Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardening Soft Pine

Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:28:34 -0500, "Gary Brown"
wrote:

Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

Thanks,
Gary

I know that Watco penetrates and hardens pine. The polyurethane will
help. Even maple, oak and cherry will dent. Dents are fairly easy to
fix using a hot iron tip and a wet paper towel, although this may
damage a poly finish. In the long run dents can add character to a
piece.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 3:28 pm, "Gary Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

Thanks,
Gary

pine is going to dent. if you put a hard finish on it, the dents will
crack.

get good with it getting distressed or choose a different wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

wrote:

Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

Thanks,
Gary

I know that Watco penetrates and hardens pine. The polyurethane will
help. Even maple, oak and cherry will dent. Dents are fairly easy to
fix using a hot iron tip and a wet paper towel, although this may
damage a poly finish. In the long run dents can add character to a
piece.

I have used the hot iron tip and a wet paper towel method,
Some of the dents came out but I have damaged the poly finish. How can I
fix the damaged poly finish?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 5:28 pm, "Gary Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

Thanks,
Gary

Worry about the edges and corners. Those, you can band
or cap with hard maple or brass. Or you can accept the
dents as part of what makes the piece alive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 10:28 pm, "Gary Brown" wrote:
Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

There is a clear epoxy finish (I think it's epoxy) used for bars that
is
applied in a thick layer.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

make it out of ipe or purpleheart. then when you drop a dish the dish
breaks before the table dents.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Jon is offline

It gets hard the more you stroke it!.......Just kidding, the pine will dent
no matter what type of finish you use, but the harder finishes will crack
when applied to pine and it gets dented.

I recommend using Tung Oil or Boiled Linseed oil as a protectant as they are
forgiving finishes and can easily to retouched up if there is a problem, it
usually can be done without resanding!

Jon

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 2:26 am, Steve knight wrote:
make it out of ipe or purpleheart. then when you drop a dish the dish
breaks before the table dents.

Glass dishes make no sense for this one reason. Better to sell
them and replace them with stainless steel, like our finer
prisons use.