Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool New Tools

I got a newsletter indicating that Festool is going to release 3 new tools
in 2008 starting in late Spring.
Apparently 2 new routers and a SCMS. The German site shows the saw and it
looks to be pretty HD.

http://www.festool.de/mediandoweb/in...1160_p_01a.jpg

Also for our German friends is the new

Die Modul-Kantenfräse MFK 700 mit Wechseltischsystem:
Ideal für wechselnde Anforderung

WOW! Are they Lucky!

I believe this to be a flust trim tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...
I got a newsletter indicating that Festool is going to release 3 new tools
in 2008 starting in late Spring.
Apparently 2 new routers and a SCMS. The German site shows the saw and it
looks to be pretty HD.

And YES of course I posted the wrong link to the SCMS although the one with
adjustable fences looks interesting/ I don't think it will be available in
the West.

http://www.festool.de/mediandoweb/in...1283_p_02a.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
: I got a newsletter indicating that Festool is going to release 3 new tools
: in 2008 starting in late Spring.

There's some information about the flush trim router on The Wood
Whisperer, http://thewoodwhisperer.com/ . Look for the December 6th
entry.

BTW, I like this site (I'm not affiliated). It's got good basic
information for newbies and hobbyists, and the site and videos are
nicely done. All for free, no registration required, donations
accepted.

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.festool.de/mediandoweb/in...oom&sTemplateF...

Also for our German friends is the new

Die Modul-Kantenfräse MFK 700 mit Wechseltischsystem:
Ideal für wechselnde Anforderung

WOW! Are they Lucky!

I believe this to be a flust trim tool.

I already own 3 chop saws. But that adjustable fence looks attractive.

BTW.. I took delivery of their latest Rotex 6" FEQ sander.
I parked it beside my old trusty Rotex. now 4 years old and worked
HARD. (3rd set of brushes now)
At first I wasn't sure I liked the changes...it looked clunky and
weird.
http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...prodid=571594#

After 5 minutes..."ohhh, I get it..." I loved the old Rotex, and I
couldn't have believed there was room for improvement.. somehow they
made a great tool better.

And it is just like Festool to do something so obvious...a two-part
fully adjustable fence....aand then do it so well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/07 12:02 PM, "Chip Buchholtz" wrote:

Leon wrote:
: I got a newsletter indicating that Festool is going to release 3 new tools
: in 2008 starting in late Spring.

There's some information about the flush trim router on The Wood
Whisperer, http://thewoodwhisperer.com/ . Look for the December 6th
entry.

BTW, I like this site (I'm not affiliated). It's got good basic
information for newbies and hobbyists, and the site and videos are
nicely done. All for free, no registration required, donations
accepted.

The podcast is fun and interesting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:29:51 -0500, Robert Haar
wrote:

The podcast is fun and interesting.

I don't have a video IPod, so I don't download "Wood Whisperer", but I
do like the audio sister podcast, "Wood Talk Online".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote:
: I don't have a video IPod, so I don't download "Wood Whisperer", but I
: do like the audio sister podcast, "Wood Talk Online".

You don't need an ipod. I don't have an ipod, but I watch the
"podcast" videos online, in my web browser.

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 00:19:00 +0000 (UTC), "Chip Buchholtz"
wrote:

You don't need an ipod. I don't have an ipod, but I watch the
"podcast" videos online, in my web browser.

I know. G

The whole point of my IPod is that I can listen to it while doing
other things, like driving, flying (when I'm the pilot), mountain
biking, or less demanding shop tasks, like finishing, thicknessing,
and sanding.

I don't really want to watch it on the PC. I also have tons of stuff
TiVo'd that "I never watch", according to my wife.

If I had more free time, I'd definitely watch them, but they go down
the scale (I could be working wood, riding my road bike, reading...
G), when I'm home.

I might watch the programs on a video IPod while traveling, flying
when I'm not the pilot, etc...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You don't need an ipod. I don't have an ipod, but I watch the
"podcast" videos online, in my web browser.

I know. G

The whole point of my IPod is that I can listen to it while doing
other things, like driving, flying (when I'm the pilot), mountain
biking, or less demanding shop tasks, like finishing, thicknessing,
and sanding.

Your left out "brain surgery". LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

And it is just like Festool to do something so obvious...a two-part
fully adjustable fence....aand then do it so well.

You amy be talking about the CMS that we may not be getting. I posted the
wrong link on my first post. The second post is correct for the Kapex
SCMS.

Courtesy of the popwood.com news letter here are some details of the saw
that we should be getting "pretty" soon.

Ok, so how Kapex any different from other sliding miter saws? Festool has
added a number of features that push Kapex past other saws. The bevel clamp
locking mechanism is a simple flip latch located at the top of the tool, not
way around back or in some inconspicuous location as with some other saws.
Lift the bevel clamp and adjustment is all yours. Once adjustments are made
a quick flip down locks everything in position

With the bevel clamp open the first thing you'll notice is the balancing act
of the head. Position the saw head for a bevel cut - right or left - and
wherever you let go, the saw head stays put, even if you're halfway between
a detent. Festool uses counterbalancing springs to hold the head in place.
It's cool

On top of that you are able to fine-tune the bevel with a gear-driven rotary
knob located in one of the rails. Now it's possible to tweak the bevel to
any setting up to and including 47º. Half-degree settings are a snap.

The Kapex is listed as a 10" miter saw, but the cutting abilities would
suggest a 12" instead. This saw affords you generous cutting capacity while
being compact and lightweight. The saw weighs only 47 pounds.

Two additional features really caught my eye, the first being the "fast fix".
This is a system found on other Festool tools that locks the blade for easy
replacement or change. There is no fooling with multiple wrenches. Twist the
knob, grab a wrench and you're back working in no time. And while the "fast
fix" is engaged the trigger is locked out. There's no need to run to the
outlet to unplug the tool.

