sep 2006 20:30:46 -0700, "chili palmer"
wrote:

Tom Kendrick wrote:
While taking appropriate safety precautions, get some cheap laundry
bleach and apply to the affected areas, typically the floor. Let it
work for a while, then rinse. Follow the dilution directions for
sanitizing.
We get the same buildup periodically in our marble shower. Bleach
kills the bacteria and sanitizes it for a while. Then the shower gets
used and more stuff arrives.

why do you say cheap bleach? or you just mean it's cheap.

yeah, bleach is cheap.

you know bleach does not remove the mass, it just bleaches it to where
you can't see it.
it removes the color, then the bulk becomes transparent..

???!!! I never knew that!

Do others agree?

What DOES remove the mass

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
others agree?

What DOES remove the mass

Aspasia

juss means it doesn't remove the "stuff", it just turns the "stuff"
clear...
it appears to be gone..

now Im not saying that a super fantastic water softener like bleach
will not remove the "stuff".. it certainly could... butcha see... you
got to scrub that stuff off

it's not like bleach is going to dissolve the "stuff"

we only think it's gone because we don't see it

for example, you can't see me right now, but I'm still here!

YES! THANK GOD! I AM STIIIIILLLL HERE

HALLELUYAH!

WOOOOOOOOOOO

CAN I GET AN AMEN?

CAN I BUY AN AMEN?

I can't get no help UP IN HERE!

AIN'T NOBODY HEARING ME!!

I shoulda been dead by now, I should been long gone asta lavista, frank
sinatra, bin laden..

but i am still here

Plastic Sheet For Upper Part Of Shower Stall ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 June 14th 06 12:38 AM
Poor shower Hugo Nebula UK diy 27 December 14th 05 08:27 PM
Dirty folk: third shower proposed! GB UK diy 8 September 10th 03 07:55 PM
Shower screen grumble... David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 September 5th 03 05:49 PM
shower drain for tiled shower floor g UK diy 3 September 2nd 03 01:55 AM