gandalf

Default BeadLOCK loose tennon jointing system - a few questions

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:51:41 +0100, "gandalf"
wrote:

It doesn't produce a close fit it produces an exact fit.

Wood doesn't make an exact fit.

------------
Well, I acknowledge that you know more than I as to the nature of wood, but from
my perspective it is 'exact', even if the term is wrong.

If you assemble it when it's "exact",
then moisture will either relax it to "close", or split it.

------------
There's a cheery thought.

The wood receiving the mortise is pine and the tenon is birch, if that makes any
difference.

What's your humidity like ? Are the tenons dry and well stored ?

-----------
I've no idea what the humidity is, it is whatever one could expect in a typical
room in an English house. The tenons have been sat here in my study for about
two weeks prior to using them. But these tenons were the ones that came with the
kit. How they were stored before I bought it I don't know, that may have some
bearing. 'Woodman' pointed me towards a forum where this was discussed and the
original poster had a similar problem with the tenons which was alleviated
somewhat by buying new ones.

I intend to get some PVC pipe and a couple of end-caps to make up a container
for the things. This may help prevent any expansion, also I'll keep it in the
house, not the garage (workshop, lol!) I'm not going to give up on this gadget
as it is such a good idea.

Thanks for your input.