Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tormek vs Delta

I have a 25 year old delta 23-700 wet grinder which I have used for
sharpening lathe tools over the years. I notice that there is some
fittings that can be purchased for this machine that allow it to
accept Tormek jigs. WIth the "new" exchange rate here in the US the
Tormek is becoming prohibitively expensive, and I was wondering if my
Delta will procure similar results.
One issue I note in the Tormek literature is that one "re-grades"
the wheel to a finer grit with a grader that they supply. I expect I
cannot do this with my Delta, but then the whole idea seems rather
unlikely-I cannot imagine how this works.

Can anyone who has operated both machines enlighten me here? Should I
just stick with my delta?

Thanks,
Fritz
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Fritz" wrote in message
I have a 25 year old delta 23-700 wet grinder which I have used for
sharpening lathe tools over the years. I notice that there is some
fittings that can be purchased for this machine that allow it to
accept Tormek jigs. WIth the "new" exchange rate here in the US the
Tormek is becoming prohibitively expensive, and I was wondering if my
Delta will procure similar results.
One issue I note in the Tormek literature is that one "re-grades"
the wheel to a finer grit with a grader that they supply. I expect I
cannot do this with my Delta, but then the whole idea seems rather
unlikely-I cannot imagine how this works.

Can anyone who has operated both machines enlighten me here? Should I
just stick with my delta?

Thanks,
Fritz

From what I understand the Tormek uses a special stone that can be made
coarse and fine with the opposite sides of the grading stone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

No, the delta can't but the Jet can, and it uses the same jigs or you can
use the Jet jigs.

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Fritz" wrote in message
I have a 25 year old delta 23-700 wet grinder which I have used for
sharpening lathe tools over the years. I notice that there is some
fittings that can be purchased for this machine that allow it to
accept Tormek jigs. WIth the "new" exchange rate here in the US the
Tormek is becoming prohibitively expensive, and I was wondering if my
Delta will procure similar results.
One issue I note in the Tormek literature is that one "re-grades"
the wheel to a finer grit with a grader that they supply. I expect I
cannot do this with my Delta, but then the whole idea seems rather
unlikely-I cannot imagine how this works.

Can anyone who has operated both machines enlighten me here? Should I
just stick with my delta?

Thanks,
Fritz

From what I understand the Tormek uses a special stone that can be made
coarse and fine with the opposite sides of the grading stone.

Tormek Bill Gooch Woodturning 20 December 23rd 05 03:52 AM
For those experienced with the tormek... brianlanning Woodworking 11 October 11th 05 04:47 AM
$300 tormek brianlanning Woodworking 10 September 30th 05 08:42 PM
Tormek: Can I do this ? Gepitto Woodturning 0 March 28th 05 01:53 AM
Tormek: Can I do this ? Gepitto Woodworking 1 March 28th 05 01:46 AM