Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SCMS prferences

Does it matter if the rails on a SCMS are up-down or side-by-side?

If you are not doing framing do you need bigger than an 8" saw?

Is double-bevel an important feature or is single-bevel enough?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"RayV" wrote in message
Does it matter if the rails on a SCMS are up-down or side-by-side?

If you are not doing framing do you need bigger than an 8" saw?

Is double-bevel an important feature or is single-bevel enough?

Rails: Don't know. If you read reviews that says the saw stays in
alignment, that's the most important thing.

8": you don't need bigger than an 8" for framing, and you don't need a scms
for framing either (ymmv). scms with 8" blade will let you crosscut up to
12" wide (roughly). However, you're limited on thick stock. Since you've
already decided on a Scms, I'm going to assume that you need the crosscut
capacity. If you also think you're going to be cutting thick stock, go with
a 12". Of course, now you're really running into $$$ (12" scms's don't come
cheap)

double bevel or single bevel: I think you mean d or s mitre. Double is a
convenience (less flipping of stock, easier when doing crown molding, at
least for me). On better saws, one side will often go to 60 deg while the
other direction will go to 45.

be well, work wood,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Does it matter if the rails on a SCMS are up-down or side-by-side?

As long as the saw can hold alignment during a cut it shouldn't matter.

If you are not doing framing do you need bigger than an 8" saw?

It depends... do you need to cut anything thicker/higher than about
three inches?

Is double-bevel an important feature or is single-bevel enough?

A single bevel is a pain.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
Does it matter if the rails on a SCMS are up-down or side-by-side?

If you are not doing framing do you need bigger than an 8" saw?

Is double-bevel an important feature or is single-bevel enough?

I do most of my stock breakdown with a SCMS and use every bit of the 12"
capacity of my Dewalt . Yesterday I was cutting some 16/4 cherry and almost
didn't have enough. Of course there are work arounds, but I try to move the
heavy boards as few times as possible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Drackman" wrote

I do most of my stock breakdown with a SCMS and use every bit of the 12"
capacity of my Dewalt . Yesterday I was cutting some 16/4 cherry and

almost
didn't have enough. Of course there are work arounds, but I try to move

the
heavy boards as few times as possible.

You suck, Dude!

Nice drive-by!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Frank Drackman" wrote

I do most of my stock breakdown with a SCMS and use every bit of the 12"
capacity of my Dewalt . Yesterday I was cutting some 16/4 cherry and

almost
didn't have enough. Of course there are work arounds, but I try to move

the
heavy boards as few times as possible.

You suck, Dude!

Nice drive-by!

I frequent hardwoods stores and when I see something nice, or particularly
thick, I usually purchase and put it away.

In the past I when I needed specific stock for a piece I was making there
would be nothing great at retail but I would purchase the "best fit" that I
could find. I wasn't happy with those finished pieces so I decided to
change the way I purchased wood.

I pretty much only work in cherry and maple so keeping inventory isn't all
that hard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
Does it matter if the rails on a SCMS are up-down or side-by-side?

If you are not doing framing do you need bigger than an 8" saw?

Is double-bevel an important feature or is single-bevel enough?

Throwing in another thought. I have had a 12" CMS for 8 or 9 years and used
it a lot before I got a cabinet saw. Now I use only when I do a job on
location and the work is strictly framing. The saw is in a store room.
Had I to do it again I would put the money for a miter saw into a better TS.
My miter saw station was great to use but it took up precious room and with
the right cut off sled on the TS I could make repeated accurate cuts with no
more trouble. I eventually took the station down and stored the miter saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
et...
Is double-bevel an important feature or is single-bevel enough?

Throwing in another thought. I have had a 12" CMS for 8 or 9 years and
used it a lot before I got a cabinet saw. Now I use only when I do a job
on location and the work is strictly framing. The saw is in a store room.
Had I to do it again I would put the money for a miter saw into a better
TS. My miter saw station was great to use but it took up precious room and
with the right cut off sled on the TS I could make repeated accurate cuts
with no more trouble. I eventually took the station down and stored the
miter saw.

Leon,

Just curious, what did you use to cut rough lumber to length before jointing
and planing? I would like to free up the space as well, but I never felt
comfortable with that particular operation on the table saw with non-square
(rough) lumber.

Of course, I guess I could use (gasp) a hand saw for rough cutting
length......

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...

"Leon" wrote in message
et...
[...]

"If" I cut lumber to a random length, I use my Milwaukee Jig Saw. It is
almost as fast as a circle saw.
Typically I cut to a shorter workable length after milling to decrease the
amount of possible snipe on the ends.

Of course, I guess I could use (gasp) a hand saw for rough cutting
length......

I'll pretend you did not say that. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 6:49 am, "Joe" wrote:

Of course, I guess I could use (gasp) a hand saw for rough cutting
length......

Nothing wrong with that especially if you have one of these:
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sty15335.html

The end won't be pretty but this thing does cut well right out of the
cardboard sleeve.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 2:19 pm, RayV wrote:
Does it matter if the rails on a SCMS are up-down or side-by-side?

If you are not doing framing do you need bigger than an 8" saw?

Is double-bevel an important feature or is single-bevel enough?

Do you see yourself getting serious about woodworking? If so, you're
thinking way too short term here. A miter saw will last a hobbiest a
lifetime. Unless you're buying it for a specific task, (remodeling
maybe) and know you won't have any further use for it, you should bite
the bullet now and buy the biggest and best you can possibly afford.
You'll grow into it. Otherwise, you'll pay depreciation on two saws -
this one and the one you buy when you realize this one won't do
everything you need.

I always knew I wanted to be a serious woodworker, but I wasn't smart
enough to buy serious tools when I first started out. The experience
wasn't wasted because I appreciate good tools more now than I would if
I had always had them. But I paid for the experience.

DonkeyHody
"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor
judgement."

SCMS question. Dave Woodworking 49 November 7th 07 05:21 PM
Any disadvantage of 12" SCMS versus 10" SCMS [email protected] Woodworking 4 February 15th 05 07:16 AM
SCMS or CMS ?????????????? [email protected] Woodworking 23 October 7th 04 01:00 PM
cms vs scms [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 27th 04 05:21 AM
SCMS max cut? Grant Byrne Woodworking 4 December 7th 03 05:57 PM