The second feature I found of interest is how the lasers, the twin lasers,
are adjusted. Don't look at or near the blade or arbor. The adjustment is
located near the handle and the number of adjustments allows you to set the
lasers spot-on based on your particular way of reading the lines. You can
set the lasers to where you split the layout line as you cut, leave the
entire line in tact or make the adjustment to anywhere in between.

Other tools talked about that I'll delve into in a later entry are a trim
router (complete with interchangeable bases), and a large 3hp router that
has a few features I've not seen before including a way to change the base
plates that is ingenious.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:16:48 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Your left out "brain surgery". LOL

You laugh!

One of the local mountain bikers is also the orthopedic surgeon who
has repaired everyone at the bike shop. They often have tunes
crankin' in the OR. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

"Leon" wrote:

Your left out "brain surgery". LOL

You laugh!

One of the local mountain bikers is also the orthopedic surgeon who
has repaired everyone at the bike shop. They often have tunes
crankin' in the OR. G

One of friends and neighbors is an anesthesiologist who works with a renown
heart surgeon. They have a high tech "sound cart" with a high dollar sound
system permanently mounted that they move from OR to OR.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 10, 6:52 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

"Leon" wrote:

Your left out "brain surgery". LOL

You laugh!

One of the local mountain bikers is also the orthopedic surgeon who
has repaired everyone at the bike shop. They often have tunes
crankin' in the OR. G

One of friends and neighbors is an anesthesiologist who works with a renown
heart surgeon. They have a high tech "sound cart" with a high dollar sound
system permanently mounted that they move from OR to OR.

He sounds a lot cooler than the anesthesiologist who knocked me out
today. (For real. I had a mesh put in to fix a rather large
hernia...out-patient)
Those eStone countertops are heavy!

He stank of cigarettes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

He sounds a lot cooler than the anesthesiologist who knocked me out
today. (For real. I had a mesh put in to fix a rather large
hernia...out-patient)
Those eStone countertops are heavy!

Ouch. Sorry to hear that ... hope you're doing well, and take care of
yourself!

He stank of cigarettes.

Funny how that, as an ex-smoker with a nose like a bird dog, there is not
much that is more revolting. One of my SIL's smokes and I can hardly stand
to be in the same room with her, although she's a real sweetheart otherwise.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

"Leon" wrote:
Your left out "brain surgery". LOL

You laugh!

One of the local mountain bikers is also the orthopedic surgeon ...

What is it w/ the orthopedics guys? The fella' here is called "Crash"
(he's a short track driver now pretty good but got the name for his
driving "style" early on...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Funny how that, as an ex-smoker with a nose like a bird dog, there

is not
much that is more revolting. One of my SIL's smokes and I can hardly

stand
to be in the same room with her, although she's a real sweetheart

otherwise.

Thought you were describing me for a moment.

As a recovering nicotine addict (30 years and counting), can tell if a
smoker has even been in a room when I enter.

I'm convinced that nicotine is the most insidious drug on the planet.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 11:27 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I'm convinced that nicotine is the most insidious drug on the planet.

Lew

http://www1.umn.edu/perio/tobacco/nicaddct.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

The smoking thing? What is truly disgusting is to see 15-year old kids
starting up. With what is known today, how could they be so stupid?

I can't understand how they afford it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 8:06 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

He sounds a lot cooler than the anesthesiologist who knocked me out
today. (For real. I had a mesh put in to fix a rather large
hernia...out-patient)
Those eStone countertops are heavy!

Ouch. Sorry to hear that ... hope you're doing well, and take care of
yourself!

Only when I laugh, which in my case is often.... especially when I
visit Das Wreckische Gruppe.
Turns out the mesh doc put in, is the best part of a screen door... or
so it feels.

I'm told that Grolsch is a homeopathic cure for discomfort.

The smoking thing? What is truly disgusting is to see 15-year old kids
starting up. With what is known today, how could they be so stupid?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 3:02 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

The smoking thing? What is truly disgusting is to see 15-year old kids
starting up. With what is known today, how could they be so stupid?

I can't understand how they afford it.

No ****, eh? That crap is starting to get close to a tenner per pack
around these parts.
a pack per day..that's 70 bucks per week..hell, that's a half ounce of
weed furcwyinoutloud.
I can understand raiding your mom's purse for some weed money...but
cigarettes?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Maybe they figure that it's not how long you live but how well.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in

I'm told that Grolsch is a homeopathic cure for discomfort.

LOL ... not a beer drinker, but that word reminds me of something.

Twenty something years ago, give or take, a spiffed up, Madison Ave
looking/talking dude came in the studio to record a commercial, or so he
said. What the flip he was doing in Houston, I have no idea.

Part of the track had this background, Gregorian style, chant:
"Grolsch,Grolsch..." ad infinitum, looped and drowned in $5000 worth of
reverb.

We did all the music, timed it to a gnats ass, then he took off for NY, or
so he said, for the "real talent" ... I assumed he meant some kind of
vocals, but who knows?

Was handsomely paid, and promptly forgot about it.

... about twenty years later, I heard something familiar on the radio, and
it finally dawned on me what they were chanting on that backing track and
realized, finally, that it was a F)(*(&^ beer commercial we recorded!!

All that time I'd thought it was some kind of religious, new age, crystal
bowl meditation shtick/crap ... Hell, I'm coonass and wouldn't have known a
Grolsch from a booger hanging out his nose, but I knew all about Schlitz ...
live and learn.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:52:23 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

One of friends and neighbors is an anesthesiologist who works with a renown
heart surgeon. They have a high tech "sound cart" with a high dollar sound
system permanently mounted that they move from OR to OR.

That's exactly what I'm talkin' about! G