gandalf

Default BeadLOCK loose tennon jointing system - a few questions

I've bought one of these BeadLock things and have been using over the last day
or two. It works, but I'm a little concerned that it might work too well.

It's one of these things: http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/beadlock/

I bought the jig as well as the recommended drills from Trend. All works well
....but...on a fairly large glue-up it was difficult to put it all together.

Observations:
It doesn't produce a close fit it produces an exact fit. This makes the joint
mighty tight without any glue. The first joint I made I tried to dry fit the
tenon and couldn't do it by hand, so I started to whack it with a mallet. Which
worked. Once it was about 1/2" or so in it dawned on me that it wasn't going to
be easy to get it out again. So I stopped, and then spent several minutes with
the mallet whacking the mortised part away from the 'loose' tenon. It is really
really tight. If it wasn't for the slightly flattened edges of the tenon I doubt
even air would escape.

I'm using, well used - because the job is done now, 1/2" tenons on the side
rails of a bench for my CMS. To make life easy I cut all the tenons to length
(all sharp leading edges knocked off) and then glued up the mortises in the
rails, glued and then whacked in the tenons and let the glue set. Easy stuff, so
far. Worked a treat.

Today I fitted the rails (now with tenons) between the rear pair of legs and the
front pair. Mucho difficult. Much cursing, whacking and gnashing of teeth. Not
helped by the fact that I only have the 'F' type clamps and screwing them tight
was almost more than I could do (new clamps tomorrow I think). Anyway it did all
pull together but it was difficult.

So, Questions:

Should a joint be such a 'perfect fit? I worry about all the glue getting
scraped down to the bottom of the mortise. (not that you would ever get it apart
again even if you forgot the glue)

Should I re-drill the mortise with an ever so slightly over sized drill bit on
future projects.? (as it is I can't dry fit anything and have to wing it)

And also, if any of you have one of these toys have you had the same problem and
what, if anything, did you do?

Thanks
(BTW, I think the whole idea of the product is brilliant and it is a breeze to
use, so I'm not knocking it - I just want to make it a little more practical)

Woodman

So, Questions:

Should a joint be such a 'perfect fit? I worry about all the glue getting
scraped down to the bottom of the mortise. (not that you would ever get it

apart
again even if you forgot the glue)

Should I re-drill the mortise with an ever so slightly over sized drill

bit on
future projects.? (as it is I can't dry fit anything and have to wing it)

And also, if any of you have one of these toys have you had the same

problem and
what, if anything, did you do?

Thanks
(BTW, I think the whole idea of the product is brilliant and it is a

breeze to
use, so I'm not knocking it - I just want to make it a little more

practical)

Heres a forum thread you might like to look at:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...adid=4248&high
light=beadlock

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Infinity Router Bits
- Incra Wonder Fence
- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener
- Miller Dowel System
- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels

Leon

Just a couple of thoughts.

1. Are you keeping the bead lock tennon stock in an air tight container to
prevent swelling over time from humidity?
2. Are you putting the joint together ASAP to prevent any swelling from
humidity, of the holes that you drilled?

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:51:41 +0100, "gandalf"
wrote:

It doesn't produce a close fit it produces an exact fit.

Wood doesn't make an exact fit. If you assemble it when it's "exact",
then moisture will either relax it to "close", or split it.

What's your humidity like ? Are the tenons dry and well stored ?

gandalf

wrote:

It doesn't produce a close fit it produces an exact fit.

Wood doesn't make an exact fit.

------------
Well, I acknowledge that you know more than I as to the nature of wood, but from
my perspective it is 'exact', even if the term is wrong.

If you assemble it when it's "exact",
then moisture will either relax it to "close", or split it.

------------
There's a cheery thought.

The wood receiving the mortise is pine and the tenon is birch, if that makes any
difference.

What's your humidity like ? Are the tenons dry and well stored ?

-----------
I've no idea what the humidity is, it is whatever one could expect in a typical
room in an English house. The tenons have been sat here in my study for about
two weeks prior to using them. But these tenons were the ones that came with the
kit. How they were stored before I bought it I don't know, that may have some
bearing. 'Woodman' pointed me towards a forum where this was discussed and the
original poster had a similar problem with the tenons which was alleviated
somewhat by buying new ones.

I intend to get some PVC pipe and a couple of end-caps to make up a container
for the things. This may help prevent any expansion, also I'll keep it in the
house, not the garage (workshop, lol!) I'm not going to give up on this gadget
as it is such a good idea.

Thanks for your input.

gandalf

"Woodman" wrote in message
. ..

Heres a forum thread you might like to look at:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...adid=4248&high
light=beadlock

----------
Thanks for the link. I'll do what he did and buy new tenons.

gandalf

"Leon" wrote in message
Just a couple of thoughts.

1. Are you keeping the bead lock tennon stock in an air tight container to
prevent swelling over time from humidity?

----------
No, they languished here in my study for about two weeks. I will knock up an air
tight container for any more I buy. (I may have caused my own problem)

2. Are you putting the joint together ASAP to prevent any swelling from
humidity, of the holes that you drilled?

--------
Yep, within minutes. The system is so quick and 'easy' that you can create the
joint in no time.

But I think that until I buy new tenons I'm never going to know if the original
tenons were the problem. I'm going to get some, make the mortise and only then
remove the tenons from whatever packaging it comes in. If I can push fit it,
then fine. If I have to beat the hell out of it with a mallet then not fine.
Should the worst happen, i.e. nothing different to first attempt, then I will
call Trend and see what they have to say.

Thanks.

Al Palmer

I've use one a fair amount to build some screens for a porch. Two
thoughts: Buy the router bit and make your own stock. Its a bit
tricky, but you can adjust the fit. Secondly, did you run your bit in
and out of the jig more than once. I drill the hole and then run the
bit in and out several times in each hole. They do fit tight, though.

In article ,
says...
[...]

Henry St.Pierre

gandalf wrote: joint in no time.

But I think that until I buy new tenons I'm never going to know if the original
tenons were the problem. I'm going to get some, make the mortise and only then
remove the tenons from whatever packaging it comes in. If I can push fit it,
then fine. If I have to beat the hell out of it with a mallet then not fine.
Should the worst happen, i.e. nothing different to first attempt, then I will
call Trend and see what they have to say.

Thanks.

If you suspect they swelled due to humidity, put them in your oven set
at its lowest temperature (under 200F) for a bit.
Regards,
Hank