Gepitto

Default Tormek: Can I do this ?

Anyone who owns one, knows how fine the grade of the wheel is. I had a couple of tools that were really out of kilter, Skew and a gouge. They really had to have some meat removed to true them up. Well, I haven't a grinder, except for the tormek. I was getting very frustrated with the amount of time I was spending at the wheel, I mean an hour with another to go, if not more. So as I sit back taking a brake and thinking about getting a grinder. I dawns on me to true up the stone and let it dry for a while. After it was dry, I went to the cabinet and got a roll of 120 grit adhesive backed sandpaper and proceeded to wrap the dry wheel and overlap about 4 in.. Other than the slight bump, it was planed true in minutes and ready for the real wheel to fine tune. Anyone see anything wrong with this method. If not , I hope others will benefit from this idea and also save on a grinder for those problematic tools. Also it turns so slow that there is not a chance of taking the temper out of the steel with the proper handling.
Good luck to all,
Richard O'